Best way to record Sportscenter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mishafp, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1 of 26
    mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006

Advertisements

I wanted to get some thoughts on how people record ESPN sportscenter. I want to have a full episode ready every morning... I have thought about two options:

1. Put on a season pass, keep until i delete, save at most one episode. The advantage of this is that I willl have the most recent sportscenter. The disadvantage, is that it seems that because there are so many showings, my TIVO will be recording sportscenter like half the day.

2. Put a manaul repeating recording from like 5AM to 6 AM- this is what I have been doing, and the biggest problem with it is that sportscenter sometimes gets switched to 5:30, and then either I must record an hour and a half and fastforward, or watch from the middle of it.

Both of these options are pretty good- but I wanted to see what other people did and if they had any other suggestions.

2. Nov 8, 2006 #2 of 26
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    your best bet is to buy another TiVo and dedicated it strickly to sportscenter.

3. Nov 8, 2006 #3 of 26
    arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I record 6-7:30 every morning, keeping one episode. It's not a drama that must be watched from the beginning, and so I don't care about the recording of the Sunday night/Monday morning edition "starting" with the last half-hour. I don't watch every morning, though. I watch if there are highlights or features I want to see, but sometimes I don't hear about those until later in the day.

4. Nov 8, 2006 #4 of 26
    LordGoofy

LordGoofy The Lord Of Goofy

Dec 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    I have a manual recording scheduled at 6am to 7am every morning and only keep one episode.

5. Nov 8, 2006 #5 of 26
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

Goofy! :)

6. Nov 8, 2006 #6 of 26
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I think Sunday night/Monday Morning SportCenter's are 1 hour and 30 minutes. So you would need more than one manual recording setup. You could setup a recording that is every day, then one that is only monday. Then set the second one with the higher priority. Also, if you have a dual tuner, this would still record the first one which you would have to delete.

7. Nov 8, 2006 #7 of 26
    Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Using that tatic won't it only record the first SC encountered and only record another one after you delete that first one?

8. Nov 8, 2006 #8 of 26
    rhain

rhain Member TCF Club

Nov 3, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    I have a manual recording of SC for 5:00 am to 6:00 am. Occasionaly I have to sit through the first half fisrt and the second half second. I have not noticed it that much though

9. Nov 8, 2006 #9 of 26
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No, only if you set it to keep until I delete would it require you to delete it.

10. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Isn't that what the OP mentioned or am I just going crazy?

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    This is exactly what I do. I have one that records from 4 am - 5 am every morning and then another one that records for 90 minutes on Monday mornings that supercedes the first one. Works very well, although depending on the time of year, the Monday morning recording doesn't always start at the beginning, but using skip to tick it's easy to find the beginning, watch from there, and then go back to the beginning of the recording when it gets to the end.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes, that's what the OP said, and you are correct that it won't work if he does that. If he just sets up a standard SP, he has to set it to only keep one episode and to NOT Keep Until I Delete.

13. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Ok I feel better. I thought I might have been studying too hard for all my tests this week and I was misreading things. That would be bad as the test tonight requires me to read and comprehend.

14. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    As to the disadvantage, your tivo is recording something all the time. Put the season pass at the bottom of your list, so if there's anything else going, it won't get recorded.

15. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    The DVR is always recording something. Regardless, he will always have "one" edition of SC, but it won't be the most recent; it will be the first scheduled edition after he deletes the ep in the NPL.

16. mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Is this true? I cannot get TIVO to simply keep the most recent sportscenter episode only? I thought it would be cool to always have the most recent sportscenter saved on my TIVO- are you telling me that this is not possibly unless I want to clog up my TIVO with dozens of recordings :mad: ?

17. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    If it's set for KAM=1 & KUID then it will record the next ep available and not record another until you delete that one. If you want the most recent then just set the KAM=1.

18. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    I do this with the nightly news, and it works fine (I don't have the issue of that running 10 times a day), but basically it keeps each night's news until the following night. I think this should work for the OP, unless he wants to be able to watch yesterday's show late the following day, after it's been replaced.

19. mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Thanks- this is very helpful.

20. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I just do manual recording of sportscenter from 5-6:30 and always get it and don't have to worry about repeats or deleting it or whatever