BBCA watchers can you transfer

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by xultar, Apr 27, 2011.

1. xultar

xultar New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Your shows to another TiVo?

I'm about to start a revolution on this issue.

Charter is telling me that TiVo does not have the technology to do multiroom viewing

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you can transfer shows between TiVos it determined by what "flags" your cable provider sets on the shows when they transmit them. I do not know if BBCA requires them to set a no copy flag or not but if you cannot transfer the show, that is what your cable provider is doing. If they did not set the no copy flag you could transfer it.

Good Luck,

3. anotherlab

anotherlab New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany, NY
    You'll need to see if Charter is setting the CCI flag on the shows that you want to transfer. This will vary from one cable provider to another. I just switched from Time Warner Cable, who sets the CCI flag to 0x01 (Copy Once) on BBCA (and just about every other channel), to FiOS TV, which does not set the CCI flag.

What Charter probably meant is that TiVo does not do multiroom streaming, it has to copy the show to the destination TiVo unit. You do have the ability to view the show as it's being transferred, if you have a fast enough connection between the TiVo boxes.

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I wouldn't even count on Charter being slightly mistaken that way - they probably just want to say anything bad about Tivo they can. In my experience, most cableco drones can't tell the difference between "streaming" and "copying" anyway.

The issue is, getting cablecos to do anything about the CCI byte is difficult to nigh impossible. Other than premiums, I'm not sure if any channels actually DO ask the cablecos to set CCI byte - but that sure hasn't stopped them from setting it!

5. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Check out the link in my sig to check your area. If it isn't listed, drop a note in the thread and I'll add your area.

edit: Oops, sorry you already posted that in Feb. What changed to get you upset about it?

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    BBCA is copy-protected for me (Brighthouse).

7. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    BBCA isn't protected for me (Comcast).

8. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    me neither (RCN)

9. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    nor me (FIOS)

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    BBCA is protected for me (CCI byte 0x02) on Frontier FiOS. :( This is consistent w/the crap they pulled (putting protection on almost all channels except those available OTA) a month before we were moved from Verizon to Frontier.

11. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    BBCA on RCN-Boston is not copy-protected. In fact I just pulled the Royal Wedding off the TiVo to my Linux box at the request of my wife....

12. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    BBCA Not copy protected with WOW Detroit.

13. qunewsguy

qunewsguy Member

Sep 19, 2006
    BBCA is copy-protected for me on Cox in Connecticut.