Best way to get OTA HD on Hr10-250

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by restino, Aug 26, 2007.

1. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    What is the best way to get OTA HD channels on my HR10-250?

Can I get it if I get the correct dishsetup or does it only come through a OTA antenna?

If it is only then antenna, then what is the best antenna to get and how would I know ahead of time if I even get any signals in the area worth doing this?

I'm guessing I can only watch local HD channels and that no other HD channels are available to me - unless I pay a monthly high def fee to directv?

Thanks!

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    The only way to get OTA HD is to hook up an antenna to the back of the HR10-250, and tell the box you have an antenna hooked up.

Start here to find out if you can receive OTA HD, and what antenna would work best.
    www.antennaweb.org

Any other HD content would not be OTA, as it is received via the dish.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to get local stations HD through DirecTV, but that is very limited for now, and will be even less as they will be on the new satellites that the HR10-250 can't see, tune to, or record from.

phox

3. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    thanks, mine says "You need a Medium Directional Antenna with pre-amp"

where is the best place to buy them and do i have to run the line all the way to the rooms or somehow to the multi-switch master box in the master bedroom?

any idea how big this antenne is going to be? also, im 45 miles from the farthest source is says so i wonder if i cant use an indoor antenna? anybody have luck with this at my distance (on antenna.org site - 2 red, the rest blue, except for the last channel CBS-DT 8.1 whatever that is supposed to be)

how do i view these channels instead of the normal directv local channels?

thanks!

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    At 45 miles, you need an outdoor antenna. I'm 37 miles from most of the transmitters in my area and an indoor antenna just does not work. There are many places to buy these, but a popular choice is www.antennasdirect.com This is where I bought my "Lacrosse" amplified antenna which works well and isn't ugly.

"CBS-DT 8.1" means that this is a CBS affiliate with a digital TV signal corresponding to VHF channel 8. By itself this does not tell you the actual channel it is transmitting on (usually a UHF channel but not always.)

On the HR10, you rerun guided setup and say you have an antenna plus satellite. It will then scan the antenna input and figure out what you can receive. You'll get guide information for channels in your market. If you discontinue DirecTV service. you'll lose the guide info and won't be able to record.

5. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    You might want to check out the AVSForums. There are a lot of discussions regarding proper antenna selection and setup.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  7. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    do i have to run additional lines from my roof directly to each room? or does it connect into the sat cables at some point?

thanks to all those that answered! you guys blow me away with so much knowledge and superior help!

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can use a device called a "diplexer" to combine the antenna signal with the satellite signal on one (or more) lines, and then again to split the antenna signal out from the line. This won't work if you have any MPEG4-capable DirectV boxes once the new satellite comes online.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If you have a 5x8 multiswitch, then you can diplex the antenna into it. Then at each receiver you use one of the sat lines to diplex the OTA off for the ant input. However, if you plan to upgrade to the new MPEG4 sats with the 5 LNB dish, this is all moot. You would do much better by running separate lines .

Dang, too slow again!:)

10. joelq

joelq New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    It depends a great deal on what is between you and the broadcast antennas. I live in a far north suburb of Dallas and am about 40 miles from the antenna farms. I am able to receive all the local HD channels with an antenna I purchased at Radio Shack 12 years ago. I don't remember how big it is, but maybe an 80" boom?

I also have the antenna in my attic (2-story house), so I wouldn't necessarily assume that it has to be installed outside.

11. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    According to AntennasDirect, mounting an antenna inside the house (even in the attic) reduces signal strength by half. But this does work for many people.

12. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006

JimSpence - dont worry about being too slow. you have 10,000 more posts then him! hehe

i do have multiple 5x8 switches at the main master box in the house. im guessing i need to run a cable from the antenna down to that box as well. and i bet i stick that cable into the third input not being used on those 5x8 switches eh? is that what you mean by diplex in my context then?

as for the diplex into the hr10-250 unit what do i need to buy to get that signal separated again? im guessing its going to take 1 input and split it into 2 lines for me.

lastly, when i go to select local channels, do they come up differently on my tivo guide then they do now? how does the tivo know which one to give you local OTA or sat local?

thanks!

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If you look on your 5x8 switch, it is the fifth input labeled "ant" or something similar. Then you get a "diplexer" to split the OTA off. It is indeed a 1 in 2 out unit, but it isn't just a regular splitter. And it should only pass DCV on the sat leg.

14. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    oh dang it i was wrong. i have 2 4x8 multiswitches, not a 5x8. i only have 2 extra inputs that are 13v and 18v. guess that means i cant do this unless i switch them out. just bought them a few months ago too.

15. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    does anyone know if my 2 4x8 multiswitches connected together can take an OTA antenna as input?

i only have 2 extra inputs that are 13v and 18v.

thanks

16. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No, they can't. You're describing satellite inputs.