Best Remote Control Extender?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TivoFan, Jul 24, 2009.

1. TivoFan

TivoFan Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Northampton, MA

Advertisements

It's been a couple of years since I've looked at remote control extenders. What's the best one out there right now? Suggestions from anyone who has recently bought or tried one would be most appreciated.

Thanks

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    The Hot Link Pro seems to be getting the best reviews.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  4. taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    My Next Generation extender arrived yesterday and is charging now. Fingers crossed!

Update: It's working great, better than I expected! Maybe with 1 button push out of 20 it seems like there's a slight delay, but that's just nitpicking.

5. booboy97

booboy97 Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Pleasanton,...

Advertisements

The Next Generation Extender works well with my S3 which allows me to change it to the 2nd TV on the opposite side of the wall. The sensor seems to interfere sometimes when I use the main Tivo remote on the main TV.

6. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'll second the Hot Link, assuming a wired product can meet your needs. Mine has been working flawlessly for years.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    not exactly an extender but if you like the harmony remotes anyway (or are debating a universal remote) then another option is to just get the harmony 890 with it's z wave extender. I just picked up a pair of them refurbed (look good as new) on buy.com for something like 170 each (sorry i forget).

z-wave is nice in that it's 2 way and the device confirms back to the remote that it received the command and executed it. Also it's rf so no need to aim at anything. Each z-wave receiver can have like 4 or so different IR outputs that get individually operated if you want. And you can also get addtional zwave receivers so one remote can control multiple locations.

i tried one of the battery replacement rf thingies in the tivo remote that weakness sells and at my house i must have had some interference becasue i just couldn't get it to work despite piles of troubleshooting. Plenty of people have used those to fine though- must be somethign odd to my house. So I'm very happy with the harmony 890.

8. Aug 4, 2009 #8 of 15
    mikey94025

mikey94025 Member

Oct 14, 2003
    San...
    Another vote for Hot Link Pro... I have a couple of them. It has a very small IR receptor and the main unit is also fairly small. Some of the other, lower cost extenders have a much larger stand-alone IR receptor that can be unsightly.

9. Aug 5, 2009 #9 of 15
    Atoo

Atoo New Member

Nov 14, 2002
    CA
    And another vote for the Next Generation extender. I've been using it for years. It effectively turns any remote into a radio remote. I can be outside of my house and turn up/down the music inside (or control TIVO etc). I have extended four different remotes, including my TIVO remote. All my media stuff is now out-of-site in a closet.

10. prisk

prisk Member

Nov 19, 2006
    I am looking for something similar but lower range. I have my TiVo on a bottom shelf and the TV on a shelf above it, about 4 feet from the foot of my bed. Due to the TiVo bening so close to the floor, it is not line of sight from where I usually sit or lie in bed (the bottom of the bed blocks the signal). Any low-cost product out there that would allow me to point straight at the top shelf and then redirect the signal to the TiVo on the lower shelf? Wired or wireless would work.

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    A toy periscope.

12. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Mirror on the ceiling? :D

Seriously though, a strategically placed small mirror (like a locker mirror) might work in that case.

13. cthomp21

cthomp21 Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Another vote for the Next Generation Remote Control Extender.

It works perfectly with no silly targets to aim at. The range is great, and it goes right through walls (I use one on my patio to control a Tivo and stereo in the basement). It also doesn't alter the remote with add-ons. Just replace one of your AA batteries with the RF Emitter / Stubby Battery, set up the IR blaster by your Tivo, and fire away with your RF-converted remote.

14. ErliDayz

ErliDayz New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hobe Sound, Fl
    What I like about the Next Generation is that you can use it without the added ir emitter cables or with them. If you're not familiar with these plugin cables, they plugin to the UFO base and "stick" on each unit over the IR receiver.

On Ebay I've some cables with, if I recall correctly, 8 or 9 splices off to attach to that many separate units.

Go forth and play. Just one more toy.

15. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I have a three-way splitter cable on mine, because my components are on different shelves in the enclosed cabinet. It works great ... even out by the pool. I like how the base always has a fresh battery charging and ready to go.