Been out of Tivo for about a year...need advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by valgrom, May 2, 2006.

1. May 2, 2006 #1 of 13
    valgrom

valgrom Who Needs Live TV

Dec 27, 2004
    Miami, Florida

Advertisements

I use to have a Dual Tuner DTV Tivo but I changed over to Dish DVR when I moved because...well...it doesn't matter why...suffice it to say I changed...and now with the Series 2 Dual Tuner STandalone I'm considering going back.

It really sucks that I can't get a lifetime subscription with this box cause really that's all I would have ever wanted....

Nonetheless...I'm still considering getting it and prepaying for a 3 year sub...

My question is what do you guys think? Is it worth it to shell out $500 for the box and the 3 years?

I have been on Dish DVR for almost a year and I still hate the interface....I miss my Tivo blips and sounds everytime I go to a friend's house that has a SA Tivo....

Need opinions here guys....

What is this I hear about limitations as to recording source?

Will I have any issues recording two shows from my Dish Network Satellite?

Any help would be appreciated....

Mike

2. May 2, 2006 #2 of 13
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    The DT won't help you. It runs on cable systems and cable systems only. If you're using Dish, your options are a regular S1 or S2 TiVo, one tuner only. Or wait for the 23.

3. May 2, 2006 #3 of 13
    mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Incorrect. The DT TiVo does work with satellite
    From - http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxdetails.asp?box=series280hrDTDVR
    However, unless you have analog cable for the second tuner to use, it's rather useless to have a two tuner TiVo setup with a satellite system.

4. May 2, 2006 #4 of 13
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    For TiVo to be really effective with Satellite it needs to be built into the Satellite box like what you had with Direct TV Tivo. You can use stand alone TiVos with most Dishnetwork DVRs/receivers but it is not optimal and you have to have 2 TiVos and 2 Dishnetwork receivers to have full dual tuner abilities.

I have a Humax T800 TiVo upgraded to 330 hours that I use for OTA and overflow from my Dishnetwork 510 DVR, which only holds about 80 hours. It is somewhat of a dual tuner setup because allot of what I watch is OTA so I can record 1 OTA show with the TiVo while the Dish DVR is recording a show off the Satellite.

The new Series 2 DT (Dual Tuner) TiVo doesn't change anything for Satellite users it can only control and record from 1 Satellite receiver and can not record OTA at all. The second tuner is for unscrambled analog cable only which makes it useless for Satellite users.

So do I think it is worth buying the new Series 2 DT to use with Dishnetwork? No!

If you receive OTA TV and TiVo can control your Dish DVR I would look at doing what I did keep the Dish DVR and add a standard Series 2 TiVo to the mix.

Thanks,

atmuscarella

5. May 2, 2006 #5 of 13
    valgrom

Dec 27, 2004
    Miami, Florida

Advertisements

Thanks guys...Glad I asked before pulling the trigger.

I guess I'm either going to have to go back to DTV or wait to see if this Comcast / Adelphia merger that I've heard about brings the Tivo O/S to the cable set-top box.

Thanks again.

Mike

6. May 2, 2006 #6 of 13
    Olde Fortran

Olde Fortran New Member

Apr 22, 2006
    For $500 I'll come to your house and make bloop sounds!

7. May 2, 2006 #7 of 13
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    why are you waiting on Comcast TiVo/OS deal - why not get cable and use this sereis 2 DT for analog recording on two channels (two analog or one digital/oneanalog) or wait and get the sereis 3 which will record two channels (digital or analog). Ypu have your reasons for liking Dish and I have no wish to try and change that, just curious about only going to cable if it a cable company DVR with TiVo OS

8. May 2, 2006 #8 of 13
    Carfan

Carfan Member

Aug 9, 2003
    New Hampshire
    I was at my local Comcast office yesterday to exchange a 6412 Series I DVR for the newer 3412 and the fellow at the counter informed me that the TiVo software will be available once the buyout of TiVo is complete in the near future.

First I heard! ANY truth to that?

:eek:

9. May 3, 2006 #9 of 13
    valgrom

Dec 27, 2004
    Miami, Florida

LOL...Thanks...but it's not just the sounds...I just really miss the O/S

As for why I don't just cancel my Dish and go to cable with the S2 DT Tivo: I signed a contract with Dish so I would have to pay to get out of it...but DTV pissed me off at the time and I said screw them...

I still wouldn't want to go back to them if I could help it....Particularly since they are doing away with all the Tivos anyway....

Mike

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

I am sure they would make sure some guy at a local service desk would be privvy to such business plans long before the financial press knew about it :rolleyes:

Maybe you can stop by Best Buy and get the numbers they used to finalize the deal :p

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The original plans of the Comcast deal called for it to be available by "mid-to-late 2006". So it should be fairly soon.

Dan

12. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    I wonder if Tivo could get this to work with a Dish 322? It has two tuners and two outputs

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    No, as the second tuner inthe 322 cannot be controlled by the TiVo (as the 322 uses a UHF remote for it), plus the second tuner in the TiVo can only be set up for cable.