Battlestar Galactica 2/03/2006 (S02E15) "Scar"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jonathan_S, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Feb 3, 2006 #1 of 156
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

I counted 15 named dead Viper pilots. Although I don't know if that was working on all to date, or if that was just those lost in this system. I hope it was losses to date, otherwise Scar and the other raiders were really beating up Galactica's fighter strength.

I do have to say that the skipping around in time is getting really old..

It is nice to hear that Pegasus at least has the ability to build new Vipers. I do wonder if they are going to try to build designs other than Vipers; maybe something along the lines of the Blackbird, or possibly some brand new specialized design.

2. Feb 3, 2006 #2 of 156
    sackman

sackman New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    What a mess of an episode. It seems since Roslin's miraculous recovery the show has gone downhill fast. Here's hoping next week breaks the trend.

3. Feb 3, 2006 #3 of 156
    Skittles

Skittles West Coast citizen!

May 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Ugh, a legendary Cylon ace fighter pilot?

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Nice to see them humanize Starbuck a bit more, but this episode was just bad. Next week's looks REALLY good though.

4. Feb 3, 2006 #4 of 156
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I was thinking early on in the episode "Hmm, didn't I already see this episode on Space: Above and Beyond?"

Legendary Cylon ace fighter pilot
    Legendary Chig ace bomber pilot

Nah, no similarity at all.

5. Feb 4, 2006 #5 of 156
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town

Advertisements

Despite the problems, I thought it was a whole lot better than last week. Personally, I don't mind the non-linear stories. In fact, I kind of like it. What I'm not crazy about is the stories being so heavily single character-centric. I like it on Lost, but that's their thing.

6. Feb 4, 2006 #6 of 156
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Much better than last week

It's nice to see them actually using Mark VII Vipers, since they should obviously have a redistribution from Pegasus. Last few weeks they were still flying Mark IIs.

7. Feb 4, 2006 #7 of 156
    dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    I'm having a real tough time with BSG this season. I understand things like character development and drama, dark stories, and all that-- but they've managed to make me hate every character on the show. Every story needs a protagonist and, unless I'm mistaken, there are none left on this show. There's no one left to root for. I can't stand the way Starbuck suddenly is ga-ga over the basketball player, Apollo is suddenly ga-ga for a prostitute, and the President is suddenly a murderer. I find myself rooting for the toasters at this point.

8. Feb 4, 2006 #8 of 156
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I liked this ep LESS than the last one...there was no drama (what? you thought Scar would kill Kara?)...non-linear is fine, once in a while, not every fraking ep...

and Lee is back to normal...his angst didn't last long...

Kara takes all the risk, delivers scar for the kill shot, and Kat gets the glory...yep, that's realistic...

bah...

9. Feb 4, 2006 #9 of 156
    fredo

fredo New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    I think the list is losses to date cause she mentioned Crashdown, who obviously died on Kobol.

10. Feb 4, 2006 #10 of 156
    Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    I only caught a few episodes of that show but I also made that connection.

Some were Raptor pilots...

I liked this episode. I started off hating Cat but as the episode progressed it got pretty clear that even though she had an attitude about it she was completely right. It makes sense that the Raiders would get more and more deadly if they get "resurected" like the human model Cylons. Practice makes perfect after all... Scar just happened to be unlucky enough to be in the right place to get into the fight more often than other Raiders.

11. Feb 4, 2006 #11 of 156
    net114

net114 Tivolitic Guru

Dec 29, 2000
    florida
    What am I missing? Will someone explain to me how they are out dogfighting on constant patrols without the fleet jumping so the entire fleet is not attacked? Or is that something we were just supposed to assume?

At first I thought that maybe I missed something and this was all simulation, because it didn't "fit" with the normal battle strategy that has gone on for the entire show. Or am I wrong??

edit: and I have to say, I like the cylon pilots as lifeless, cold, no-nickname mysteries. Makes them much more scary. This is kind of like the Borg after 32 episodes and they started 'humanizing' them. Much more devastating when they just keep coming and seem emotionless. (at least for the fighters).

12. Feb 4, 2006 #12 of 156
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    they mentioned that the fleet is somewhere else under the protection of Pegasus...only Galactica and the mining crew are here.

They also mentioned that the raiders are not attacking en masse because now they die (because there is no resurrection ship).

13. Feb 4, 2006 #13 of 156
    Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    One thing I thought was really cool about this episode was when the Raider was destroyed. Previously they just blew up like any other space ship explosion. The blood spray was a very cool/gruesome touch.

14. Feb 4, 2006 #14 of 156
    Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    Very average uninteresting pulp sci-fi. One-note characters, a simple predictable plot, on-the-nose dialogue. Not good.

15. Feb 4, 2006 #15 of 156
    Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    [trivia] Chiggy von Richthofen [/trivia]

--Carlos V.

16. Feb 4, 2006 #16 of 156
    Vito the TiVo

Vito the TiVo Rockin' the Suburbs

Oct 27, 2003
    Valencia,...
    On the contrary, excellent drama often has no absolutes with no clear cut good guys and bad guys. Look at The Shield, or The Sopranos. Hell, look at ER where everyone has had their dark period.

And I can guarantee you that the sympathy for the Cylons is deliberate. There's no character in the show that is an outright "white hat" hero... they're all a little dirty. And there is no outright "black hat" villian... you even have sympathy for Sharon, beaten Six, even Baltar sometimes...

It creates great conflict on the show and even in the viewer himself (or herself).

17. Feb 4, 2006 #17 of 156
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    This reminded me a LOT of last week's Apollo fiasco (where they suddenly and dramatically altered Apollo's character with almost no foreshadowing). A lot of the Starbuck stuff just came out of the blue.

This show has really started to sink. Last week I said that it was no longer a great show, just a very very good one. Now, maybe I'll say just a very good show...

18. Feb 4, 2006 #18 of 156
    Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    I think season one set the bar very high for this show. This episode seemed lackluster when compared to that.

Still way better than anything else scifi has on. I hope the success of BSG can spawn some new quality shows for SciFi. I feel they have beaten this stargate thing to death.

19. Feb 4, 2006 #19 of 156
    7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    Yikes. This episode was worse than last week.

That makes 3 episodes in a row that used the "48 hours ago", etc. motif. Enough already.

This episode was what BSG looks like when it's spinning its wheels. The over all plot was not moved forward one inch during this episode. Can we get back to figuring out where Earth is, how to kill the Cylons, how Kobol fits in, how the President thinks she might be a messiah, the nuclear bomb in the hands of a "resistance" group, Baltar's Cylon detector, etc.?

There is just so much other stuff to address, I wonder why TPTB decided to waste a whole episode on "Scar".

Yeesh.

20. Feb 4, 2006 #20 of 156
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    No Six -- No Baltar -- No good....