Best basketball shot ever? Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by arenateam, Mar 21, 2006.

1. arenateam

arenateam New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I say no, but its the one of the best of the year. I found a link of this most incredible shot:

http://www.sportsstarsoftomorrow.com

2. AccidenT

AccidenT New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    South...
    No, because he should have been called for travelling when he jumped and landed without ever dribbling the ball. Of course, travelling is almost never called on anyone for doing that these days.

3. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Although hard to tell by the letter of the law, if you jump/hop and land with both feet at the same time and take a shot it is not traveling. Normally you will see guys do it in the paint, so this is a little bit different, but I imagine the same rule applies. I don't know high school rules, I just no a jump stop is legal in the NBA.

Actually I found this:
    http://www.coachesclipboard.net/JumpStop.shtml

Which has some high school rules regarding the jumpstop.

4. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Not the best shot ever because it was Luck.

5. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005
    That is not that the video appears to show. It shows that he got a rebound, came down with both feet, then, without a dribble, took a step with both feet.

Every year there are shots like that. Had it been a game winner, more impressive.

6. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    It's hard to imagine a more difficult shot, but that alone doesn't make him a great player. If he could make it frequently, that's different, but plenty of average or mediocre players have thrown up similar shots and gotten lucky. I'd rather have a player who can make shots half that difficult consistently but has never made a shot like that one. It's certainly awesome to watch, and he may even be a great player, but I wouldn't put much faith in a coach or scout who gave a lot of consideration to that one single shot, no matter how incredible.

7. Jupiterhead

Jupiterhead New Member

Dec 14, 2002
    Iowa
  8. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
  9. bruinfan

bruinfan Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    No one said anything about him being a great player (although he is one of the top rated sophomores in the country). It was a good shot, lucky or not. He did travel, but they didn't call it. The other one was legal. Both equally good, IMO.

10. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
  11. bruinfan

bruinfan Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
  12. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I would think that "one of the top 10 sophomores in the country" would qualify as "great" to many people, but I wasn't really responding to any such claim, implied or otherwise. I've seen a lot of shots just like this, usually someone's home video on the local news, but this was a somewhat professional-looking clip hyping this kid. Usually a clip about a shot like that is about the shot, not the player, so it did seem like they were trying to say, "look how good he is because of this shot."

13. Jupiterhead

Jupiterhead New Member

Dec 14, 2002
    Iowa
  14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
  15. JDHutt25

JDHutt25 Active Member

Dec 27, 2004
    That's the bounciest basketball I've ever seen. Plus, no reaction of shock from either kid on ANY of those shots?

16. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I'm assuming it took forever to do, so they didn't react to make you think it didn't take forever.

17. JDHutt25

JDHutt25 Active Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Right. Except, after making a few of those shots, there's no way NOT to react, especially once you make it after 200 tries.