Batman:TBATB "Mitefall!" (Series Finale)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Nov 20, 2011.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I had heard that the show had been cancelled, but I didn't realize that this was actually the final episode. I never would have guessed they would end it on such a...um...obvious note.

That said, it was a great episode, and actually hit on exactly what the show meant to me--something that started off as kind of a joke, but turned into a well respected show with lots of positive elements. Truly a "love letter to Silver Age comics", as Batmite put it.

The sheer number of showbiz gags thrown into this episode was a blast, especially the Scrappy Doo variant and the re-casting of Ted McGinley (ie, the show killer) as Aquaman. But my favorite continuing joke was how people hate to see things thrown in just because the toy companies said so...I've always hated how most of the Batman figures at the toy store have never even shown up in a show or comic.

Utlimately The Brave and the Bold wound up being exactly what I wanted out of a Batman show...fun, self referencially campy, yet still respectful of the character. I'll miss it.

2. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I didn't realize the show was cancelled until the end of the episode. I had to go out and google it just to make sure.

It was a very interesting end to a show.

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    One of my favorite "candy" shows. Gonna miss it.

4. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I agree 100% with everything you said, Doom.

I literally SOL'd (snorted out loud) when Batmite first mentioned McGinley and when I heard Henry Winkler's voice as Ambush Bug after all the talk of "jumping the shark", that was just icing on the cake.

Some good thought definitely went into this finale.

5. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I had no idea this show was ending either. Having Lincoln kick John Wilkes Booth's keister was a great opening. :up:

6. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    My Tivo didn't get that one. Probably bumped by a higher priority show. I thought the series was corny, but worth watching for laughs.

7. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Just watched it again with the family. With my wife being a huge Scooby Doo fan, I nearly fell off the couch when the Scrappy joke came up.

But I wanted to mention something different. Dini really knows how to write this character, and he also knows how to anchor corny in drama. When Batmite gave Batman guns, it felt like someone kicked me in the gut. With all the silliness in the episode, that single thing pulled it back in and showed that, even in TBATB, there are places that even this show would never go. A lesser writer would have just left things corny at the end (after all, they did deflate and cart away the Batcave set), but Dini pulled the show back to where it should be, letting it go out on, while probably not a "serious" note, a respectful one.