Be honest, with recent changes, would you return a TiVo still within return period?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sangs, May 13, 2018.

1. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Title is pretty self-explanatory, but I'll expand upon it anyway. With the recent TOS changes, among other things, if you were within the return window for a full refund, would you return your TiVo(s)?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No but I'm a long time TiVo user with cable/CableCARD and my options are limited (and don't offer all the features).

Scott

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    No. Because the changes pretty much are just reflecting what is already reality. People panic. The entire transaction is “is this worth it for the time I expect to use the device?” Not “will I be able to sell it six years from now” or “replace it free?” That is not in the minds of most buyers when they buy a TiVo or any other consumer electronics.

aaronwt, rdrrepair, mdavej and 4 others like this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, since I'm Catholic and we don't believe in divorce.

Adjudic8r, razor237, wish_bgr and 8 others like this.
  5. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    You probably have a little more to worry with an older model TiVo where there aren't a decent percentage of monthly users.

I would guess you'll get enough usage to justify the purchase for a newer model, but I wouldn't go overboard. Just get what you need.

6. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    There's always the option of a little STB on the side

sangs likes this.
  7. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    If you share a OnePass with someone else, you're sharing it with everyone they've ever shared a OnePass with.

ncbill, aaronwt, gigaquad and 2 others like this.
  8. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    I don't even care that it's getting derailed with this type of humor. Awesome. :D

rdrrepair and JoeKustra like this.
  9. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    That was STB not STD

TishTash likes this.
  10. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    You gotta laugh to keep from cryin'

sangs likes this.
  11. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Nope. I'm not paranoid. Doom and gloom has been predicted here well before my official start date here.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The use of a poll would have produced quantitative results. But still humor.

sangs likes this.
  13. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Member

Sep 23, 2015
    My last Tivo purchase was a 'refurbished' Roamio OTA with Lifetime guide service (not quite lifetime anymore, though) - $200.

Return it if I could? No.

But, I am glad I only paid $200 for the entire package. I would be hard pressed to buy a new 4K Bolt 1 Tb storage with All-in service for about $850 knowing that they could pull guide support anytime by just saying they don't support the unit any more. Add in a Mini Vox for another $179? Nope.

IMHO, a better approach would be to have offered multi-year guide service at various costs to newly purchased units. Combine that with a promise to support the unit for at least nn years (say 5 minimum) and and that is a more reasonable approach. Yes, they would have to grandfather people like me in, or offer a really GREAT deal on a new Bolt, but it would have preserved trust.

Like I said, the idea of paying $800+ for a new Bolt when I get my 4K High Dynamic Range TV in the next year or two just doesn't make sense now.

ncbill, wizwor and Mikeguy like this.
  14. SullyND

SullyND L: 30-3 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    There is really no other option, so no.

samccfl99 and Mikeguy like this.
  15. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well that's not remotely true. There are literally dozens of other options, depending on where one lives and what one's needs are.

16. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Thought about it. However, every poll thread around here generally turns into a bitchfest about missing options in said poll.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, if it's still within the return window then we're talking more annulment than divorce.

JoeKustra likes this.
  18. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    No offense, but I don't think the "be honest" part is being adhered to. Try to clear your mind of being with TiVo since the good old days. OK, now, say two weeks ago you purchased two Bolt VOX 3 TB's at $499 a pop, two Mini Vox's at $179 a pop, dropped two lifetime subs at $600 a pop - or two yearly subs at $150. Now, this week, you are hit with the news that TiVo is getting out of the hardware biz and has changed its TOS. So you have the option of recouping all that money, or staying put and hoping your investment doesn't turn into a failing cryptocurrency they promised you would flourish. It would make me nervous. It's not like that is just a drop in the bucket.

And this is not me btw. My stuff is well past returnable. I'm just trying to put myself (ourselves) in somebody else's shoes. I personally don't think the news of the week is going to help TiVo get more subscribers/purchasers. (Oh, and Doom and Gloom is starting be as overused as Buttery Smooth.)

19. SullyND

SullyND L: 30-3 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Who else offers skipmode? TTG?

Mikeguy and kpeters59 like this.
  20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Sure the be honest part is being adhered to. When I bought my TiVo’s I was looking at the cost versus value for using them for a few years. I don’t see where the changes have affected that. It is the same purchase decision I make for just about anything. Is the price worth what I’m getting out of it. If it isn’t for the time I’m going to use it, no resale or trade in is going on change that. Very few people resell their electronics despite the conversation to that point around here.