Best option for MRV Replacement?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Yamboo45, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Yamboo45

Yamboo45 New Member

Apr 13, 2020
    So I have a Tivo Romaio, and a Bolt hooked up wirelessly. Both are gettiing %100 signal from wireless 38-2G. The Romaio starts streaming ok, but will stop and start (freeze) within a mintue or two. The Bolt streams fine. I have read some threads, and from what i understand the Romaio has wireless card problems. I realize i can use ethernet, but don't wanna go that route. I relaize i could use MoCA, but that adapters seem to be a bit expensive. My next options wold be to either repalce with another tivo bolt, or a Mini VOX. My question is, what would give me the lest amount of problems?

2. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I had WiFi problems with one of my Roamio OTAs and solved the problem by going to a better router.

You can always get a top tier WiFi range extender like a Netgear EX7000 AC1900 near your Roamio location.

Another option is to get a WiFi access point at your Roamio. A cost effective experiment is to get an Apple Airport Express (generation 2 or newer) which will connect the ethernet port of your Roamio to the WiFi of your router. You can score them on craigslist for cheap.

mschnebly likes this.
  3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The easy answer is "don't use wifi"
    Powerline may also work fine, 300mbps setups will support a mini just fine if your electrical system is ok and you'll get out of it under $75.
    Are the Roamio and Bolt both OTA units? because the others all have native MoCA

4. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    +1

I did a heat map of my place. Two dozen 802.11n routers were hitting my place, zero 802.11ac routers. I bought an 802.11ac router with three antennas, MIMO and both 2.5gHz and 5.0gHz. Huge improvement.

5. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    If there's already coax or ethernet at the location then they are the no brainer solution, BUT it's often difficult to run new cable so WiFi IS the easy answer IF one understands WiFi.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't know what "wireless 38-2G" means?

PSU_Sudzi and chicagobrownblue like this.
  7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You don't say what kind of Roamio you have. The Roamio Plus or Pro both have built in Moca, as do all Bolts, so you'd really only need one MoCa adapter near the router to make a MoCa network work. And if either TiVo is anywhere near the router you wouldn't even need that as you could plug that TiVo into the router via Ethernet and then just enable bridge mode to get it to talk to the other TiVo via MoCa.

8. Yamboo45

Yamboo45 New Member

Apr 13, 2020
    No, both units are for cable. The Bolt has an Option for MoCA, but it saids it cannot be used to setup a MoCA Network. The Roamio doesn't have a MoCA Option.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  9. Yamboo45

Yamboo45 New Member

Apr 13, 2020
    I think I have just the Basic Romaio, because it doesn't have the MoCA Option in th network settings.

10. Yamboo45

Yamboo45 New Member

Apr 13, 2020
    what's the easy way to setup a WiFi Access Point? I have an older Netgear wireless N router, that has dd-wrt frimware on it, but I have been able to get internet from it wirelessly. only by plugging in an ethernet cable. and I have no idea how to setup a WiFi Acess Point with it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
  12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Are either of your TiVos close enough to the router to connect via ethernet? Even just taking one off of wifi might help alleviate the strain on the wifi network.

13. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Well, the hardware must be capable of being an access point or bridge so without knowing what Netgear router you have I don't know what it will do other than be a router.

What you want to do is connect your Roamio ethernet to an access point and have that access point reliably connect to your WiFi network and that assumes that your older Netgear wireless N router is doing a good WiFi job cause that's where your WiFi starts.

The Apple Airport Expesses (2nd or 3rd generation) do it effortlessly through the Airport Utility app for Mac or PC and are usually found on Craigslist for about $25.

TiVos don't posses the highest level or most effective WiFi hardware so sometimes we have to help them to get the performance we want.

As I said, I had a WiFi problem on one of my Roamio OTA units using a competent ZyXel C1000Z DSL router. First I added an Apple Airport Express (2nd gen) at the Roamio OTA using the TiVo's ethernet port to the Airport Express and that connected by WiFi to the C1000Z WiFi. That worked, but I had another need for the Airport Express elsewhere so I added an Apple Airport Extreme (6th gen) I was playing with as a bridge to the C1000Z ethernet network and connected the Roamio OTA by its WiFi to that Airport Extreme. Never had a problem streaming since. Moral of my story was that as average as the WiFi performance in the Roamio is, the Apple Airport Extreme grabs the Roamio by its WiFi throat and doesn't let it go.

I've helped numerous friends solve their WiFi problems by picking the right hardware and setting it up correctly for each location and specific problem.

14. Yamboo45

Yamboo45 New Member

Apr 13, 2020
  15. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Be sure and let us know how that works for you.

16. Yamboo45

Yamboo45 New Member

Apr 13, 2020

17. Yamboo45

Yamboo45 New Member

Apr 13, 2020
    Yes i will. they aren't expected to be delivered until saturday.

18. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Netgear router is a WNR834B v2 only seems to be a router.

My Main Router is a Spectrum one... branded hardware with little to no real substantive info available.

Interesting that most of the people I've helped solve WiFi problems have been cable cable customers using the cable company's branded hardware.

Hopefully your $15 solution will treat the symptom but I'd rather cure the disease.

19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I agree it would be great to fix the OP's wifi. But Moca is a very valid (and supported) solution, not just a band-aid.

20. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I didn't say Moca was a band-aid. I said my choice would be to cure the disease instead of treating the symptom.
    With the OP's WiFi working properly other devices become "connectable" without additional expense or complexity.