Best option to minimize cost?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by NatasNJ, Dec 8, 2011.

1. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I have two Tivo HD units.
    Currently paying $10/m on one unit and $6.95/m on the other.
    The $6.95 is about to expire.

To get lifetime on these units it will cost me $499 for one and $399 for the other.

Doing a quick search on ebay it seems I can get a used TivoHD with lifetime for $300 or just above. Then assume I can keep my current Tivo's as backup or sell for $50+ each.

So why in the world would I pay Tivo for lifetime vs buying a used model with lifetime? Right?

Trying to figure best method (Cheapest) to go from my current setup to 2 TivoHD's (don't see benefit to Premiere models) with lifetime.

And would calling up Tivo offering them a lesser $ for lifetime for both my units vs going the ebay route possibly offer me any success?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The $6.95 price should stay in place. My monthly box contract expired last year and the monthly price stays at $6.95 as long as I don't sign up for a contract.

3. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I had $6.95 on both boxes but the first one expired and I called and the best they would do is $9.95/m. I expect the 2nd box to do the same.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That should be only if you sign up for another commitment. When it expires it should go to monthly at the same $6.95 price. Unless they have changed something. I'm still on monthly and mine is still $6.95. If I were to sign up for a 1 or 2 year commitment then the monthly price jumps to $14.95.

Had I known this a few years ago I probably would not have purchased lifetime on most of the boxes I had then. But in the end the resale value is better with lifetime anyway.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A lot of people have called to cancel their HDs and gotten offered Lifetime at $99.

There's at least one thread about it around here somewhere.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Are you using them in multiple rooms, or with OTA?

If NOT, then an Elite (with lifetime) might fit your bill. (No, I don't have an Elite, and I'm not purposely trying to sell them.. I just like the idea of a lot of tuners in ONE device.)

7. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    2 DIFFERENT ROOMS. No OTA.

And the ELite woudl run me $1000. F that. :)

8. dell_axim

dell_axim New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    What he said... agree.