Basic tivo explanation?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by linear7, Apr 25, 2011.

1. linear7

linear7 New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Does tivo work like cell phone service basically? ie: you buy the phone (tivo box) but to make it work, you have to buy the service also no choice?

thx

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Yes. But you can also buy a Lifetime (of the box) subscription as an upfront cost, eliminating the recurring monthly fee.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Not quite. the cell phone model. It is more accurately a computer or software package you pay an ongoing or one time license to use, or you get a computer/software that doesn't do much.

But generally, the sales scheme is more cell-phone ish.

4. linear7

linear7 New Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Thx. I generally don't watch much tv, but I would like to start recording a few shows that come on at odd times so I can watch when I want. Trying to decide between tivo and a unit from the cable co. I doubt I will pay extra for hd tv but haven't decided that yet either.

5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just a few things to consider when deciding between a Tivo and cable co DVR...Although Tivo has a higher up front cost, if you intend to keep the DVR for the long term, a Tivo with Lifetime may be cheaper depending on the price you pay and the cost of the cable co DVR. There is also the possibility of more storage space and the ability to transfer shows from a Tivo to your PC for archiving that aren't available otherwise.

Since you are not really interested in HD, you may want to see about getting an older model Tivo, maybe a Series 2. They can be found on Ebay with Lifetime for less than $100. Depending on your cable provider, DVR costs can be around $15/month. You can do the math.

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    For just a few shows you might want to consider Over the air HD for free. Besides TiVo, there are several other DVRs for OTA HD TV. HD is also basically free (no extra cost due to "free HD for life" offers) at Dish Network these days. Also Dish charges a reasonable $6/mo for the DVR with nothing upfront on most models.

7. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    If you have broadband internet access and the shows that you like are available on the internet, maybe downloading them to your computer (or TV if it is new enough) would make more sense? And just using a Digital TV(or regular analog TV with a converter box) to watch local Broadcast antenna TV in real time?
    But beware that trying to get Antenna TV can be trying sometimes. It seems that the signals fade in and out. Not like you can get one channel all the time. I don't know what the problem is, but my 'significant other' is going to well on me if I don't figure something out so she can get Oprah and Desperate Housewives 100 % of the time!
    She and I use Series 2 Tivos with lifetime and other than the signal problems, love them. They are very reliable and rarely have problems. Much better than a ReplayTv that I have. We don't have broadband.