Battlebots Is Back! for 2019

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by CraigK, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Jun 5, 2019 #1 of 29
    CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    My existing Season Pass found the Discovery Channel premier coming up on Friday even though it shows as S1 E22.

If I remember correctly, I had to babysit this show last year to make sure it recorded.

BattleBots.com

The 2019 season of BattleBots Premiers June 7th on Discovery and June 12th on Science Channel.

Great News BotFans! BattleBots is back! Our 2019 season will begin airing on Discovery Friday, June 7th and Science Channel Wednesday, June 12th (with extra footage!).

The new season will be two blocks of 8-episodes (16 total with a mid-season break). Each episode will be 2-HOURS LONG complete with incredible fights and amazing behind the scenes footage from the Pit (where the robots are repaired between battles).

Don’t miss the all new, Botastic, 2019 BattleBots!

2. Jun 5, 2019 #2 of 29
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Two hours? Are we getting that significantly more battles or just more behind the scenes footage and and up close and personals that I just fast forward through anyway?

3. Jun 7, 2019 #3 of 29
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Yes, Yes, and it felt like more commercials as well. 7 Fights in the airing on Discovery. I expect there will be 8 in the re-airing on Sci-fi.

(I've lost track, what are the spoiler rules for this thread?)

4. Jun 9, 2019 #4 of 29
    MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    Since it doesn't say spoilers, then it's whatever has aired. There is some discussion about trailers/coming attractions since it can be argued that they are not actually part of the episode being aired.

Had several good matches and some interesting new bots. Quantum looks to be interesting. They had to take the bots out in once piece and then remove the top armor of Blacksmith to get their tooth back.

But I'm most excited because I saw Huge during the B-roll pit footage while they were talking to Tombstone. It doesn't look much different so hopefully they spent the last year just upgrading the internals so it will be even more durable.

5. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm also looking forward to the return of Huge. It was a very interesting design and worked pretty well.

Though unless they've figured out how to make the giant wheels a lot more survivable against the best of the horizontal spinning weapons I don't think it's likely to go all the way even if it can keep from splitting itself in half; but it's still fun to see it fight. Presents a threat that many bots can't cope with.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
  7. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    And it seems Vex robotics is more than a sponsor - they're licensing the designs. I've seen the shelves of Battlebots stuff at the toy store (I'd say Toys R Us, since we still have them, but I don't know where people shop in the US).. Last year it wasn't much (just an arena, Rotator and one other) plus a bunch of HexBugs and other stuff. But I spotted a ton of toys this year related to Battlebots.

Not sure how well plastic replicas play compared to the real thing...

8. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    My airing on Science channel was 2 hours, but broken into 2 1 hour recordings, with the same description and series number. I wonder if I had not had it set to record Everything, if it would have picked up the second hour.

It contained one bonus fight, a three way rumble of 'smaller' bots.

9. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I am annoyed with how they are adding the extra hour before the main 2-hour episode on Discovery going forward. Rather than giving it a separate series ID (like "enhanced" and "social" spin-offs usually do), this is using the previous week's episode title and calling it "part 2". Ugh. More stuff to manually delete each week, but i suppose it could be worse. (I didn't think this was worth a post in the Season Pass alerts section)

worachj likes this.
  10. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It ended up with the win but...
    Duck got ducked UP!

jasrub and Jonathan_S like this.
  11. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I wonder if he was going to name it something else and his iPhone auto correct changed it to Duck. :p

12. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I watch the show but as little as possible, if that makes sense.

I fast-forward to each fight. No intros, no interviews, no behind-the-scenes. I typically don't even know who's fighting until it starts and the announcers start yelling. And after each fight is over, I don't really care who won. I just like to watch the fights.

I've watched every season it's been on, but I couldn't even tell you who was champion last time.

heySkippy likes this.
  13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's basically the tactic I take with The Voice nowadays -- I finally watched all eps I had.. I think I had almost 2 full seasons recorded.. and finally started JUST listening to the performances.. and I'd keep going if it was country or something else I didn't like (which was often). But a few songs an episode on average, I'd listen to fully.

I should probably take this same tactic with the American Idol and AGT *seasons* I have backed up. (Or maybe watch the full thing, including performances, at either quickmode or transfer and do it at 1.5-2x in VLC). I know it makes it sound like "work", but I do get enjoyment out of them when I finally watch them.. many of these shows just have so much fluff that I end up putting them off... but I don't really LIKE skipping past most of it.

14. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I mentioned it last season and it's still super annoying when they suddenly cut to the announcers' reaction on big hits. I also don't need cuts to the drivers during the actual battles, except for the woman in charge of the Witch Doctor team. She's kinda cute.

Minotaur is really disappointing this year.

Steveknj likes this.
  15. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I don't think that newer weapon did them any favors.

16. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Stupid question - is it me or does the voice "Green team ready" when referring to the blue team? I know when there are three teams, it's red, blue and green, but I just noticed that it's talking about green team when referring to blue.

And yeah, the 2 hour format isn't really that good. One hour show with 5 fights, and I think it's two hours now with just 3 more (8 fights total?). They just added a bunch of fluff to fill it up.

17. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I am OK with it, just FF through more stuff, but still get more fights.

18. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, it only takes a few minutes longer to watch a 2 hour show than the 1 hour version. More fights is good.

Steveknj likes this.
  19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The episode #s are weeeeird.. (I've not actually been watching it, heck, I think I only watched a few eps of the FIRST season of the revival..) Some eon I'll watch/skim through them. (and yes, I have actually done that with other shows in the past.. either sat on DVR or downloaded for years, then finally went through them.)