Best way to shut down Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jangelj, Aug 26, 2007.

1. jangelj

jangelj New Member

Oct 23, 2002

Advertisements

What is the friendliest way to turn off a Tivo? I usually just pull the power cable, but I know that can corrupt a drive. Is there a better way? I want to remove my HD to do a backup but want to do it in the least invasive way possible :)

I know it sounds like a silly question (I have searched and didn't find an answer). But after my last HD crashed I am particularly cautious.

John

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Actually that is the only way to shut down tivo. I know for anyone who has used a computer that sounds ridiculous, but supposedly the tivo disk/file format is more foregiving of this type of interruption.

If you are super cautious, you could put it in stand-by first and make sure it is not recording anything.

3. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    If I need to shut one down, I go into the menu to force it to reboot, and then I unplug it at the "Welcome, powering on" screen. Basically, I try to unplug it very early in the boot process, when if it's doing anything disk at all it should be reading it read-only still anyway.

This is almost certainly not necessary, but it's how I do it.

4. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Too me that would be like rebooting a PC from the power switch then plugging the plug...

This is a design flaw/problem with Tivo, for it never shuts down... There should be an on/off switch...

Do you leave your home PC on 24/7 ?

5. jangelj

jangelj New Member

Oct 23, 2002

Advertisements

Yes, I leave my home PC on 24/7 (not 365...I do shut it down occassionally).

I know it is bad to pull the plug while it is recording, the problem is, it is ALWAYS recording the buffer. I was thinking about going into the settings where you can change the settings for how your sattelite box changes channels. When you go into that menu option you get a message that says "to access these settings, the recorder will cease all recording activity" or something to that effect. I am going to check and see if that includes recording the buffer. If so, maybe it is worth going into that setting and then pulling the plug?

Maybe I am WAYYYY overthinking this. But who can blame me. My last power outage completely fried my HD.

John

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Just pull the plug.
    A power outage is very different than you pulling the plug.

7. jangelj

jangelj New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    I'm not arguing, but I am wondering how it is different?

My "power outage" wasn't typical. The power went out at my house early in the AM. My UPS beeps when it is running on battery. After about 5 minutes, I figured the power wasn't coming on anytime soon, and since the tivo was not recording, I simply shut off the UPS. The beeping was going to wake the kids...nooooooo.

Now the tivo did come up and seemed fine, but the next day, while watching a recorded show, it shut down and started the reboot/GSOD cycle. It has the click of death. I have to think shutting down the tivo precipitated the HD failure.

Side note: dd_rescue found 60,000 errors. The HD is in the fridge now. I am going to cool it down and see if that helps.

John

8. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    What a bummer, fried Tivo, how tasty ? JK...

I went out this weekend and purchased a combo surge protecter/battery backup unit...

What with having a plasma set, I didn't want to damage the tube by shutting down improperly from allowing cooling by the fan, not to mention having surge protection from any electicial spikes...

I can only guess, that shutting down the Tivo completely, should be done in "standby mode"... JMO

9. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    No. The optimum time to unplug a Tivo is at the Welcome screen, but it really doesn't matter.

The disk is still spinning/recording in standby, so it's no different unplugging the box in standby than any other time.

10. ricklevine

ricklevine New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I have three TiVos and I have been shutting down my TiVos by unplugging them ever since I've had them, going on 7 years now, and haven't had a problem yet.

And, yes, I do leave home without turning off my computers. They are also on 24/7 as well as my server.

11. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    The freezer works better and is quicker, if the HD is failed in that way. It just needs a few hours in the freezer. But put it in a Ziploc bag first.

12. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Loss of power to the Tivo is the same in both instances. How is this different in any way, unless there's a power spike at the moment just prior to an outage? Killing the circuit breaker is the same as pulling the plug or losing power due to an outage.

13. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    yes

no.

Outages are pretty commonly accompanied by surges and/or sags both in the moment of failure, and when the power is restored. They are usually not sufficient in magnitude to damage most appliances, but at the least they are not good, and it is not the same as turning off via switch/breaker/power cord.

14. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I usually find that when I need to pull the plug on my TiVo, it's because the darn thing has frozen up. Again. That's a Humax for you! My S2DT doesn't seem to have that problem, and I can't think of one time I've had to force a reboot by unplugging it. If I feel the need to reboot the S2DT, it's because I'm messing about with the network or T2G and then I restart the TiVo, not unplug it to reboot.

15. Brighton Line

Brighton Line Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Same here on my 80 hour Humax, when I have to pull the plug 9 times out 10 the box is frozen.

16. JasonRossSmith

JasonRossSmith Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not that you likely "need" to but if you really want to be careful:

1) Go to Tivo Central
    2) Select "Messages & Settings"
    3) Select "Standby"

It doesn't really turn it "off" but is the best you could get without getting fancy, hacking, etc.

17. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Makes perfect sence to me... That is the way I'd shut the device down, rather than to just unplug it...

I wouldn't think of pulling the plug while my PC was operating, so why should it be any different with the Tivo, isn't it a mini-PC as well?

18. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    But what do you do if your PC freezes up?

19. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Just pull the plug. That's how it's DESIGNED to shut off. It does zero harm to it.

20. Squeak

Squeak Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    a TiVo is different -- it uses a different file system that can recover from sudden outages. Standard PC's running windows need the ability to commit files in memory before the shutting down.

The one and ONLY way to turn a tivo off is pull the plug.

Also, starting and stopping hard drives are much harder on them than long-term continual use.