best upgrade company

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ZTAKPsi, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ZTAKPsi

ZTAKPsi New Member

Aug 27, 2007

Advertisements

I would like to buy the TiVo HD, but before I use it, I'd like to send it off to get upgraded to a bigger hard drive. Is there a list of reliable companies that do this? I'm afraid if I did it myself, I'd screw it up. I don't even get how you can transfer the TiVo software! So...I'd rather have someone that knows what they are doing help me out. Thanks.

2. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Buy an already upgraded one from TivoCommunityStore or Weaknees. I've done business with both and can recomment either.

3. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Well you do pay a premium for not doing it yourself. However, I believe Weaknees will warranty the unit which is great because if you do it yourself you void the factory warranty.

It seems that the tivocommunity store offers a warranty, and extended warranty plans too.

4. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    You don't have to buy one and send it anywhere. Weaknees sells pre-upgraded TiVo HD's. They carry a 180-day parts/labor warranty, 1 year parts warranty. I (and many, many others here) have used Weaknees for years and have had outstanding service.

I'd expect that The TiVo Community Store (also very trusted) will soon be selling upgraded TiVo HD's as well. I'd imagine that if you contacted them directly that they could set you up with something as well.