Best way to ask for discount from D*

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wallyj, Jun 22, 2004.

1. wallyj

wallyj New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Ft Worth, TX
    My unit is coming today from CC. I just switched to D* 2 months ago in anticipation of getting it. I got a free SD Tivo and 2 free receivers (all after rebate of course) from Ultimate when I signed up, as well as programming discounts from D* for a few months.

Is there any way I can qualify for the $250 some of you have gotten?

How should I ask to give me the best chance to get it?

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    If you just subscribed, DirecTV is years from even breaking even on you. If you have been a subscriber for years, then all you can do is call and ask. I have never heard of a very recent subscriber being given a credit to buy an HDTV receiver. I was a subscriber for about 6 years minus a couple of several month suspensions of service when I was away from my DirecTV equipment when I called to get a credit to upgrade to HDTV. All I did was call and ask and my account was reviewed and current service level verified and the credit given.

In any event, all you can do is call and ask. Some report success by calling and claiming they are going to switch to cable if they aren't given a credit. Of course if that is a lie or if you are still subscribing during a commitment period, that is not the way to do it.

Chris

3. wallyj

wallyj New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Ft Worth, TX
    Thanks, Chris!

4. Paperboy2003

Paperboy2003 Wasting time here

Mar 30, 2004
    Randolph,...
    I've been with D* for around 7 years. I was able to receive a 300+ credit shortly before activating my HD Tivo by leveraging a couple of points.

I told them I had received an offer from my local cable co offering to buy my sat. equipment for 400 bucks. I also went on how they dont charge for the HD channels they provide and how they offer movies on demand. I said that I was disappointed in the fact that cable also offered a rental program for dvr's and that D* didn't.

Don't bring up that you 'heard' that people were getting credits and also don't talk to customer service to try and get a credit; go straight to retention. They will only be willing to give credits if they truly believe that they are about to lose you.

Good Luck,

Doug

5. Axiom

Axiom New Member

Nov 29, 2000
    Austin,...
    I think this is an important point. It seems that most of the people who brought this up were told that it was an internet hoax and everyone on the forum was lying about it. :)

6. jalferes

jalferes New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    When I called yesterday (1-800-824-9081) direct line to retention - they game me a $100.00 credit plus $10.00 a month off my hbo for 6 months and free Showtime for 6 months. Not as good as some people got - but I have only had select choice for programming until recently upgrading to the hdtv package. I told them I wanted to buy the new hd-tivo but needed some incentive before I could spend $1,000.00 - they put me on hold and reviewed my account - then tried to get by with the $100 credit - I told them I thought they could do better - they offered the hbo credit - I said it still didn't seem like enough of an incentive - and then they threw the Showtime in. This is all before purchasing the unit - they have my account noted - and when I get my unit all i have to do is call in for the credits. Good luck !!

7. Dean Martin

Dean Martin New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    I disagree, there is force in numbers. You can start out using the normal conversation but in the end you may have to play your full hand and tell them that all these other people are getting credit and you just want to be treated the same as everyone else. The tell them your race and maybe they are discriminating against you. Ok, I'm kidding there. :D

But seriously, I started out just asking if there were any specials for purchasing an HD tivo since they had normal Tivo specials and then I worked my way up from there.

Don't hang up without getting something. If you have to, bring up Voom, etc. but progress along those lines & be sure and mention how you would hate to switch & your long term relationship with them.

They can accuse us of lying but these is a respectable board, not some fly by night internet site.

8. videoholic

videoholic New Member

Jan 14, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    Well it's not fly by night, but respectable? That's pushing it. ;)

9. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Tivo-dependent

May 11, 2004
    30 miles NW...
    I switched from E* in January. In May, I called retention about a credit since I was purchasing the expensive (!!) HD-Tivo. The CSR immediately offered me a $150 credit and free Showtime or HBO for $2/month for six months. I chose HBO (since I already subscribed and prefer its programming). When I activated the Tivo, I asked about free Showtime and received it also for six months.

10. Paperboy2003

Paperboy2003 Wasting time here

Mar 30, 2004
    Randolph,...
    I also should've mentioned to bring up Voom which I did a lot. Now that 7s is online and we might be seeing more HD it might be a hollow point, but 6 weeks ago it helped.

There's also a good chance that they might 'call your bluff.' I brought up Voom a lot and they told me that they couldn't do much for me and told me to investigate more. I called back again a few hours later, got a different CSR and worked out the 300+ credit (programming and direct). There seems to be a big difference between what some people in Retention are willing to do versus others. So if they tell you to go ahead and shop around, just call back a few hours later and try again. There's money there to be saved!

Doug

11. Dean Martin

Dean Martin New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    Tell them to transfer you to the department that handles disconnecting service.:D

12. scooby2

scooby2 Member

Dec 24, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    What about those of us who already activated already? Any tips or tricks?

13. steuert

steuert TivoGeezer

Mar 12, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    My guess is that there are three basic factors DTV looks at when deciding whether or not to give you some freebies: (1) How long you've been a customer and how much you spend with them each month; (2) Whether you are really likely to quit if you don't get some kind of discount; and (3) How much extra revenue the freebie is likely to produce for DTV.

#3 may be the most important - e.g., if you tell them you want a 3 LNB dish to receive the extra-cost HD channels, IMO they are more likely to give it away free than if all you want it for is to view a couple of free channels that are not on their A satellite. Even if you want a different dish and/or a multiswitch in order to add a receiver, they will make $5/mo. extra from the mirroring fee, and since this is almost pure profit it will pay off pretty soon even if it costs them $50 or so to give you the multiswitch.

As suggested above, it certainly doesn't hurt to try in any case, and the Customer Retention CSR's are more likely to give you freebies than the first CSR who answers the phone.

14. The Crane

The Crane New Member

May 7, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    Mine was activated for a good 2-3 weeks when I called. I just told them I prefered to purchase equipment through them and when I couldn't I bought it from CC. I simply asked if there was anything they could do to help me offset the cost from buying it at a retailer. She offered me $150 which I happily excepted. I figured, "take what you can get!"

Credit was on my account the next month.

Edit: And I spend about $60 a month. I was with D* for 2 years at our old house, then I left to go to Comcast which I FREAKING HATED! Then I went back to D* about a year ago. So technically I have only been a customer for about 10 months now, in their book because they didn't see me as a customer before I made the switch back.

15. RSanson

RSanson New Member

May 27, 2004
    Just got my HD Tivo installed about two hours ago...

Called D and truthfully told them that had gotten Time Warner Cable until I could get my HD Tivo and that TW gave me a great deal. Then asked what they were going to do to keep my business (5 year customer w/series one Tivo).

I got all the HBO and Showtime channels inclusive of all D HD programming for six months and a $250 credit (total savings equals about $450).

Am presently on the phone with D techncial support about HDNet audio drop (which did happen already).

Pushing for more credits and a fix...

16. Castaa

Castaa New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Right now I'm a Dish Network customer. I plan on buying a Directv HDTiVo/Reciever. What deals are available me to as a new customer in terms of discounts/rebates? Asking to talk to the retention dept. at Directv doesn't seem to make any sense in my case.
    Thanks! :)

17. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Tivo-dependent

May 11, 2004
    30 miles NW...
    No deals yet for "new" customers for the HD-Tivo. Your best bet is to become a D* subscriber, then ask retention for whatever credit you can. Now, I only had two months and none of the premium channels. While that wasn't much, being a virgin subscriber may be too little, too soon.

18. Dean Martin

Dean Martin New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    Call up and tell them you have heard A LOT of people are getting rebates for buying a TIVO and you would like them to look over your history and based on your billing & good standing what they can offer you to remain as a customer & to give you the same fair treatment they have extended others.

19. Castaa

Castaa New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Ah ok thanks for the info. :)

20. Frank_M

Frank_M New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Shrewsbury, MA
    I have also been told by someone DEEP inside DTV that there is a certain phrase, when used with the Retention people, let's them know you're "connected" and automatically kicks in the $250 discount.

"Pretty please, with sugar on top."

But remember, you didn't hear it from me. I could get in soooo much trouble!

:)