Battlebots Season 5 - 2020 - 2021

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Donbadabon, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Dec 3, 2020 #1 of 141
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

Starts tonight on Discovery.

BattleBots

The ultimate robot-fighting series returns for an all-new metal crunching season, premiering Thursday, December 3 at 8PM ET/PT on Discovery Channel in the US.

After production was halted earlier this year due to COVID-19, BATTLEBOTS is back for a brand-new season. Sixty teams from across the globe converged for the hardest hitting, unremitting, steel splitting tournament in combat robotics. Unproven rookies, up-and-coming stars and legends in the game throw their fearsome fighting machines into the BattleBox for a chance to walk away with the preeminent prize in robotic sport: The Giant Nut.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    justen_m, Steveknj and Jonathan_S like this.
  2. Dec 3, 2020 #2 of 141
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought the "I like big bots. I cannot lie." commercial was funny the first couple of times I saw it. Yesterday I was watching the Discovery Channel and that commercial played seemingly at every commercial break. Now I'm sick of it.

3. Dec 4, 2020 #3 of 141
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Glad to see it back!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  4. Dec 4, 2020 #4 of 141
    ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I'm happy to see it again. I enjoy some light hearted entertainment. And they did manage to put in a few unique bots, SMEEEEEEeee especially. It's nice to see something other than vertical spinner, horizontal spinner, lifter, and wedge. Those do seem to be the best designs but they get boring after a while.

My new favorite is "Rusty". One guy picking up junk to build a bot. I will feel bad when he runs up against a power bot. It ain't going to be pretty...

Steveknj likes this.
  5. Dec 4, 2020 #5 of 141
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

Does that mean there was a partial season thrown away, or we're now seeing the partial season 'finished' by the new recording? I don't think the latter, since it was clearly always COVID-inspired.

I watched it, though I have almost all of the previous seasons on my Tivo (I think I watched the first two eps of the revival season then for some reason stopped.. When I watch them, I'll have to confirm I have all eps, since I know at least one ep says it's season 9, but it's really the 2nd to last S4 episode, at least based on the title). I started watching the whole thing at 1.7x, then realized I was losing the enjoyment of the actual competitions (some reality shows work fine IMO at that speed).. so I went to 1.9x for the non-competition parts and normal speed for the actual competition. Makes the show much more enjoyable!

Though when was this actually recorded? I'm amazed they didn't have a short Grant Imihara memorial or at least dedicate it to him in the credits.

6. Dec 4, 2020 #6 of 141
    MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    According to Wikipedia, filming began on 10/3/2020.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. However, I was disappointed how many of the battles ended in fairly quick knockouts. I guess that's not unexpected with the odd year this has been. I doubt they had as much practice this year. SMEEEEEE...EEE was cool; it'll be fun to see it go up against a more typically sized bot.

7. Dec 4, 2020 #7 of 141
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I agree about the quick knockouts. I wish if one was thrown from the field of play, they would do something like put it back in play but award the other team a couple extra points.

I sure do love when the pieces start flying. Seeing one robot rip another apart is cool.

And I agree about Rusty. lol. He isn't going to do well against the more destructive ones.

8. Dec 4, 2020 #8 of 141
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Shark + SMEEEE were both interesting, but the actual battle was boring.

I should go look up the actual rules.. it sure seemed like these things were WAY bigger than they were in the previous BattleBots incarnation (and even in the first 2 eps of S1 of this run that I saw so far).

9. Dec 4, 2020 #9 of 141
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    2019: - There is no maximum size limit; however, your bot (or combination of bots) must be able tostart the match from completely within the space of an 8’ x 8’ square.
    2020: - Size Limits The primary bot size limit is that a Team’s bot (or the combination of a Multi-Bot’s robots) has to start the match from completely within the space of an 8’ x 8’ square. Any bot must also be able to be moved through the 8’ x 8’ Arena entry doors without disassembly. BattleBots officials may allow limited exceptions to the floor space limit if you can convincingly explain on your application why your bot needs a larger space

Most of the rules have an explicit or implied "convince us why violating this rule would be cool, and we might allow it". I suspect Smeeeee fell into that category.

That said, battlebots used to have weight classes which led to a variety of sizes. The current competition is somewhere between the original Heavyweight and Super-heavyweight classes, and those bots get pretty large. They're somewhat deceptive to look at on camera without reference, only when you see them being being wheeled in in person can you get a true sense of their size.

10. Dec 5, 2020 #10 of 141
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I do believe there is a maximum weight limit you cannot exceed that are part of the rules.

11. Dec 5, 2020 #11 of 141
    eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    250 comes to mind, but I'm not sure.

12. Dec 6, 2020 #12 of 141
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I think it's 250 lbs as well in total across everything. So if you have extra little bots or drones, they are counted into the total as well. Several times the teams had to switch between a heavier weapon and lighter armor combination between matches.

And for those in Canada, it airs a couple of weeks later on Sunday. I think we see it on the 20th.

13. Dec 6, 2020 #13 of 141
    eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Definitely total. They mention that when there are multi-bots.

14. Dec 6, 2020 #14 of 141
    MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I got curious after reading this discussion, so I looked it up. According to the rules (which are really worth reading if you're a fan), 250 lbs is the limit. There are some details around the totals, spoilerized for length:
    Section 2. Weight Limits a. Maximum Weight The maximum allowed weight is 250.0 pounds ready to fight. There is no minimum weight. Flying bots (“Flybots”) are limited to a maximum of 10.0 pounds each, ready to fight. Exceptions to the Flybot weight limit may be made on a case-by-case basis, depending upon the construction and configuration of the Flybot. We are concerned about damage to the Arena sides and ceiling. Your bot’s final official weight will be measured on our certified scales at the Tournament. Any other weight measurements you have taken, at home or otherwise, will not be applicable. Note that scales can vary by 5% or more -- if your bot is overweight, you will have very little time at the Tournament to correct it. We recommend that you design your bot underweight and bring ballast. b. Weight Exclusions • Safety covers and restraints do not count towards the weight of your bot. • If you (or BattleBots) install one or two small cameras on your bot, the weight of such cameras will not count towards the weight limit of your bot. • If BattleBots installs a telemetry package into your bot, the weight of the telemetry package will not count towards the weight limit of your bot. c. Additional Decoration Weight Bots can have additional decoration that increases the robot weight over the 250 pound limit, subject to the following: 1) The bot without the decoration cannot weigh over the 250 pound limit. 2) The decoration itself cannot weigh more than 10 pounds. 3) The decoration cannot protect the robot or serve as a weapon. 4) The decoration cannot easily become a fouling hazard. 5) The decoration must be removable with simple tools in 5 minutes or less. 6) Prior to a match, any opposing Team has the right to require removal of the decoration. 7) BattleBots officials can require removal of the decoration at any time for any reason

Even more interesting is they have weight exclusions up to 500 lbs for non-wheeled robots, because they are trying to promote their use.
    Section 12. Non-Wheeled Robots BattleBots wants to encourage interesting alternative forms of bot mobility. Therefore, bots that move around without the use of wheels may be allowed an additional weight advantage. a. “Walker” Bots Bots that move around the Arena solely by walking (“Walkers”) are allowed an upper weight limit of 500.0 pounds. To be considered as a Walker, the bot has to move using only articulated legs. Specific requirements for a Walker are: • It uses 2 or more legs that move forward and backward and lift off the floor. • There are no additional wheels or skids that touch the floor, or that can support any part of the robot weight. • The walking motion is independent of, and cannot depend upon, the weapon operation. • The Walker meets all of the other bot design requirements (weapon, size, etc.). • A Walker cannot be part of a Multi-Bot combination. Regardless of the requirements specified above, it’s entirely up to the discretion of BattleBots to determine if a bot qualifies as a Walker. b. Alternative Mobility If your Team has a unique and interesting mobility design concept that is neither wheeled nor a Walker, BattleBots may -- on a case-by-case basis -- allow a maximum weight greater than 250 lbs., but less than 500 lbs. Contact BattleBots with a basic design proposal, and be able to defend why any additional weight above 250 lb. is warranted and will allow fair competition against wheeled and Walker bots. Approval of a basic design proposal does not relieve a Team of the “Pre-Approval and Acceptance” requirements below.

Donbadabon likes this.
  15. Dec 7, 2020 #15 of 141
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Makes sense. Alternative forms of locomotion typically require a lot more weight to actually do things. Walkers need to armor up the legs and joints or they'll be particularly vulnerable.

I can't think of many other forms of locomotion that one could use. Maybe a jumping bot? Rockets? Jumping might be a fun one if the bot can accurate jump onto another bot. 250lbs of robot landing on opt of another robot can do some serious damage.

16. Dec 7, 2020 #16 of 141
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The thing I found most interesting about this season (well the first episode) is that since they can't have fans, they made space for the other teams to watch, so you get the "crowd" experience. It's much better than piped in crowd noise (though I do suspect there's some of that as well). All in all a fun week and it was fun seeing Tombstone sent out of the playing surface :)

mattack likes this.
  17. Dec 7, 2020 #17 of 141
    eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I do hate it when someone gets stuck and allows the opponent an unimpeded shot. I would have preferred them to beat each other up a bit more.

jasrub likes this.
  18. Dec 7, 2020 #18 of 141
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I liked it mostly because Ray Billings is so smug that any time he gets his, it's a good thing in my book :)

19. Dec 7, 2020 #19 of 141
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    He plays up the "heel" so so well. I'm sure he's a super nice guy but just loves playing the villain

Jonathan_S and Steveknj like this.
  20. Dec 7, 2020 #20 of 141
    eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    That's my impression too.

edit: From a Reddit AMA

Jonathan_S and MikeMar like this.