Best way to sell a S3 HD XL?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by farmermac, Jan 31, 2012.

1. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    I recently ordered a Premiere with lifetime sub from TiVo to replace my S3 HD XL. My subscription is up in mid May and the recent update to the UI on the Premiere combined with a deal by Tivo convinced me to make the jump.

Now I'm debating on what to do with my S3 HD XL.. It is on the yearly $129 plan and is active until May 20th.

Part of me wants to sell it with the remaining subscription to entice a buyer to get on the $129/yr plan. TiVo made it clear if I cancelled the sub (offered partial refund on sub) that the new buyer would only be able to sign on at $19.99 / month or lifetime sub - decreasing the box's attractiveness significantly.

The other part of me wants to keep the 1tb hd for my new premiere and get a refund for the partial sub - that would yield about the same amount that the S3 would yield on ebay.

Then sell the box for parts for $70-80 without a HD.

When I call to cancel the S3 service, if offered a lifetime sub for $99 (which I know was offered at one point to upgrading customers) I'd obviously prefer that. Not sure if that is still happening.

So what's the general advice?

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Try to get the $99 lifetime as you suggest, otherwise I sure can't think of anything to make S3 easy to sell at a good price.

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I agree with Chris. Keep calling Tivo until you get a friendly person to offer the $99 lifetime. Without the hard drive I think you would have a hard time getting much out of the box. With the lifetime, you're likely looking at around $400 (check eBay for latest listings). There's also an eBay forum here where you could list it.

4. farmermac

Jan 31, 2012
    thanks for the opinions. I didnt know if TiVo still offered this deal. Last post I can dig up in any forum about it is from months ago.

Too bad a 1tb hard drive is about $130 right now... Its hard to believe a TiVo box is so worthless without service, TiVo Xl's with 1tb disks sell for less then what a 1tb disk sells for on Ebay

5. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    You could always put in a smaller HD and keep the 1TB for yourself. Even the original that came with it, if you still have it.

6. farmermac

Jan 31, 2012
    Is there a way to get a drive to boot the tivo software without instantcake?

The box came with a 1tb (its a HD XL). I have spares sitting around that are smaller I'd throw in, but I don't have a instant cake image and its not possible to clone to a smaller drive using any of the common tools used to go up a size. Im all ears, if there's a way.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Are you sure? I thought the existing tools could make a "limited backup" without shows and such.. and then you could restore that to any size drive..

8. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    O.K., my bad. I did not realize an XL came standard with a 1TB drive.

Have you tried a truncated backup with winmfs?? You are not trying to clone the drive. Just install the Tivo software on it.

9. Feb 1, 2012 #9 of 24
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Something's wrong here. Sub cost on a Series 3 (anything older than S4, actually) should be $12.95 per month, unless the new owner qualifies for MSD, and then it's $9.95 per month.

$19.99 and MSD $14.99 should only apply to S4 models.

Remember, that 1TB drive in there is a few years old and has been running all this time, which isn't as bad as being turned on and off several times a day for the same number of years, but not as good as sitting quietly on a shelf.

10. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The limited backup (called truncated backup in WinMFS) doesn't change the value of the drive size that the image was taken from so he would still need at least a 1TB drive for the XL. If it was a regular HD upgraded to 1TB then he could use the image from an original 160 GB drive to install on a drive smaller than 1 TB.

11. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    And I suppose he couldn't use an HD image in a smaller drive?? It needs to be an XL image if it's going to be used in an XL machine?

12. farmermac

Jan 31, 2012
    im not sure on a HD / HD XL image, i would imagine it needs to match though because apparently a few of the chips are different to get THX certification. TiVo are locked down pretty tight and I'd rather use a factory correct image anyways. I spent some time trying to downgrade to a slightly smaller disk a few weeks ago when I thought my HD was failing. It doesnt work, unfortunately. I just wanted to rule out the HD by using a spare one i had around.

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That is correct.

The software verison for one ends in 652 and the other in 658.

You can boot one with the software for the other, but sooner or later it's going to come back to bite you.

14. AnthonyWeiner

AnthonyWeiner New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I've gotta HD XL with lifetime - 3 years in April. - No mods to it. I look at it as around 2/3 paid for itself. Comcast first CC is free. DVR's ran about $15 to $20 over the lifetime so far.

2 questions....

1. How much do they go for online and where would you sell it? I was thinking Amazon since I've gotta account set up for selling, but would EBay be a better choice?

2. Do multiroom transfers with a Premiere work OK with a HD XL? I know it'll be slower. You see the other box on each other in NPL and such? Also, I'm thinking of moving the CC to the Premiere and just leaving the HD XL empty for storage, MRV, and recording the "OTA" HD channels from the cable line in the bedroom. It's all hardwired BTW.

Thoughts? Comments? Experiences?

Thanks.

15. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
  16. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Try to get the $99 lifetime. Just tell them you are going to deactivate or cancel your S3. They should, after checking their little screen, offer you a $99 Liftetime. I believe they still are because they would rather take you $99 then get NOTHING.

Then TiVo's with Lifetime command big bucks, ESPCIALLY with LARGE HDD's, at around the $400 stated in a previous post. The units without Lifetime just don't get the bucks, but the Lifetime units are the big Lotto win for you.

You know how they say that Kitchens and Bathrooms sell houses. Well Disk Capacity and Liftetime Service sell TiVo's on Ebay. :).

17. farmermac

Jan 31, 2012
    As soon as I'm done transferring my shows I'm calling TiVo to get this $99 lifetime deal. Hope I get it. This premiere box is working out extremely well. The new interface is incredible. I'm thinking of buying a second one with lifetime.

18. farmermac

Jan 31, 2012
    Called in today, the agent initially offered the $99 lifetime upgrade when I inquired about cancelling the service on the box. He had to check with supervisor and asked me what I was planning on doing with the box. I told him that it would stay in my bedroom, and he checked with his supervisor again. He came back and said that he could not offer the $99 lifetime on the box because I hadnt had the box on my account for a minimum of 3 years. Apparently that is the rule they go by for approving lifetime for $99 on TiVo Series 3.

I am not quite ready to cancel the series 3 yet (still have about 500gb to transfer...At the rate of transfer its going now, i should be done next year...) so we'll see if the retention deal is offered when I am actually ready to cancel.

19. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008

Keep calling back to cancel. You might get a different result.

20. farmermac

Jan 31, 2012
    Advice heeded... $99 lifetime added to my old TiVo HD XL. My current subscription is paid until May but in my account it now says "Scheduled plan: $99.00 Product Lifetime service" due for May 21st this year. Cool! Im wondering whether I should sell this box and get another Premiere for multi room streaming or keep the HD XL and just be merry. At first I was going to just go down to 1 TiVo premiere but now im thinking i want one for each of my TVs since the lifetime was so cheap.