Best Streaming device for Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nitro001, Aug 23, 2019.

1. nitro001

nitro001 New Member

Oct 30, 2017

Advertisements

Hello,
    This is a follow-up to another question I posted last month about Tivo Bolt and Mini configs.
    Multi TV setup

I started the re-config but ran into a situation for now that I can't run cable into a couple bedrooms at the moment to in order to watch Cable (Spectrum) or Tivo recordings, I would need wireless options. I have an Nvidia shield and both of these options are not very good there, I have side-loaded the apps. I also have a Fire TV on-loan from the parents to try and side-loaded the apps and they look similar to Android, not very useful.

I know from Spectrum it is supported on Roku and Apple TV (Not an apple fan). And I know at some point this year Tivo was supposed to release a native app for the Roku but I haven't heard much on it. I understand these are limited to 720p and 30Hz but still better than not having it available at all.

Any suggestions on a device that would also pass the WAF in usability for the Tivo app? Once I get cables run, I could go the Mini routes in these rooms for Tivo.

Thanks in advice.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Depending on the power of your main router, you could try wireless bridges in the problematic locations and just use Minis. Many people have had success with networking their TiVo Minis via wireless, even if not officially supported by TiVo. YMMV.

p.s. ... as alluded to in your prior thread:

3. FubarJeb

FubarJeb New Member

Sep 27, 2016
    I recommend using a Powerline adapter to extend Ethernet connectivity to any room in your house using existing electrical lines. In fact, I've used the TRENDnet 4-Port Powerline 500 AV Adapter (TPL-4052E) for a couple of years and it works really well with the Mini's. In addition, the four ports allow me to connect my TiVo Mini, Smart TV, and Game console to my upstairs bed room that doesn't have coax or Ethernet ran to it.

The only downside I've seen is about once or twice a year I need to unplug it and re plug it back in to reconnect. I think the connection hiccups are due to power outages.

trendnet.com/products/powerline-500-hub/TPL-4052E

wizwor and Mikeguy like this.
  4. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    That will work, but isn't as good or reliable as a Wifi Extender with an ethernet port. Powerline will not work well if the two outlets, where the Tivo is and where the Mini is are not on the same leg. I have better speeds and no reliability problems with the extender, with the added use of connecting an Echo to it that sometimes lost the connection to the far away router.

5. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015

Advertisements

Still waiting on the TiVo apps for Apple TV, Fire TV, Android TV and Roku to roll out. We've been expecting them this year.

Yes, they're supposed to top out at 720p, although I'm not sure if they'll support 60p/60Hz or only 30p/30Hz. At any rate, the most likely time for those apps' release at this point is probably the CEDIA 2019 event at which TiVo will be an exhibitor. It takes place in Denver on Sept. 10-14. Even if TiVo doesn't actually release the apps at that time, I expect that they'll give us some news on when to expect their release.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I thought that I had read that the more recent Powerline tech. has eliminated much/most of this issue.

7. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013
    It's not something you can 'work out'. It's that the signal has to cross from one phase to the other and, generally, this happens at the first transformer -- which may be down your street. The solution is to place a capacitor on your service panel that allows the signal to pass from one side to the other without going through that transformer. Smarthome has worked that out with a bridge you install on a 220v outlet (dryer)...

https://www.edn.com/5G/4437412/Cross-phase-signal-coupling-in-powerline-communication
    SignaLinc Plug-In Phase Coupler

8. tampa8

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    There is no such thing as fixing needing to be on the same leg unless you bridge your own system. I guess in that regard there is a fix but even at that the newer Wifi Extenders work better. I saw an obvious difference in no buffering at all, snappy menu changes etc going from powerline (on the same leg) to a Netgear Wifi extender.

9. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013
    "Wifi Extenders work better for me." There. I fixed it for you. If your wifi extender works over premise wiring, that is Powerline. If it passes signal over the air, then there is also no such thing as fixing walls that will not pass wifi --- which is the case at my sister's home and a friend's house. Plenty of free wifi analyzers that will help determine suitability for a wifi extender and Kohls will pack up and return Amazon stuff, so no reason not to try a pair of Powerline adapters.

When Verizon installed high speed internet in my home, they put their stuff in the basement near the coax distribution hardware and ran a wire up the side of my house to the attic to feed my LAN. When I had my home sided, I replaced that wire with a pair of Powerline adapters. I have an AC router and stream just fine all over my home via wireless (Recast). So both technologies work just fine. As for your Powerline problems, could be wiring, phase coupling, noise on your system, or poor quality adapters.

10. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    The new powerline adapters have higher top-line speeds, so there's a better chance that it'll will meet your needs across rooms, but they're all enormously sensitive to placement and positioning. It works for many people, but there's really no way to know without trying it. Having newer wiring doesn't mean that it will work for you since newer systems are often designed to have better isolation between circuits (power lines aren't designed to be a communications medium).

11. tampa8

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    That is true. Misconception of some that the problem is with older houses only. More likely for Wifi to work over powerline in any case. And less likely for something electrical to interfere though that is more likely in older homes or homes not grounded correctly.

12. nitro001

nitro001 New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Thank you all. Well I can confirm as of now the Roku doesn't have the Tivo app :/. Bought an Ultra as a test before I do the MoCA rewiring. Although I am in the process of diagnosing and coming close to a determination that the WiFi Direct used in Ultra for remote and audit had the nasty habit of interfering with the router and taking down my AC network o_O have a window to return in the next couple days if I can confirm this.

I will probably go the MoCA route, but before I order all the MoCA equipment. I currently have an Antronix vra901 powered 9 port splitter at the beginning of the coax network. I am not using all 9 ports, but while this is not a MoCA-specific splitter, would it handle the MoCA signal if I add the appropriate filters (i.e. Incoming Line and Modem) and the bridge between the Ethernet and Coax? Or should I also invest in a MoCA-optimized/enabled active powered capable splitter to replace this?

Thanks in advance.