Best Way For Me To Add Storage

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kcejo, Oct 16, 2017.

1. kcejo

kcejo Member

Sep 12, 2017

Advertisements

I bought a refurbished 500MG Bolt in June and am looking for the best way for me to increase my storage capacity. From what I've ready about eSATA external drives, I'm not looking to go that route. I don't know about replacing the hard drive, either, since I did buy the extended warranty when I made the original purchase, and I would think replacing the hard drive would void that.

I've just been trying Tivo Desktop to see about moving files from the Bolt to my PC, but I'm also going to want to use my Slingbox (that I connected to a separately purchased Mini) before long to view when away from home.

I'm wondering about buying a used Premier or something similar that has a 2-4TB hard drive on it and hooking it up to the same network that the Bolt and Mini are directly connected to via Ethernet. If I buy one that does NOT include lifetime service, can I still connect it to my network and just use it as hard drive storage? If that's possible, then I assume I could use online.tivo.com to transfer shows from the Bolt to the Premier and then back again when I'm ready to watch them. Or, if there's an older DVR option with a cheap hard drive upgrade installation that would work the same, I'm up for that, too. I'm not really wanting to invest a lot more into this since I seem to be able to transfer shows to my PC. But I don't know that I'll be able to access those shows when I'm away from home.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but what I did find about this was several years old and I know things have changed a lot. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo is not meant for long term storage of your shows. You can do better with a NAS for storage. You can download shows to a PC using programs such as KMTTG. Remove the encryption layer since its encrypted by the Tivo with a Media Access Key using KMTTG's decrypt feature, so if the Tivo ever change that MAK, shows can still get back in to the Tivo.

The Bolt uses 2.5" internal hard drives and there has not been any recommended drives for them. You can swap out the drives (warranty won't know) up to 3TB and you do not need a PC to do it.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The Toshiba MQ03ABB300 3TB 2.5" drive often has been recommended here for the Bolt as a replacement drive. Many threads here on the upgrade and process, plus a few YouTube videos.

4. kcejo

kcejo Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I just talked to Tivo and was told that replacing my internal drive WOULD void my warranty, so I don't think that is my first option here. I would think that if I sent the machine in for warranty service that they would notice a different/upgraded hard drive in it and send it right back to me saying my warranty is void. Then again, they also told me that Tivo Desktop wouldn't allow me to transfer shows back from my PC to my Bolt once I transferred them to the PC, which I think is wrong.

And I'm not really looking for long-term storage of shows, but it seems that I'm having a difficult time getting through the shows that I am taping before my hard drive starts getting close to capacity. Wasn't a problem during the summer, but now all the new seasons and series are coming out and I just haven't been able to sit in front of the tv enough to get through them all.

I was also told by Tivo that buying a Premiere or Roamio that does not have a lifetime subscription would require either a monthly subscription, annual subscription or all-in purchase. So it seems like I'm looking for a cheap lifetime box and if it doesn't have much storage, then I can upgrade that hard drive. Hopefully I can find a good, inexpensive hard drive for that upgrade. I know there are recommendations here for upgrades, so will check those out if/when I need that, thanks.

Let me know if this plan makes sense or it there's a better/cheaper way to go about it.

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

The warranty is voided if they found out about it. If you put back the original drive before you send back, they won't know.

Since the original Tivo warranty is only 3 months, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I waited for a year to upgrade my Tivo Roamio. It hasn't had a problem before or after.

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. kcejo

kcejo Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Ooooh, hadn't thought about that. Hmmm, another option back in the mix.

7. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    use pytivo or kmttg to transfer the files to computer and take them with you when traveling

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Do not ask TiVo about this. ;) Of course that's what they would tell you.

Because of the "warranty question," some people wait until after the first year warranty is up, before replacing the hard drive. Others don't want to wait and/or to have to deal with a drive full of shows, and so do it right away. When this issue was discussed here a bunch of years back, the direction seemed to be, TiVo tends to look the other way if a box is returned for service (with the owner having put the original drive back in the TiVo box). The exceptions being, when the owner has highlighted this to TiVo or been found to be a more difficult consumer to work with.

9. kcejo

kcejo Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Still kicking around my options here. It seems that PyTivo is unable to let me transfer shows back to my Bolt and trying to use kmttg and Plex is taking me a LOT of time reading and figuring out what I need to do. I'm having to catch up on a lot of new software that I've never used before and can't seem to find a user's manual for :)

So, I'm wondering again about the option of purchasing an older Tivo with lifetime and transferring shows between the Bolt and the older Tivo. But from what Tivo Support tells me, the only way to do this now is through online.tivo.com and you have to use at least a 4-tuner Premiere or newer DVR. Does anyone know if this is true? There's an older Series 2 Tivo on Craigslist here with lifetime that I could pick up cheap and upgrade the drive, but if I can't transfer shows, then what's the point?

Any confirming info would be much appreciated.

I've also been looking at upgrading the Bolt's hard drive. If I go that route, I'd really rather go with the WD drives and it seems that the 2TB drive is readily available in the US at a decent price, but the 3TB is either outrageously priced or only available in Japan - ha! The 2TB should be enough for my needs, but I know I'll lose whatever's on my current drive. Having a way to transfer to and from would be great either way I go.

Thanks.

10. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    PyTiVo DOES transfer shows back to your TiVo from your computer just as easily as they get pulled off the TiVo. I believe it is one of your best options, as it would allow you to use multiple external hard drives with a computer. Make sure you are using the newest version from Dan203.

You can use any series 3 or newer TiVo to easily move programs between boxes. Totally forget about any series 2, as they cannot deal with HD programs. I do not suggest you consider any S3 or THD box, since they are getting very old, and they transfer shows quite slowly. Besides that, with all the TiVo upgrades done this year, you would be hard pressed to identify if a S3 with lifetime was still a valid license or not (meaning you are likely to be ripped off!). For example, I have both S3 and THD boxes that had the license transferred to Bolts and were SUPPOSED to be deactivated way back in April, but both are still operating fine.

Upgrading the hard drive is easy and highly recommended by many of us. I have used both the 2TB WD drive and the 3TB Toshiba drives without problems (yet). Unfortunately, there still seem to be many more issues with upgrading the 2.5" drives than we ever saw with the older 3.5" drives, so even though my Bolts are running just fine with the bigger drives, I still wonder when I will get surprised with a failure and loss of many many recordings.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  11. kcejo

kcejo Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I think that the PyTivo transfer back to the Bolt has been disabled recently. I can't find any option on the Bolt to use PyTivo to retrieve the shows from my PC. My only option seems to be Plex, which involves using kmttg to transcode, etc. Maybe I'm missing something? I'm found a Netgear ReadyNAS and a WD Gold 6TB for relatively cheap, so if I could actually use PyTivo to transfer to that, it would be great. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I think that would be the best option, too, but I haven't been able to find the PyTivo transfer option on the Bolt, so I'm afraid it's been disabled like Tivo Support told me.

Thanks for the reply and any help you or anyone else can give me.

12. kcejo

kcejo Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Oh, and the seller with the Series 2 has contacted Tivo to transfer the lifetime service to the new buyer, so I think I'd be okay there. I'd definitely check with Tivo before handing over the money.

13. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    It is not disabled, and generally, you should consider at least 96% of ANYTHING that Bad Rovi Support tells you as mostly crap.

You can actually still use the old TiVo Desktop program to transfer shows to and from your Bolt also, but it is not near as good as the newest pyTiVo. You CANNOT run both the TiVo Desktop and pyTiVo at the same time, so if you have installed the old Desktop software, you must make sure it is disabled.

With pyTiVo, your computer will show up at the bottom of the My Shows list, using whatever name you used for the share folders when you set hem up in pyTiVo. For example, on my Bolt I see two different pyTiVo devices because I set up two different share folders: one for network archived videos, and one for local copies on the computer. When you select one of those devices, you see all the videos in those folder exactly like you would see them on any other networked TiVo, and selecting one of the videos gives you the information about it and the option to transfer (actually copy) the show back to the Tivo. On a bolt, that copy back happens faster than real-time watching, so you do not have to wait for anything.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Mikeguy likes this.
  14. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    No no no no no! Series 2 is GARBAGE!!!! Even if the license is valid, you will regret it!!!!!

15. kcejo

kcejo Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I think that the Tivo Support people were basically telling me that going forward there would be no PC to Tivo transfer capability. And, in this case, I believe they're right. I believe the new VOX UI will not allow this option.

16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Unless you have inside info., that we will have to see/hear starting Oct. 29. I would not necessarily have confidence in what the TiVo support people might say about this (as this is not a TiVo "supported" feature)--I'd like to hear user experience, come Sunday.

17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Series 2 is SD content only and if it is on your account, it will only transfer to/from Tivos, only SD shows. They will be transcoded to analog since S2 is analog. Premiere and above are digital.

Tivo is not a good medium for long term storage. It is best to get them on a PC hard drive or NAS.

PyTivo is great for transfers, once its configured correctly.

I do not use/rely on online.tivo.com.