Best Upgrade Path for a Series 1 Lifetime Owner

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kc456, Mar 12, 2007.

1. kc456

kc456 New Member

Mar 12, 2007

Advertisements

I have had a Series 1 with Lifetime since 2000. After getting DirecTV years ago, I purchased 2 DirecTiVos for the dual tuners and have been thrilled with them. Now that TiVo is offering standalone dual tuner units, I'm considering saving some money by dumping D* (shelving the DirecTiVos) and buying two new standalone dual tuner TiVos.

Other items of note:

* My cable and TVs are standard definition... and I realize this will be poorer quality than DirecTV.
    * I have a good broadband connection.
    * I use Vonage and don't have a standard POTS telephone line.

After a bit of research though, my head is spinning regarding the new pricing plans. :confused: And it appears that things keep changing, so with every search that I do, I have to try to figure out "when" something was true. :(

With this said, can someone please offer me advice regarding these specific points:

1) Since I have a standalone Series 1 with Lifetime, do I qualify for some sort of discount on additional standalone TiVo units?

2) Does my Series 1 need to be in use (i.e phone-home) to qualify the other units for a multi-TiVo discount? (I'm only using 2 TVs at the moment... so if I buy two new units, I really don't want to have this thing powered up 24/7... just to be sitting there unused.)

3) Do I need to buy a specific plan or from a specific place to qualify for a multi-TiVo discount?

4) Will not having a standard phone line (I have Vonage) be an issue for either the new dual tuner TiVos or my old Series 1?

5) And finally, given my situation (and whatever I do or don't qualify for), what is the most economical plan/method for obtaining 2 dual tuner units? (TiVo proved itself to me a long time ago, so I'm more than willing to entertain 3 year plans. I'd do lifetime again if they offered it.)

Thanks so much for your help.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    kc456;

There are lots of ways to go, here is one you could consider:

1. Sell your Series 1 on ebay
    2. Buy 1 DT unit from TiVo.com with 3 year prepaid service ($400)
    3. Purchase your second DT unit from someplace other than TiVo.com net costs after rebate should be under $100 and MSD with 3 year commitment will cost $6.95/mo
    Beach Audio has DT units for $232 shipped and the current TiVo Rebate is $150. The DT units do not need a phone line if you connect them to your broadband, they have built in ethernet or you can buy TiVo wireless adapters for about $50 each.

Good Luck!

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The "best" upgrade offer is one you have missed out on -- buying a series 3 and "transferring" your lifetime subscription for $200.

That's not best in terms of cost effective, but best in terms of "future proof" (for those who want to eventually get HDTV), and those of us who want to avoid monthly service fees.

4. Cormode

Cormode New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Louisville KY
    yes .... no ... maybe, well it depends on factors that are hard to pin down.

By using a *99 dialing prefix my vonage line works for about 80% of tivo calls. I had to experiment to find the best number to dial. None of the numbers in my area code worked well. My tivo calls a number nearly 1200 miles away which works well for me.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

I just looked and did not find the date for grandfathered S1 lifetime. If you are before that date (I think 2001) then you can do a onetime free transfer. Find that out first before you do anything else.

6. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    2) A: Your lifetime unit must be phoning home something like once every six months to qualify for discounts on the other units. You can fire it up, force a connection then unplug it again.

7. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Jan 2000. I imagine there are extremely few qualifying TiVo's left by now.

8. kc456

kc456 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Thanks so much for all the replies!

Between what was said and some additional reading on TiVo's website, I think I have a handle on my options. I certainly would appreciate any additional comments should anyone have anything else to add though.

9. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    :D ONE HERE :D November 1999

10. cap

cap New Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Omaha, NE.
    Me too! :)