Best replacement remote for a Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by pdx8080, Dec 7, 2020.

1. pdx8080

pdx8080 Member

May 30, 2014

Advertisements

The remote that came with my Premiere is starting to become a real pain: duplicate button presses registering, not always moving in the expected direction with regard to the four-way controller, etc.

We also have a Roamio (base model), and I really like the clicky buttons on its remote. What remote can I buy with that style of buttons that will also work with my Premiere?

Thanks!

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A Roamio-style RF remote... in IR mode.

And you can get some cheap-o replacements by opting for a cable provider's TiVo remote. e.g.

TiVo Roamio Mini Bolt Remote Control RF & IR RCN Cable TV | eBay

(The "On Demand" button actually worked for our setup, too, back when Comcast still supported an On Demand app for TiVos.)

3. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    If you're willing to spend a bit more (15-20 on top of the remote cost) RF dongles are still fairly easy to find so you can get the point-anywhere functionality.

Just make sure you get an RF dongle (rounded edges, Remote Finder button) and not a BT one (black square, may have TiVo logo or Bluetooth symbol on it)

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Like this: https://www.amazon.com/USB-RF-Dongle-TiVo-Slide-Pro/dp/B00NPC1JVY/

5. pdx8080

pdx8080 Member

May 30, 2014

Advertisements

Thanks for all responses!

Excellent! How do I put it into IR mode, assuming I decide not to get an RF dongle?

Oh...there was an app? I was always mad that On Demand didn't work, when I was told it should. I assumed all I had to do was tune to channel 1... LOL Oh well...

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Toggle remote modes via TiVo-C/TiVo-D ;)

IR mode: Hold the 'TiVo' and 'C'/Red buttons until the LED flashes red
    RF mode: Hold the 'TiVo' and 'D'/Green buttons until the LED flashes amber

There *was*, for Xfinity. We lost it mid-2019. (death notice)

The "channel 1" approach is the traditional Comcast STB method far access on-demand, but never worked on TiVos. There was a separate app, like Netflix, etc., for accessing Xfinity On Demand content.

[​IMG]