Best Series 2 DirecTiVo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Jerry_K, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland

Advertisements

I have searched this site and cannot find recommendations on what Series 2 DirecTiVo might be best. I purchased three DirecTiVo series one units four years ago. I love them.

I want to get one or more Series 2 units before DTV goes lease/oddball DVR etc.

It was a whole lot easier the first time with basically two choices. Sony or Phillips/Hughes. Now I see a whole bunch of brands and models.

My main reason for changing would be to get network connectivity, and any other "better" features from series 2. I will definitely upgrade harddrives and would probably consider "hacks" if I can ever figure out the arcane Linux command line. (I am basically a point and clicker/ cut and paster LOL).

Which Brands and models?

Our good friends Weaknees have Phillips DSR 7000's less harddrive for a steal. Is it networkable?

2. chudel

chudel New Member

May 9, 2005
    I have a Philips DSR7000 that I self-hacked, very easily from 3.x to 4.x and now to the latest 6.x release. They are definitely networkable.

Indeed, I just purchased a second DSR7000 (same weakness great deal) and will be putting it the bedroom just to use MRV to view the other, active, DirecTivo unit.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Technically, any Series two, other than the R10.

Aesthetically, I really like the Philips DSR7xx.

4. sschwart

sschwart It sucks to be me

Apr 4, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    I just got a DVR80 recently that I've hacked up and been very happy with.

5. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia

Advertisements

If would wouldn't mind a two year contract with DTV, value electronics had DVR80's. After the rebate from DTV, you'll be out the shipping. I bought one in December.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I have Hughes, Philips and Samsung units. If you plan to hack, the Samsung is nice because you don't need a torx driver to open it up and remove the hard drive.

7. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    Thanks to all.

I found the DSR704 has the same face panel appearance as my Phillips DVDR so I got four of those ordered.

And software from PTVUpgrade to help with bigger drives and hacks.

8. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004

where did you ordered the DSR704 from? thanks

9. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    I got two off Ebay and two from PTVUpgrade.

10. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004

I saw the PTVupgrade forum which has a thread about it, it costs $69 without the access card but is it eligible for the $100 rebate from Directv though? also, what does the access card cost from Directv? thanks

11. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    I already have access cards. I believe DirecTV gets $20 for an access card. I am not going to do anything about a "rebate" which would add commitment to my contract since it appears that Tivo on DTV will go dead in a year or so. When that happens I want all my options open. There is no way I will use another "Dishplayer". I had so much trouble with that after they "fixed" the software that I ditched Dish for DTV. Now that my lovely wife has had Tivo, "DTVplayer" would cause my imminent demise. She couldn't use the Dishplayer if someone held a gun to her head and threatened to pull the trigger. The DirecTivo came, I got it installed, got the two tuner software, handed her the peanut and said press this anytime and press this now and then. The select button and I have never been able to record what I want on our main DirecTivo because she has 109 Season Passes and records a bunch of other stuff from time to time.

12. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth MRV Junkie

Jun 14, 2005
    Fountain, CO
    I plan on having all of my receivers being Samsung SIR-S4xxxRs eventually. All three Samsungs are the same, except for the size of the hard disks, which would be replaced anyway. Besides, the InstantCake and PTVNet images I bought are for Samsungs. :)

If you still have the Dish DVR, pull the hard disk and use it in a DirecTiVo.