Behavior of Original S3 with One Cablecard

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jeepguy_1980, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Unregistered User

Mar 1, 2008
    Newport...
    I just ordered an elite and have FiOS. I also have an S3, with lifetime. I plan to pull one cablecard and use it in my Elite. I know it will work with just one cablecard. But is the TiVo smart enough to ignore the second tuner? Or will it try recording on the second tuner, resulting in blank recordings.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I believe your Tivo will be SINGLE TUNER ONLY (regardless of source). That's what everyone has said all along.

3. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Last time I tried this it gave blank recordings (actually silently deleted) if it happened to use the second tuner. It's possible they've fixed this but I'd be surprised.

4. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    it's supposed to work fine as a single tuner TiVo, but I haven't done it, so I can't say for sure. But the documentation says it will work.

5. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    This is the way I understand it:

Series3 with OLED display, TCD648250
    with 2 Single Channel CableCards (S-Card) = 2 Tuners for cable and/or OTA
    with 2 Multi Channel CableCards (M-Card) = 2 Tuners for cable and/or OTA
    with 1 S-Card and 1 M-Card = 2 Tuners for cable and/or OTA
    with 1 S-Card = 1 Tuner for cable and/or OTA
    with 1 M-Card = 1 Tuner for cable and/or OTA

TiVo HD (TCD652160) and TiVo HD XL (TCD658000)
    with 2 S-Cards = 2 Tuners for cable and/or OTA
    with 2 M-Cards = 2 Tuners for cable and/or OTA (it may complain about extra CableCard)
    with 1 S-Card and 1 M-Card = 2 Tuners for cable and/or OTA (it may complain about extra CableCard)
    with 1 S-Card = 1 Tuner for cable and/or OTA
    with 1 M-Card = 2 Tuners for cable and/or OTA

Any Premiere
    with 1 M-Card = 2 tuners for cable and/or OTA
    with 1 S-Card = 0 tuners, the TiVo will complain about incompatible CableCard

Any Elite
    with 1 M-Card = 4 tuners for cable and/or OTA
    with 1 S-Card = 0 tuners, the TiVo will complain about incompatible CableCard

I think the TCD648 hardware is capable of using a single M-Card for 2 tuners, but the manufacturer of the chip that controls the CableCard reader did not provide a complete driver or function set to TiVo for software integration. Basically, TiVo doesn't know how to totally control the hardware via the software, so TiVo couldn't implement using a single M-Card for 2 tuners.

Please chime in if this is incorrect or incomplete.

robomeister