BEST HARD DRIVES????

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by bernielonnie1958, Jan 10, 2021.

1. bernielonnie1958

bernielonnie1958 New Member

Jan 26, 2018

Advertisements

We have investigated Hard Drives, with great information from TIVO FORUM MEMBERS. Those members guided me regarding RPM Recommendations, CMR Technology and some of the Hard Drives.
    We are now narrowed to two choices:
    1. WD RED PLUS
    2. WD PURZ
    The reasoning behind our question is this.
    The TIVO FORUM, THE GURU WHO DEVELOPED MFSR, back in a 2015, "indicated that the WD PURZ may not be a good choice, but the WD RED maybe a better choice".
    We were wondering if this holds true, today? I understand everything regarding Upgrading a TIVO ROAMIO Hard Drive is "Proceed with Caution, No Guarantee Implied".

2. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Depends on capacity drive you are getting. If 8-14TB. I'd go with the Purple. Even though the Red Plus is listed as 5400 RPM it's not really, check the spec sheet, a footnote shows that even though it will be detected as 5400 RPM the spindle speed is actually 7200RPM. So since it's NOT a designed from scratch 5400 might as well get the purple. Since it has AV firmware, Tivo is AV device. Red Plus is NAS firmware, designed for multiple drive use. If you are going 1-6 TB the Red Plus RPM listed speed SHOULD be correct. I still prefer purple myself, because of AV firmware and possible WD support, they'd probably be more helpful with an AV firmware drive being used in an AV device. There are two 6TB Purples now, the WD60PURZ lists as 5700RPM, the WD62PURZ does not list RPM but based on current naming conventions may be 7200RPM.

3. bernielonnie1958

bernielonnie1958 New Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Thanks so much. With all of the Great Information from TIVO FORUM MEMBERS, I was considering the WD40PURZ and then implementing the DIY 10 ROAMIO. I asked if there was anything I needed to know about the PURZ from experience around 2015.
    I am working on a LINUX PROGRAM to utilize the MFSR and MSF TOOLS for the DIY 10TB ROAMIO project.
    Clear my head of DOS, from when I worked started with computers.
    Knowing LINUX is Similar and yet TOTALLY DIFFERENT from DOS.
    Thanks again.