Best Receiver for HD?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Patmcc, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Patmcc

Patmcc New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I recently go a HD TIVO receiver and now want to upgrade my audio equipment. Any suggest on good receivers that work well with the HD Tivo box. I am looking to spend around $300.

Thanks

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    That's a very subjective question. It's not a matter if the receiver works with the HDTiVo so much as it meets your needs. You need to write down what you want the AV receiver to do? How many video sources does it need to switch? What type of video switching? Composite, s-video, component? And does it need to convert between them? Do you want DD5.1 audio? Does it have both optical and coaxial digital audio inputs.

3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    JVC D702. Digital amp, HDMI switching, full 7.1.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Yes, that's a good receiver, but it's a little bit above his price point. :)

5. Patmcc

Patmcc New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Thanks for the reply. Here is my situation:

Objectives:

1) To upgrade my sound system and use the dolby digital capability of the HD TIVO - I am currently using my Sony 46 rear project HD tv for audio.
    2) Keep is simple so my wife and kids can use the system - don't want to have to use mutiple controlers.
    3) Looking to spend $200 to $400

My inputs include

VCR
    DVD
    Tape Deck
    TIVO HD

Thanks,

Patm

6. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    I've got at least 5 remotes that can control multiple pieces of equipment and a few universal remotes but none do everything. The universal ones end up having buttons with one label doing a completely different function. My wife couldn't remember everything. I broke down and will have a Harmony 880 delivered Monday. It should control my TV, receiver, 2 DirecTivos, 2 DVD players and one DVD recorder.

-Robert