Best Universal Remote that Works with Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gilvelez, Jan 10, 2004.

1. gilvelez

gilvelez New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Any suggestions? I have an HDVR2...

Harmony? Mx-500/700, Phillips Pronto? Sony?

Gil

2. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I vote MX-700 for maximum flexibility and programmability. MX-500 is great for full TiVo and ALL other AV device functionality and slightly lower price than MX-700.

MX-700 = $158
    MX-500 = $95

(ebay prices)

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    DO A SEARCH.

Stew

4. phone1

phone1 ?????????

Mar 18, 2002
    SEE SIG :D

5. rodneyremington

rodneyremington New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Clovis, CA
    It really depends.

Home theater, cost no object, harmony (my choice) or MX.

Just control TV and TiVo, cost matters--do a search.

6. fores

fores New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    ABQ, NM
    I received the Harmony 659-ST for Christmas and love it. The setup is entirely internet-based. No macros or programing to do. You just tell the website what components you have and how you use them for each activity and your remote is programed automatically. For example, when I hit the Watch TV button the remote turns on the tv and switches it to the correct input, then turns on the receiver and switches that to the correct input. All of this takes a few seconds. The best part is that the 659 has the tivo peanut design.

It's not cheap, but it's the easiest and best remote out there.

Chris

7. gfb107

gfb107 New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Cary, NC, USA
    Really, do a search, this comes up at least once a week.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    go search Best Buy or Circuit City. For a less than 30$ remote, both have them for TiVo,et all.

9. Grimdeath

Grimdeath New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Another vote for the Home Theater Master MX-700 (I bought mine for $159 on ebay; you get the unit + programming cable, but don't qualify for the 1 yr warranty because they are not authorized vendors).
    It control everything I own.

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    My vote is for the URC-6131.

But, where is the original poster to tell us what he bought?
    Maybe, we scared him off with all of the "do a search" talk.!

11. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Did you do a search of this thread before giving that answer? That answer has already been given in this thread.

Before you complained that this question comes up at least once a week, did you notice the question you were answering was asked more than two weeks before you responded?

If the question keeps up 'coming up', it is in part because people like keep on adding duplicate answers to 'old' threads. As far as I can see, nobody has started a thread in this forum on that subject for at least two weeks.

Have you considered there is more than one way to do a search. Asking a question and expecting an individual human answer is just as as much a way of doing a search as expecting an automated answer.

Even Google offers the facility for an individual human response. However, what makes this forum special is that nobody expects to get paid for such responses and the reponses are often quicker than the ones given by the Google paid for service.

In an area where new products are coming onto the market it, at a time when new members are joining the forum, it is wise, not foolish, not to rely on last weeks answers, which may be missing the latest hot product or the wisdom of new members. Indeed, somebody doing a search of this forum may have noticed phone1's recent comment "the number of universal remotes that can operate TiVo is still somewhat limited, although growing". A clear indication that new products of this type are coming on to the market.>
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?postid=1659058#post1659058

The topic of the thread was clearly indicated, there was no need for you to open it to add a reply which could just as usefully be given to anybody asking a question anywhere. Now there is a challenge. Come up with questions that have not already been asked and answered on the Internet and other publicly available places.

12. gfb107

gfb107 New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Cary, NC, USA
    Sorry, I just get frustrated by seeing the same questions and answers so frequently. I do my best to help people with useful information, but I do expect them to take the time to look a little before asking a question. A simple search of "universal and remote", in the title only, showing results by thread, yields 23 threads, some of which have been updated quite recently.

Usually, when someone here discovers a new TiVo compatible universal remote, they post that information, for all to see. They don't wait for someone to ask first. A search would find that.

BTW, if you checked my signature, you would have seen my recommendation for a universal remote.

13. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    A hacked 6131 is good if you're controlling just a few components. It has it's downsides though. Small buttons, no backlight, hard to hit the right button in the dark...

But it's still cool when you hack it and change the codes on your computer and make macros.

J

14. gfb107

gfb107 New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Cary, NC, USA
    Well, the OP only listed 4 devices, so the 6131 should do just fine.
    BTW, the 6131 has 2 hidden devices that can be accessed by JP1, making it able to control 8 devices without even resorting to device combining.

15. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    But don't forget, for some people the option they tick in "forum preferences" is the one not to display signatures.

16. MighTiVo

MighTiVo TiVotarian

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
  17. davisdog

davisdog New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Saratoga, Ca
    Is there a good picture of a 6131 so you can actually make out the buttons and how they are labeled....All the pics on the internet I can find (even at the manufacture site) are too small to see?

otherwise anybody got a digicam they can snap a shot and post a jpg (or email to macsquid at yahoo dot com )

thx

18. srs5694

srs5694 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    Woonsocket,...
    Is this clear enough for you? A few of the buttons' labels are a bit blurry, but most of them are legible.

19. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/pic2.shtml?URC-6131

20. davisdog

davisdog New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Saratoga, Ca
    Thanks for the pics!