Battlestar Galactica speculation: What will Laura's fate be?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hefe, Jan 16, 2006.

Will President Roslin die?

1. Yes, she will die from her illness

26 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Yes, she will die, but for another reason

7 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. No, her life will be extended, but she won't be cured

50 vote(s)
    36.5%
  4. No, she will be cured somehow

54 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town

Advertisements

Just fishing for opinions here.

Obviously anyone who's watched the show knows that she has terminal cancer, and little time left, according to her doctor. There has been some discussion in the threads that some people think that they will find a way to save her, a miracle cure, a new body, whatever. I'm sure others think that she will simply die and that will be it for her.

I'm not looking for any spoiler information, just your impression of what they will do based on your own speculation.

2. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The million dollar question. One that's been on everyone's minds but no one has wanted to ask because Laura Palmer is such a damn good character and Mary McDonnell is awesome in the role.

I for one hope she goes no where.

3. Vito the TiVo

Vito the TiVo Rockin' the Suburbs

Oct 27, 2003
    Valencia,...
    Wow, I'm the only one that thought she would die as laid out. The show likes to be surprising, but many times it is surprising because it bucks the television trend and does what is real more than what we assume would happen on a television show. There are many examples of this, the most recent being what happened, or rather didn't happen at the end of the last episode.

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    She's a great character and a great actress. Unless she wants to quit the show, they should do whatever it takes to keep her character alive and vital.

5. Skittles

Skittles West Coast citizen!

May 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA

Advertisements

I'm thinking last minute cure. They've gotta build the drama up and then find a way to keep her around at the absolute last moment possible.

6. Hippster

Hippster Active Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm trying to remember what the gods said about her role... the dying leader that leads them home, etc.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It would be interesting to see how the gods would react if she were to defy their will (by living)...

8. stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    The gods said dying (which she is), not that she actually died.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They said she would not live to see Earth...

Perhaps her survival is what will prevent Galactica from ever finding Earth!

10. sschwart

sschwart It sucks to be me

Apr 4, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    I think she'll die. It might be longer than the doctors expect, but I think the writers of BSG have been too good to make some cheap excuse to save her. There's no magic, there's no resurrection...unless she's a cylon(!), and there's no cure. Mary's is doing a fantastic job with her role, but I'm under the impression that the writers have a plot figured out for some time into the future.

That's not to say that Adama might not start hallucinating of Laura being there, much like Baltar does of Six...

11. Skittles

May 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    *ponder*

Y'know, Roslin as a Cylon would be REALLY interesting. Especially since Adama's so anti-Cylon, treats PregnantBoomer (Ooh, I can call her child BabyBoomer) like an animal.... and is finally realizing he's in love with Laura. Can you imagine how bad he'd wig out when he realizes he's in love with a Cylon?

And it would explain why Leoben was able to connect with her so easily...

12. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    I'd like it if not only she died but died within the next few episodes. I like the character and I don't have any perverse desire to see her die but the Doc said she had at tops a month to live. Unless they shoot each episode as one day, there's no way she can survive the entire season without some miracle.

I don't think she's necessarily a cylon but she certainly has become harder recently. Kill Kaine (sp?), kill the Boomer baby.

13. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town

Who did kill Laura Palmer?

;)

14. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    It seemed to me that Adama is a little more open to the Spylons than Laura. She's the one that wants to toss them out of air locks. He brings Boomer to his quarters sits her down and wants to talk.

Do you really think that Adama is in love with her? There was one ep last year where they danced together and it looked they had chemistry but that kiss at the end did seem to be a big jump.

J

15. Skittles

May 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    There's *something* developing between them, and I think it's more than just a friendship or a working relationship. They've taken to calling each other Laura and Bill much more often, and there's just this look in Adama's eyes whenever they talk about her illness. Plus, his crying when she walked off from him at the end of the last episode was a little telling.

*shrug* Or maybe I'm just reading too much into things. :)

16. FreedMegabyte

FreedMegabyte New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    NC
    She's probably a toaster anyway! (JK)

17. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    Real answer:
    Bob

18. Granny

Granny PatPacker

Mar 29, 2005
    Tukwila, WA
    I think Adama has increasing respect, even admiration for her. The kiss was very platonic, IMHO. The tears - sadness for the realization that she is dying? They have forged a strong bond, but I don't see it as love in the sexual way. Besides, she is pretty sick... I love the way she barely has the effort to talk at times.

As far as the gods predictions about a dying leader... it could be said that we are all dying. Unless of course you are a Cylon.

The bigger question will be what to do with the Veep. I can't imagine allowing him to rise to the presidency. ((shudder)) Unless he is all "cured" now, and banished Gina from his brain??? Though every time I think she is gone, she pops up again. Are we to believe that Laura has no idea what a zombie he is? Certainly she/the writers will have to devise a way to get him out of office before she dies.

19. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Not necessarily; having Baltar as President would cause some real (& dramatic) havoc, which is what this show thrives on. Besides, then he can follow his namesake's character arc and betray them all...

Um, huh!? You lost me with this one... :confused:

20. Granny

Granny PatPacker

Mar 29, 2005
    Tukwila, WA
    Well, perhaps zombie isn't quite the right word. It's just when he has gone off in to his fugues with Gina, he has not exactly been functioning on the same mental plane as the rest of the crew, don'tcha think?