Bates Motel - Season 4 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by getreal, May 7, 2016.

1. May 7, 2016 #1 of 17
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    This season of Bates Motel has stepped up Norman's crazy quotient and he is now an ominous threat to his mother and she can sense it, but her own crazy quotient prevents her from actually recognizing the glaring threat beyond a relatively mild notion that he is "a bit off".

Love Freddie Highmore's acting chops as Norman as well as Vera Farmiga as Norma. :up::up:

All the subplots take a distant backseat to the Norman-Norma drama, but I am liking the hook-up between Sheriff Romero and Norma, as well as Norman's disapproval of the entire affair.

2. May 7, 2016 #2 of 17
    2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I was just wondering the other day why I hadn't seen a thread on BM.

My wife and I watch it. This season is pretty good and I agree about the acting.

Norman was pretty driven on the last episode when he told Romero that he wasn't needed anymore and there would be a divorce.

Did I read somewhere that this season (or maybe next) was the last?

3. May 8, 2016 #3 of 17
    David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I'm really enjoying this season. I haven't heard anything about the series wrapping up soon, but as far down the path as they've gotten Norman and his psychosis, I can't imagine they'd get more than another season out of it. He's almost where he needs to be to match his crazy in the movie.

4. May 8, 2016 #4 of 17
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    This is one of the shows I watch first. Seasons 3 & 4 have been great. The first two were a little too "high school issues" for me, but the series has really taken off as we see the development of troubled Norman.

I remember hearing they planned to wrap it up next year.

5. May 8, 2016 #5 of 17
    nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Vera Farmiga is an amazing, amazing actress.

I really love this show - and her performance is a big reason why.

6. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Holy crap! Is Norma going to be revived? Will she walk and breathe once again in the flesh? Or will she now be reincarnated only through Norman?

That whole "Mr. Sandman" song/scene was eerie and haunting and very well done!

7. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Yeah that was pretty shocking! And Freddy Highmore is soooo good in this!

Was there an explanation in the movie of how his mom died?

8. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    It's been years since I've seen it, but I don't believe there was an explanation. I'm going to be amazed if she's really gone this early in the show. They have a whole season left.

9. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    But the idea that she is part of the show through Norman is intriguing and fits the movie. I was thinking for a few weeks where do they go from here? This gives the writers a chance to explore something new.

10. BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    But its only 10 episodes, not a full season at all by standard definitions (22 to 26), more like less than half a normal season left.

11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I also hadn't seen the movie for ages. By some bizarre coincidence, I ran across the second half of the 'Psycho' movie this morning.

The explanation was that the mother and her 'male companion' were found in bed, having been poisoned, and it was taken as a murder/suicide deal. It was stated that they thought she poisoned her lover and then she took the poison, herself.

As to the show - I agree that Highmore and Farmiga are so amazing in this show. I could not imagine better casting OR better acting. I hope she's not gone.

Is it true that there will only be one more season?

12. shelly40

shelly40 Active Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Wake Forest
    I think she is gone as a living person......

But I am sure we will still see her in Normans mind.......

Shelly

13. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Wow no chatter about the finale last night. Definitely well done and very creepy. I couldn't get Norma out of my head. Its could have been the series finale.

I am wondering how next year will play out!

14. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Just caught the last episode. I found myself laughing when Romero punched out Norman at the funeral. And that on-again-off-again wedding ring ... poor frustrated angry Romero!
    Also when the creepy guy barged in with the casserole while Mother just had her eyes done! LOL!
    Yes, this could have been the series finale, but it will be interesting to see a final season of "Bates Motel - The Walking Dead".

I was thinking throughout that Dylan should have been planning the funeral, but I suppose by his phone call at the end that he is somehow not even aware that his mother will not be calling him for awhile for a legitimate reason!

15. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I just finished watching the finale of season 4 and, echoing the comments above, I've been loving the acting on this show. I would have been very satisfied if this had been the series finale - I had to go online to see whether it was or not. I'm equally glad to know that there are another ten episodes on the way.

Now I need to watch Psycho. It's one of those movies that I feel like I've seen because it is such a part of the cultural zeitgeist but I've never actually watched it. Time to remedy that, I think.

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just caught up and I'm guessing that Norman doesn't realize that he killed his mother (because the "Norma" personality did).

I'm also guessing that Chick will be showing up next season and so will Molly Price's investigator.

Romero? I don't know. It's a pretty weak charge that they are holding him on.

I'd also think that the doctor will be checking up on Norman.
    (But then I think it's unlikely that he would have released a recently diagnosed DPD patient that soon.)

17. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    Bump...

FYI,

Season 5 begins tonight.

gossamer88 likes this.