Best way to connect 3 componets ATSC dvd recorder, Cable Box , and Tivo Series2 Dual

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by netflex99, Jul 19, 2007.

1. netflex99

netflex99 New Member

Jul 19, 2007

Advertisements

OK Here is what i have and what i would loke to do

Westinghouse 47 Monitor
    Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner
    Samsung DVD-AR650 DVD Recorder ATSC/QAM
    Digital Cable Box

I want to conect all three to my monitor through the HDMI Cable what would be the best way to dasiy chain these together to get this result.

Thanks
    Netflex

:eek:

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Can we assume that since you called this a "Monitor" that it does not have any tuners?
    Do you want to save Tivo programs to the DVD recorder, or just be able to record off of the TV to the DVD Recorder?

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Get an HDMI switcher:

Code:
              +-------------------+
             ||                   ||
             ||                   \/
    cable -split-> cable box --> S2DT --HDMI--> HDMI switcher --> TV
                             ||                 /\
                      video/audio output        ||
                             ||                HDMI
                             ||                 || 
                              +--inputs--> DVD Recorder
    This is similar to my setup except I have an S3 and not an S2DT. I've got the S-Video/composite audio outputs on the S3 connected to the inputs of the DVD recorder so I can archive shows.

edit: added split in cable for S2DT

4. netflex99

netflex99 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    windracer

thanks for the reply looks good accept for one thing how do i get the OTA (ATSC) Stations to show up there is no coax going to the in on the dvd recorder?

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh

Advertisements

I believe that windracers solution would give you all the flexibility that you would want, except:

1) You would need to connect an antenna to the DVD Recorder to use it's capabilities to record OTA HD. I didn't think that the model that you have has a QAM tuner as you specified, thus not able to record from cable. You sure of the spec?

2) This also would not provide capability to use the second tuner in the Tivo. To get this you need to split the coax before the cable box and feed the second coax directly into the Tivo.

6. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Whoops, I missed that (as I said, I don't have an S2DT). I've updated my "diagram."

I guess I missed that you wanted to connect an antenna to the DVD recorder, so yes, you'd have to add another connection to the DVD's inputs from whatever source you're talking about (antenna?).

7. netflex99

netflex99 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    JRM

I have not already purchased the samsung unit yet that was just the one i was thinking about or maybe the Toshiba D-vr650 do you have any other recommendations.

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    OP didn't mention that he wanted antenna, but since that's one of the main features of this recorder I assumed he did.

By the way, OP has longer discussion going on with a duplicate thread over at Coffeehouse, so I guess he's done with this one, although they seem to be haeded in a diferent direction.

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Connect antenna to your ATSC tuner.

The Series 2 DT does not have HDMI out, S-Video is its best.

To keep the S2DT and the cable box, you will need to use the S-video in on your monitor and switch between that and the HDMI for OTA HD.

For an all-in-one solution, consider the Series 3.

10. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I'm not that familiar with these units, but my understanding is that in order to make them affordable (and still advertise them as HDTV recorders) they only have the ATSC tuner for antenna input. Also, they do not have the compression and decoding ability for full HD, so they downconvert the signal to 480p, store it, and then play it back as upconverted format. In other words, not much better than a normal Upconvert DVD recorder, except it can receive OTA HD and pass it thru to your TV Monitor live.

11. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    If you take windrunners revised diagram and eliminate the HDMI switcher, then just connect the Tivo s-video and r/w audio to the TV inputs.

You can also connect an antenna to the DVDR and its HDMI output to the TV Monitor.

This will allow you to use the Tivo for all SD conent from cable, and the DVDR tuner for OTA HD for your TV Monitor.

You will also be able to dump TIVO recordings to the DVDR, as well as record OTA HD on the DVDR, although at what I believe to be down rezzed 480p format.

12. netflex99

netflex99 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    one second

13. netflex99

netflex99 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Would this work?

Cable Box > Splitter >1 to ATSC / DVDr in > 1 to Tivo in > out from dvdr to the 2nd in on the tivo > S-video out of the tivo to the S-Video In on DVDr > HDMI out from DVDr to Monitor

14. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    :eek: Wow, can't believe I missed that! I was just duplicating my S3 setup and it didn't even occur to me that the S2 boxes don't have HDMI. Total brain fart on my part ... sorry! :eek:

15. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    "Out from DVDR to the 2nd in on the Tivo" wouldn't do anything for you. Tivo can't record the HD signal from DVDR. Also, you would lose full functionality of second tuner on Tivo.

I think your going to have to live with two input sources on your TV, and switch between them. One for Tivo content, one for DVDR input.

16. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah, I was in the same camp too until classicsat woke us up.

17. netflex99

netflex99 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    OK well thanks