Battlestar Galactica 8/12/05 (S02E05) "The Farm"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jonathan_S, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Aug 12, 2005 #1 of 195
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

Farms huh. Nasty.

I really though for a moment that Starbuck was dead. (Of course that is what they wanted me to think, but still...)

I liked how you could notice that the doctor called Kara "Starbuck" even though she hadn't told him that. Just enough to confirm (although I never really seriously doubted) that he was a Cylon.

Should be all sorts of interesting when the heavy raider with Boomer at the controls shows up at the fleet. Most of them aren't going to take kindly to Boomer's return, even with Adama (threat?/promise?) to the Chief that he'd see Boomer again.

And they've revealed yet another of the 12 humanoid cylons.

Hmm, and how did Boomer know that Leobon told Starbuck about Starbuck's destiny? I know another Leobon model would know (or would it be all other Leobon models?), but why would a Boomer model.

2. Aug 12, 2005 #2 of 195
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Because they communicate. They Have A Plan, you know--and I doubt they keep it a secret from each other!

And it's ABOUT FRAKKIN' TIME that somebody started to realize that the Spylons are more than just machines. I wonder how Adama's growing realization will affect the already horribly complicated social dynamics on Galactica? He already has at least one traitor on the bridge (Dualla)...

3. Aug 12, 2005 #3 of 195
    danieljanderson

danieljanderson Proud to preach TiVo

Nov 18, 2002
    I can't believe that no one in the resistance took a shot at Boomer!

I can't believe that Adama has a soft spot for Spylon Boomer. That's the only way she is going to make it on board Galactica.

4. Aug 12, 2005 #4 of 195
    latrobe7

latrobe7 What, me worry?

May 1, 2005
    Orange...
    My sentiments exactly, they can't trust her. They have to assume that everything she does is Cylon manipulation. Gee, shows up just in time with the location of Starbuck and the ship they need. Hmm, wonder how she came upon either one of those.

Anders should have shot her right in the head. What does he care if Helo would be pissed?

5. Aug 13, 2005 #5 of 195
    GadgetFreak

GadgetFreak New Member

Jun 3, 2002

Advertisements

I don't think they are headed to the fleet. Starbuck was supposed to bring the arrow to Kobol, wasn't she?

6. Aug 13, 2005 #6 of 195
    GadgetFreak

GadgetFreak New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    When Starbuck wound up in the hospital, I thought they were preparing to make some Starbuck model Cylons. The farm was pretty creepy.

She said she didn't know what the second scar was, but didn't she overhear the doctor say that they had tested her ovaries? Or would that not explain the scar?

I was also a little confused at Boomer's conversation. I guess she openly told the resistance that she was a cylon? And she seemed pretty adamant when telling them cylons could not get pregnant...to the point that you have to doubt that she is.

7. Aug 13, 2005 #7 of 195
    vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    So cylons are a cross between humans and something else that makes them infertile, like mules.

Did Baltar have any lines this episode?

8. Aug 13, 2005 #8 of 195
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    So they brought back the previews at the start of the episode...

9. Aug 13, 2005 #9 of 195
    appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    I agree. I don't think they're "machines" at all. They're more like imperfect humans with excellent telepathy abilities.

And I noticed that it appears that, judging from the scars on her chest, that Galactica Boomer was autopsied. What suprised me was that her head was intact. If I was chopping up a Cylon to see what made it tick, the skull is the first thing I'd crack. What with shooting them out the airlocks and doing half-*** autopsies, they don't seem to be too concerned with figuring out how to identify Cylons.

10. Aug 13, 2005 #10 of 195
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Initially. But unless the show wants to stick with a permanently split fleet, eventually the two parts (the ones a Kobol, and the ones that stayed with Galactica) will reunite. And that's when the Boomer situation gets really interesting.

(Although it might be kind of interesting just when they get back to Kobol.)

11. Aug 13, 2005 #11 of 195
    tbone526

tbone526 *Clever title here*

Dec 2, 2004
    Chicago
    Boomer wasn't shot immediately because Helo identified her as "with us." Probably by the time he got around to actually telling everyone she was a Cylon, he was able to control the situation a little better. Although I too was surprised that the resistance would agree to work with her. In a longer episode we probably would have seen a lot more of the interaction and discussion about this whole topic, but presumably they figured that would take too much time out of this one hour episode.

I was a little confused by Adama's conversation with the Cheif, when they discussed the concept of "loving" Galactica Bommer, and then Adama's sobbing over her body in the morgue. Didn't Adama say something to the effect that Boomer had served with them for two years and she had been "more than a machine" to them? I have a hunch he'll be getting away from the "strictly toaster" viewpoint.

I don't think it will take long for Adama to get everyone together, but will he "play the religion card" to do it? Don't forget, at the end of the mini, he basically promised everyone he could lead them to Earth, got them all into the spirit of it with the repeated "so say we all", kind of like an old fashioned revival meeting. Or did the Prez already tell everyone that Adama lied about knowing where to go?

Discussing info from previews for next week's episode as well as other information previously discussed about upcoming plot points:

Previews for next episode showed the President ordering Caprica Boomer tossed out an airlock, but then some argument about the point. Could Boomer be the "friendly Cylon" that they use from here on out?

Are we about to the point where the Pegasus shows up with Michelle Forbes as Admiral Cain? If I can't have Boomer, then put me under Michelle Forbes command.

12. Aug 13, 2005 #12 of 195
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Next week's previews:
    What interested me about that scene is that they seem to be setting it up where the sweet little school-teacher who accidently became President is going to be the hard-line anti-Cylon, while the hard-ass military commander will be the one who judges Cylons on their individual merits, and might be willing to work with the right Cylons.

I've suspected (along with other folks, of course) almost since the beginnings that there are anti-human and pro-human factions among the Cylons (although even the pro-human ones seem to be more interested in using us than working with us). It would be very interesting if anti-Cylon and, well, not pro-Cylon but less-anti-Cylon factions emerged among the humans as well, and then if the moderate humans and the moderate Cylons joined forces or at least collaborated to an extent. Then you'd have three sides to the war--the hard-line Cylons who want to wipe out the human race; the hard-line humans who want to wipe out the Cylon race; and the moderates who want to co-exist (but each on their own terms, which probably means another war if they win this one).

Dang, this show is good!

13. Aug 13, 2005 #13 of 195
    ovr8ted

ovr8ted New Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Our God tells us to "be fruitful, , , ". So I guess this means that those that follow The Bible are Cylons :eek:

Another human model exposed, which will bring more interogation onboard Galactica no doubt. We should expect more tales of the future from that, and I would hope another autopsy, as mentioned previously.

Agreed, it is funny how Boomer showed up at just the right time, with the right equipment. Hmmmm. Doesn't matter, I'm always happier when Boomer is part of the script ;) Although I'm surprised Kara didn't blow her head off this time.

And what gives with Kara's romance :mad: , she is supposed to be untouchable feelings wise, except to Lee. This overnight love affair with promises bothers me, leave that for daytime tv.

As always, this show rocks! Spread the word.

14. Aug 13, 2005 #14 of 195
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, I think it's interesting--she's always been kind of, well, sexually careless. Now, she has begun to form what could develop (under other circumstances) into a healthy relationship. Does this represent a growth in her character? I think so--she certainly hasn't shown any interest in her sexual partners after the fact in the past.

Starbuck, for all her bluster, is actually one of the most interesting characters on the show. She has very plausibly changed very dramatically (her sexual and religious attitudes being the most obvious examples) in a very short time. It will be very interesting to see what affect this has on her place on Galactica when she finally gets back--and I suspect that's why they've kept her away so long, so that she can be a different person when she returns.

15. Aug 13, 2005 #15 of 195
    latrobe7

latrobe7 What, me worry?

May 1, 2005
    Orange...
    Anybody thinking about collaborating with rebel-Cylons or a good-guy-Boomer; please shake yourselves. The only good Cylon is a dead Cylon. Galactica Boomer proved that. No matter how much she thought she was human, or wanted to be human, or wanted to side with the humans; she was still at the command of her deeper programming that seems automatic, unconscious and beyond her will. How could a Cylon prove their loyalty? Galactica Boomer blew up a whole frakkinÂ’ basestar, then turned around an shot Adama.

16. Aug 13, 2005 #16 of 195
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Another interesting thing is that they showed that Roslyn was intentionally playing the "religion card" to manipulate the believers.

17. Aug 13, 2005 #17 of 195
    Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    In the promo at the end of this episode
    Boomer, who is about to tossed out an airlock by Roslin, says "I know where the Temple of Athene is."
    I bet the Temple of Athene is the place where Six showed Baltar their "baby" in Baltar's internal vision (which occurred in a prior episode while Baltar was stuck on Kobol).

18. Aug 13, 2005 #18 of 195
    devlindark

devlindark New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    this show has so many dynamics it's amazing and keeps you on your toes.

My observation is that the Cylons have evolved to this human like form, yet they are starting to develop a concense of their own - did you hear the convo with the doctor
    when she said to him "is that regret I hear in your voice" and he responded "if it is it's none of your conern"

This is where they begin to evolve and have their own Ideas and feelings ect ect
    I am sure we will see this take shape over the rest of this season and seasons to come

Man this show rocks!!!!

sorry I have no Idea how to do the spoiler stuff

19. Aug 13, 2005 #19 of 195
    Charlutz

Charlutz New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Columbia, MD
    She's already hooked up with Baltar and Lee. Maybe she had some feeling for the guy after he saved her life, but just getting a little action is not out of character for her at all.

20. Aug 13, 2005 #20 of 195
    Charlutz

Charlutz New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Columbia, MD
    You're assuming a lot. I just figured they didn't tell the resistance she was a cylon. Maybe they told Anders and one or two others, but they didn't have to. I also suspect none of the resistance had seen the Boomer model cylons walking around either because nobody freaked out when she walked up.