1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baskets

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by efilippi, Jan 22, 2016.

1. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I am an old guy and certainly not the demographic for this show. And true to form, I did not like it.

There is an extended review on the daily beast that seems to agree it isn't very good but also may be the best thing on tv. Or something like that.

Everyone likes to root for the underdog nerd, but this guy Baskets doesn't get my empathy going. Perhaps that's the idea?

I haven't deleted my Onepass but I fear that this, for me, is a show I might watch but only as a last resort.

Sort of like the Billy Crystal show of last year. Though I kind of liked that one.

2. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Louis CK is a creator and executive producer on the show and I see some of that same downtrodden man humor you see in Louis. Another comparable that comes to mind is the movie The Jerk. I'll still give it a little more chance but my problem with it is the rest of the cast doesn't seem to be that funny or entertaining and I don't think Zach can carry a whole show by himself. It needs a better ensemble.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I didn't watch, mostly because the promos I saw during the most recent season of Fargo were insufferable and made me have active disdain for the show. I can't remember what it was specifically, but after seeing a couple of promos, I wanted this show to fail.

4. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    My wife and I watched the first episode tonight. We really liked it. I can understand how some people wouldn't like it though. Zack's sense of humor is not for everybody.

5. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I enjoyed it. It does have sort of a Louis C.K. kind of fatalist vibe to it. But for a pilot, I thought it was OK.

6. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I'm an old guy and I enjoyed it a lot. I like comedies that require a little effort from the viewer and don't rely on a laugh track or studio audience, although this is probably more of a dramedy than a comedy. It has Louis CK's fingerprints all over it and Louis is definitely one of those love 'em or hate 'em with no in-between.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Another old guy that also enjoyed it a lot. I'm not familiar with Louis CK, so can't vouch for his influence, but it certainly kept me interested the whole time.

8. Feb 5, 2016 #8 of 31
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Last night's episode was great - the best of the season so far. The funniest part was all the social commentary about 4K television.

9. 7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    I just wanted to chime in to say that this show is flat out awesome.

The humor beats are dead on (Zach G has this style down pat, at this point) and why is no one talking about funny Louie Anderson is? Holy crap, I've gained a whole new appreciation for him, that's for sure.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    No one? The comments here and everywhere else have raved about Anderson's performance.

11. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    My GF and I are loving this show. Hoping FX has the stones to renew despite low ratings.

12. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I think it's hilarious. But Galifianakis is an acquired taste.

13. 7thton

Mar 3, 2005
    Guess I just didn't see them but I'm glad others have taken note!

14. R1elvis

R1elvis Member

May 16, 2014
    Horrible. SP Cancelled.

15. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    :up:

Different strokes, and all that.

16. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Finally caught up on this last night. Really enjoying it.

I'm shocked at how natural Louie Anderson is in this role. I'd like to know how his casting came about. It's not a stunt at all.

17. 7thton

Mar 3, 2005
    Galifianakis was just on Marc Maron's podcast and talked about that.

He (Galifianakis) said that they wanted a different actress for the role, but due to a scheduling conflict they couldn't get her. So, Galifianakis and Louie CK were watching a bunch of audition tapes from other actresses and Galifianakis wasn't happy with any of them. Louie asked him why he wasn't happy with any of the other possibilities and Galifianakis said that they didn't have the right voice. Louie asked what he meant and Galifianakis said that the actress should sound "like Louie Anderson." So Louie CK says "should we call Louie?"

They proceeded to call Anderson and he immediately agreed to the role.

18. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    That is awesome. Thanks for posting. :)

I've loved Louie since I was a kid, so I know that helps, but I still think it is brilliant casting. I'd love to know who they wanted originally but couldn't get.

19. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    FX announced today that Baskets has been renewed for a second season.

20. 7thton

Mar 3, 2005
    Galifianakis said the name of there actress on the show, but I don't remember who it was.

You could listen here:

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_674_-_cintra_wilson_zach_galifianakis