BBCA's Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Dec 11, 2016.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I added "BBCA" to the title because there seems to have been another British tv version of this show from 2012.

I spent most of the early episodes wondering what the heck has going on. Then, in the later episodes, when they finally started to explain things, I had to turn my brain off because the time loop stuff was too confusing for very early Saturday and Sunday morning watchings.

Some questions:
    - Who hired Bart and why didn't she know that she was supposed to protect Dirk?
    - Who were the weirdo gang of three guys and what were their purpose?
    - What was that thing on Farrah's head? Her hairdo was very distracting.
    - Apparently Todd does have his sister's disease. Is this because of the time travel stuff?

I was kinda bummed that the detective was (apparently) killed at the end.

Kinda surprising that there was no buzz about this show. Did people watch this version via magical means before BBCA broadcasted it?

2. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    No one hired Bart, I don't think. She's a Holistic Assassin. She goes where she feels she needs to be and kills people that she feels need to be killed. But, clearly somehow she heard about Dirk and felt like she had to kill him: this happened before the show started and we don't know how or why. Maybe she misunderstood something she was told: she does filter everything through a single lens.

The four guys (The Rowdy 3 ("But there are four of them" "I'm wildly aware")) are test subjects from Black Wing, like Bart and Dirk, but they obviously have different "powers". There are, from the briefing we saw, actually quite a few more special people out there; I'll be interested to see if any more show up in the next season.

They didn't shy away from killing off sympathetic characters, which was surprisingly dark. But I guess if they're going to do one "case" per season or something like that, they can afford to lose secondary characters like that.

We absolutely loved this show and we're getting ready to watch it again with our kids when they're on break from school.

3. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    This one is not to be confused with a four-hour British version from 2010, nor is it the British series which ran in 2012 with different actors. This one with Elijah Wood is new as far as IMDB tells me, and I don't think it aired in the UK (but I could be wrong).

We should have started a thread for it sooner, but there was mention of it in the British thread, which confuses me so i stay out of it. Glad to see it has been renewed for a 2nd season!

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I really loved this show. Lots of fun, very quirky. Glad it's back for another season.

speedcouch likes this.
  5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

For a while, about halfway through the last episode, I was disappointed that they were wrapping it up so neatly with such sweet endings for all the characters.

Silly me! :D

6. jon777

jon777 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    I've got two episodes left (so I am just skimming the thread to avoid any meaningful spoilers), but have had a love/hate with the show. I read the books maybe 20+ years ago and remembered liking them (although not as much as the Hitchhikers increasingly misnamed trilogy), and remembered a lot of quirkiness, but not the overall plot.

At the start of the series I wasn't sure whether I liked it or hated it, as the characters were all so bizarre and the storyline very disconnected. However, as it came together, I found it more and more quirky and fun and am now enjoying the ride.

One thing I'm curious about (I'm trying not to go back and read too much about it to avoid spoiling the finish), is the plot anything resembling what was in the 2 books? I don't recall it being about switching souls and the like, but given the length of time, maybe I'm just forgetting...

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, it's pretty different.

Interestingly, the current comic book series ties together the book Dirk, the TV Dirk, and the previous comic book Dirk, in a nifty (and, of course, strange) way.

jon777 likes this.
  8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Was the book set in America? I'm surprised I didn't read the book a million years ago but it was a million years ago, so I might have read it but have forgotten everything about it.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Nope, the books are set in England.

I'm pretty sure that for Douglas Adams, there was nothing but England and outer space. ;)

10. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    This was one of my top two favorite shows this year. A+ season. Perfectly cast, hilarious, and so well written. Very pleased to hear that a season 2 is coming.

11. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    How soon you forget the alternate timeline where Tricia McMillan went to New York to audition for an anchor position on the morning show "U.S./A.M."

The Salmon of Doubt was apparently to take place in the U.S. as well (I don't think they have "GUSTY WINDS MAY EXIST" signs in the U.K.).

12. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I think I had watched the first two episodes of this show when they first aired. I finally got around to pulling a marathon viewing on the rest of the season this past weekend.

I thought it was good. Weird show, that I guess explained(confusingly) enough by the end of the season. I will stick around for season 2.

13. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Same here. Hope there is a second season. :)

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There is.

There is also a comic book series that somehow manages to link the books, the TV show, and the previous comics.