Best TiVo placeshifting solution?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sparkyb, Mar 22, 2011.

1. sparkyb

sparkyb New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Boston

Advertisements

My situation is that I have a Series3 in my living room where I watch most of my TV. The problem is that I like to fall asleep with the TV on, but I'm tired of falling asleep on the couch. What I'm looking for is a way to watch programs recorded on my TiVo in my bedroom. Currently I don't have a TV in my bedroom, but I will soon own a Motorola Xoom Android tablet. Ideal would be if I could use the tablet as the screen, but I could always buy a cheap TV. Either way I still need a good way to get programs to them. Does anyone know a good solution for this? Here are some alternatives I was thinking about if anyone has tried any of these and wants to let me know how well it works.

1. Buy a Slingbox and use the SlingPlayer app on my tablet.
    Pros:
    • real-time
    • full control of TiVo
    • No additional screen needed
    • Can also use while traveling
    • Can also stream other sources besides TiVo (DVD)
    Cons:
    • Need to buy a Slingbox
    • Only streaming quality and depends on the quality of my WiFi
    • Don't know how easy/good Slingbox remote control interface/IR blaster setup is

2. Use TiVo Desktop to transfer videos to my tablet
    Pros:
    • No new hardware
    • High quality
    • Local control of video
    Cons:
    • Time consuming work on my PC to pick programs to transfer, download them from TiVo, transcode them, and put them on the tablet somehow
    • Must pick ahead of time fix set of programs

3. Second TV in bedroom connected to same TiVo
    Pros:
    • Full quality
    • No complicated transfers
    Cons:
    • Must buy a TV
    • Must buy long cables
    • Unsightly cables running room to room (or wireless video boxes that are poor quality)
    • cumbersome wireless IR relay devices that don't work that well

4. TiVo Multi Room Viewing
    Pros:
    • Full quality
    • Separate local TiVo control
    Cons:
    • Must buy TV *and* another TiVo (*and* service?)
    • Need to wait for transfers before I can watch

2. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Well, I'm partial to Slingbox but two thoughts occur to me given your scenario... remote latency can be annoying, so you might want to kick off your recordings in the living room before retiring. Also, I'm not sure if there's a big screen tablet Android client at this time. Perhaps the existing client accommodates it fine? Video quality should be fine over WiFi, but max streaming resolution of the Solo is 640x480 for reference.

At a prior residence, I got a RF->IR remote and ran a 30' HDMI cable to the bedroom so that one TiVo controlled two TVs. It wasn't bad at all. But there was extra cable clutter and both TVs had to be on the same channel in that configuration.

All current TiVos require a subscription, so the multiroom viewing may not be practical given the cost concerns (tv, tivo, AND service).

Are you sold on the Xoom? The iPad has more streaming video apps at this time. Some are free, some are subscription. Would something like Hulu Plus or Netflix meet your needs?

3. sparkyb

sparkyb New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Boston
    Yeah, those were my same concerns. I'm just assuming that the phone app would at the very least do a over-large version of itself on the tab, which would probably be acceptable until a tablet-optimized version hopefully came along. Especially if the video isn't HD (and it isn't worth the extra money for the HD slingbox with the extra tuners I don't even need). I like HD in my living but anywhere else picture quality isn't my highest concern. I'm fine with kicking off a show before switching rooms, but better would be being able to skip commercials and switch shows if one ended which might be hard depending on remote lag. Perhaps coupled withe the RF->IR transceivers I already own to control the TiVo directly and sling for just video/audio.

Since I've never used a slingbox, how is the integration with TiVo and the remote commands? I couldn't find any good pictures or discussions of that on the Slingbox site.

I've done this one before too, but then there was already an extra unused coax line in the walls (from an old A-B cable system) I used and I had a PC with TV tuner in my bedroom. I don't mind the 1 channel thing so much since I live alone. I just don't know if having to buy a TV and the cable mess is worth it. With the slingbox it at least has other uses.

Yeah, mostly included it for coverage.

I'm pretty sold on not the the iPad. I'm mostly getting a tablet for work. I'm a developer and I want it for my own show-control software that I don't want to have to program Apple's way.

I don't do Netflix (prefer Amazon Unbox on my TiVo for movie rental) or Hulu Plus, but there are some shows that I usually want on my PC that I either don't get on my cable or conflict so I can't record. I thought about only watching those on the tablet and having that be my solution, but there's so much more on my TiVo, and I can't get behind the idea of paying Netflix or someone to be able to download shows that my TiVo is already recording.

4. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Have you looked at the Monsoon Vulkano? It's very similar to slingbox. The website says it can stream to android. One can also connect a Hard drive to it and use like a DVR. One thing I noticed is the ad says it will convert video locally so you can download video over WiFi or 3G so you can save on the android.

Also who do u use for service? With Comcast Xfinity you can stream the ondemand (some free tv shows too) to your iPad and I think android. but you must have a compatible comcast box.

5. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

I have a WDTV Live in my bedroom with an attached USB drive and a USB network adapter. I use kmttg to automatically transfer and convert Tivo recordings (ones that aren't copy protected) to mpegs and save them to the drive attached to the WDTV Live.

It isn't real-time but the picture quality is great and the whole process can be fairly simple and automatic.

6. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    TiVo Desktop and MRV solutions may not allow you to transfer all programming, if your TV service provider uses the copy protection bit on some or all programming.

Where I live Comcast blocks transfer of HBO (and other similar pay-TV network) programming.

7. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Not true, you can start watching as soon as you initiate the transfer... Especially with the Premier (assuming that would be your second box.), S3 to S3 sometimes you need to let it buffer for a couple of minutes.

I have a media room next to a game room and both have TV's - I did not want or need a separate tuner in each room. I am lucky that the two are relitively close together and I was able to run a long HDMI cable and a wired IR repeater from the game room TV into the Media Cabinet - this setup works great!

I can watch the same thing on both TV's (superbowl party) and my kids can use the game room TV for their daily kids garbage.