Best HDD for A Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Haggis440, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Haggis440

Haggis440 New Member

Aug 27, 2009

Advertisements

Hi All,

Whats the best make of HDD to use for a tivo?

Looking at mayby a 160gb D-I-Y HDD upgrade.

Haggis

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    WD Green SATA.

3. Haggis440

Haggis440 New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Mabey I should also ask what hdd's should I avoid

4. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    If you did get a SATA drive dont forget Tivo has IDE drives and thus a converter of sorts would be needed.

For such a small size drive by todays standards you may find it easiest to get a drive with the Tivo o/s ready loaded - of course, no way to transfer your recordings unless the vendor offers that service also.

You could look at

http://www.tivocentral.co.uk/

or

http://www.tivoheaven.co.uk

Both vendors have a good track record in the UK.

Also their sites may give a clue to a known suitable drive should you wish to DIY.

Automan.

5. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK

Advertisements

Currently the best and quietest drives for tivo use:

Western Digital "green power" SATA drives,
    Samsung "green" SATA drives

These are both 5400rpm drives, and work fine on tivos with a SATA-IDE convertor.

The only drives to avoid are the recent Western Digital IDE/PATA drives,
    as the tivo is incompatible with the firmware on those drives
    - the tivo won't boot, or "see the drive" if you try using one.

6. romanpj

romanpj New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    UK
    See:-

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article951-page1.html

Seems to tick all the boxes - quiet, low power, good warranty. I've just splashed out on one which cost me less then £40. Can't see the point in messing around with a 160GB at the current prices.

7. tartan_haggis

tartan_haggis MacTiVo

Jun 13, 2005
    Cambridgeshire
    I got 4 Samsung 1Tb drives for around £50 each from Savastore. Just waiting for the SATA-IDE adapters to arrive ...

8. tonywalk

tonywalk New Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Broadbottom,...
    Let us know which adaptors you ordered and where from (pics if poss) and if they work or not.

9. tonywalk

tonywalk New Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Broadbottom,...
    A further possible option is a 2.5" drive if you want extra cool and quiet. Not sure how well suited they' be to the always-on running of a Tivo. £56 for a 500gb 2.5" Samsung M7 from Dabs with free delivery at mo. (I've got two on the way for other purposes).

10. Haggis440

Haggis440 New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    There is one thing I am confused about. I thought I read somewhere about a limit to the size of the drive you could use. and 1Tb would be well over that.

Can someone clarify the issue for me.

And....

Am I right in thinking that I could get a 500Gb drive and add it to my single 40Gb (with a little computer work) to give me lots of free space?

11. healeydave

healeydave from tivoland.com

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    I wouldn't recommend adding a new drive to the old 40Gb.

Unless you need 1TB of space, whilst its still easy enough to get IDE drives, I wouldn't bother getting a SATA and converter, a 500Gb IDE can be picked up still for a reasonable price (just avoid Western Digital).

12. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    ISTR there was an issue with older versions of MFSTools that limited the size of partition you could create, but that was a limit of the tools rather than the TiVo. With the latest tools you can upgrade to at least 1TB.

The other limit you might be thinking of was the TiVo kernel needs updating if you go bigger than ~136GB, but the tools take care of that.

Unless you want to preserve old recordings etc the easiest thing might be to buy a pre-configured drive. It costs a little more but makes the whole process a lot easier, you just swap drives.

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Samsung 1.5TB EcoGreen drives are now available for £69.99 from Ebuyer

See www.hotukdeals.com/item/498485/samsung-ecogreen-f2-1-5tb-hard-driv

Around 525 hours recording time at Best.

Does Mike think a Tivo should still be able to handle a 1.5TB drive in formatting and access terms? I know the Now Playing menus will run a little slower, even with a Cachecard and 512MB of RAM.

14. cleudo

cleudo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Scotland
    bump - my original dual drive TiVo has started making a noise like a circular saw - looks like both the drives will shortly be heading for the bin.

Any updates on the best drive to go for? Not worried about transferring recordings, ok with setting up the various mods, + would like something very power efficient and at least 500GB.

Tempted by 2.5" if the power consumption was markedly better than one of the 'green' 3.5" drives.

Also, any thoughts on brands / suppliers of sata-ide converters?

15. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...