Bates Motel - Season 3 (Spoilers up to current show)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by 2004raptor, Mar 18, 2015.

1. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA

Advertisements

Anyone watching or just not enough interest for threads???

My wife and I liked the first two seasons enough to stick with it. But going into season three we realized we couldn't really recall how the last season left off. It seems like they took an unusually long break in between. Oh well.

So, was the body floating in the lake supposed to be the porche driver (I forget her name)? They kept showing commercials for another show that airs right after (The Return??) and our recording cut off so I couldn't tell if that scene was part of BM or the other show.

Norman is one messed up kid. It was weird that he seemed into Emma but when they were talking on their date, I had moments where I thought he was going into his weird state and maybe killing her. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the body represented the lady who was in Room #4.

I think with Emma Norman is just trying to be normal.

I'm still enjoying the show. These two actors, especially, are so good. The young man who plays Norman is British. I'm always amazed and impressed at how well Brit actors do American accents!

3. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Still watching, and enjoying. I'm really ready to see a flat out Psycho moment though. +1 for an actual shower scene.

My wife and I couldn't remember how last season ended either. We watched the recaps and remembered most of it but couldn't recall the lie detector scene at all...which seemed like a very important chunk of info. Perhaps we both fell asleep or something, dunno.

I guess we're supposed to think that is her body in the lake and that Norman killed her but have come to never expect much from teasers so for now will pretend I didn't see it. A female was previously found in what appears to be the same lake, no?

4. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I haven't watched this show, but the promos make it look like the kid is having a thing with his mother. Is that right?

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

It would help if the show title were spelled correctly so that people can find it.

6. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Not really. He sleeps in her bed and they are unusually close for a mother-son, but they haven't done anything.

I think she is very jealous anytime that he shows an interest in any other woman.

When it is pointed out to her that it is not natural that they sleep in the same bed, she reacts like it never occured to her that it is wrong, and she initially tries to stop it.

7. 2004raptor

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Weird. I corrected it shortly after i made the thread but it seems to have resorted back??

8. 2004raptor

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Still watching.

I watched the 4/13 show last night. Really good episode. I was confused when Norma drove to Portland and went to the bar, etc. and then all of a sudden was back in (can't recall the name of the town) and called the psychiatrist guy. Seemed a little off but not that bad.
    Also, when the sheriff took revenge on the guy that was trying to take over his job. :eek: That was pretty bad@$$ but a little hard to believe.

Is there now a "thing" between Emma and Dylan? That seemed out of the blue.

And norman dressing up as Norma. Weird but I've never seen the original pyscho movie. Was he even wearing make up?

9. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    My wife has really enjoyed this show until the last episode. The depiction of a live bird being disected turned her off completely (not that I cared for it either) and we've canceled the SP.

10. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Seriously? Please tell me that at least one of these are true:
    You are under 30
    Never taken a college level film class
    Not a U.S. citizen
    Have you seen any Alfred Hitchcock films? If not, you are in for a treat and I'm almost jealous.

11. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    That bothered me also. I still get misty when I remember dissecting a frog 40 years ago!

12. 2004raptor

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I am over 30, never taken a college film class, I am a US citizen and I've never (that I know of) seen any Hitchcock movies. I don't know if that's good or bad.

13. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    After Psycho, see these:
    The Birds
    North By Northwest
    Rear Window
    The Man Who Knew Too Much
    If you don't mind black & white, checkout the ones he made in the 40s. As I said, you are in for a treat.

14. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    Since this show started, I've thought that the writers wouldn't be able to continue to come up with interesting storylines over the long term. While some things have been a bit convoluted, it continues to be one of my favorite shows, due to the good writing and acting. I find Vera Farmiga's over-the-top portrayal of Norma to be hilarious.

The latest episode, "Norma Louise," was kind of a mixed bag for me. The scenes of Norma in Portland seemed of out of place. She got there, went shopping, sold her car, got a hotel room, got drunk, and then got back to White Pine Bay in the span of just a few hours, all the time acting crazy, but not really that crazy, at the same time.

Norman in the dress was priceless, though. Another highlight was the sheriff in his hospital gown ambushing wanna-be sheriff in the parking lot.

15. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    What was wrong with the episode thread? :confused:

16. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Nothing. Personally having just binged on the last 3 or 4 the season thread makes more sense to me, not that I had anything to do with either thread. Sometimes this show takes a few eps to really figure out anything at all and stop following the red herrings...which this show has plenty of.

I was kinda happy I was correct about the lake body but she died anyway just in a different way. That must be connected. DLiquid, I agree but I think they used her excursion as a way to finally get Noman to do his Norma thing. I don't think it would have worked with Norma around. They could have done a better job with that, however.

Clearly the bird scene couldn't be real IRL. And in the show I think Norman was hallucinating lots of stuff including the dog (its been dead how long??), and of course being Norma.

I think the Sheriff is just doing whatever he thinks he has to do to survive. It was pretty weirdly out of place though. But hey, ask yourself if you wouldn't have wanted to kill that guy yourself after what he just did and told you? Doesn't seem physically possible but hey, TV.

I don't recall Norman every wearing Norma's makeup but he wore, uh, man you don't want to know. I don't think there is a thing with Emma and Dylan that I can tell. It seemed he just wanted to help her and the writers want us to think Norman will discover this and take it for something its not. Dylan does have to die sooner or later I would think. Probably Emma too I just hope nature takes its course with her.

I think the ending was spectacular and I swear if Norman doesn't kill his uncle or SOMEBODY I may give up even though I love the show. I can't handle all the misdirection. The look on his face was too evil not to use it. I know he's just and actor but that gave me the creeps. I could hear Slayer's "Dead Skin Mask" playing in my head as the show ended.

17. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    So S3:E8 'The Pit' not sure what to make of that ending.

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    At least Andy didn't fall into it.

The ending means that Norman's Season 1 obsession, Bradley, is back in town.
    What it means for the show has yet to been seen.

I'm not thrilled that they broke up Emma and Norman like that but I suppose it was necessary.

19. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I'm not thrilled about the breakup either and I know I've been wanting to see a real "Psycho" moment but please don't let it be Emma.

I wonder, since Norman was clearly hallucinating at the end if Bradley was actually there?

20. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I tend to think that she really was there, especially since she's now a brunette.
    I don't see Norman hallucinating her with dyed hair.