Basic Roamio: Ethernet out ok, Ethernet in bad.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by JoeKustra, Jan 11, 2019.

1. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I need to create a thread in case it helps (or at least informs) someone with my problem. I have three Roamio units. Two are on cable, one is OTA but has no channels within range. The sick Roamio can record from cable and content can be transferred or viewed on other TiVo or Mini units. It has been doing that for a while. But (as of last month) it can not accept content over Ethernet or WiFi from the other Roamio units. To clarify: it is running TE3 while one other is TE3 and one is TE4. The error has no number, just that there is a connection problem. It is wired into my router, but still fails when changed to WiFi. It has a 3TB drive that has never filled up. Built 30 March 2015 and activated 11/25/15. (BF). Other units are from BF in 2014 and 2017. All run 24/7 and have no heat issues. No MoCA. Other units are connecting with wireless bridges. Content transfer, etc., via Online work fine except for the error in the thread title.

Open to suggestions or guess work. Looking for a Roamio with All-In but there's no panic. I have a spare from 2013, but I'm guessing (?) that a MB swap could lose the All-In on the bad unit and all content on the hard drive. Thanks.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Did you try unplugging it and leaving it unplugged for several minutes?

A while back I'd run in to a TiVo that I couldn't get any sound output. Rebooting the TiVo didn't solve it. I finally unplugged it for a bit and that did solve the problem.

Try switching ports on your Network Switch?

Try switching Ethernet Cables?

Does it have Netflix? Run the Netflix Speed Test? How'd that turn out?

-KP

3. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    When you moved the sick to the healthy's location (ie switched them), what happened ?

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Moved bad Roamio to same switch with a good Roamio - no change.
    Switched ports. Ran unit with wireless bridge - no change.
    Used new cables with above.
    No issues with any service. No issue with it being source of programs watched on Mini or other Roamio.

I spent four days trying many tests. It is very rare that I send (store) programs on this unit, so the exact time of failure could be longer that I estimated. Its main function is recording Jimmy Kimmy Live. It also is saving three current TV series for watching during the summer dead time. If the Ethernet output should fail, I will move the cable card to my TE4 Roamio and let it do the work. But that will leave me with a Mini problem when my sister visits since this Roamio is the host for her lineup.

5. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Aren't there settings at your account at Tivo.com that affect transfers ? How about turning the transfers settings off for a couple of days and then later reenabling them ?

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The failure happens between one and five minutes. The History folder lists the error as "Not Transferred". Unchecking the transfer box will remove the option on the TiVo.

jth tv likes this.
  7. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    You didn't specify your Netflix Network Test results...it could indicate a Software or Hardware problem..Maybe a C&DE could fix it?

But then, you'd have to run KMTTG to back everything up! The Horror!

-KP

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't have a Netflix account. When transferring from the Roamio I get the normal 93Mbps using pyTiVo or just using another TiVo. Using its built in wireless I get the usual crappy 60Mbps. When I attempt to get a file, I can watch the blue LED and the activity LED on my router. Both stop after about 15 seconds. It records perfectly.

This is not a crisis. I do wish I had access to allow storage from other TiVo units, but I will keep an eye open for a sale. I was looking at the activation dates for my units, and all are within the BF range starting in 2014.

9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Pop in a new hard drive and see what happens as a 'new' device?

-KP

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Thanks you for the suggestion. I will try that, but not at this time. I probably have 6 or 7 drives sitting in boxes.

kpeters59 likes this.