Basic questions about directv without a phone line

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by clevereuphemism, Sep 23, 2007.

1. clevereuphemism

clevereuphemism New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    I made the mistake of switching to Comcast Digital cable over a year ago (BIG mistake), and now I want to switch back to Directv.
    I had Directv before that with a Directv Tivo that I bought at Best Buy (either Philips or Hughes-can't remember). I still have it, even though the Comcast guy tried to walk off with it and I spent 10 minutes explaining to him that I bought it and he couldn't take it away with him anymore than he could walk out the door with my computer.
    Anyway...
    I know that if I go back to Directv I'll get a free DVR with my new cable package.
    The big question that I have is this: I no longer have a land line to connect to the DVR. I know I don't need it to run Directv (I do use PPV all the time, but my understanding is that I can just order PPV on the internet).
    Do I need a land line when I have Directv installed? Can I use my old Tivo? Should I use the new one?
    I just had a new jack put in with a splitter that I can use for either cable or an internet connection, if that makes any difference.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The non-TiVo DirecTV recorders don't need a phone line at all. Yes you can order PPV from the website. The TiVo models of DirecTV receiver systems require a phone line for the initial setup but not afterwards.

3. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Welcome to the Forum :D Wow a number of questions.

Wow someone who dislikes Cable and prefers Directv :D What a pleasant change.

If the Comcast guy walks out with your Directv/Tivo unit, let him. Then call the Police for it is Theft!!!

Yes you will get a Free DVR (The R15). You do not need a Phoneline to use Directv. You can order PPV online. As you have already said. But remember you will get the nag messages, just delete them :D

BUT: You do need a Landline I believe for the inital setup. This only needs to be done ONE time. You could possible use your Neighbours? Friends? It does not need to be from your own Home.

Of course you can use your Old Tivo. As long as it still works :D

Why not get the Free DVR (R15) which costs $0.00 a Month (First unit Free) and of course depending on the package (Directv DVR Service) you will either pay an amount each Month for DVR Service OR it will be included in the Base package Price. The Second unit (Directv/Tivo) will cost you an additional $4.99 a Month Fee. thats all.

Now the Cable/Splitter issue: You cannot use Splitters with Directv. You must currently use a Multiswitch for all TV Watching. I do not believe you could split a Cable for Sat and internet either. BUT I may be wrong here.

I beleive the Internet Cable (Broadband) would need to be seperate from the TV Cable. Does anyone have a setup like this that could answer?

Hope this helps somewhat. :D

4. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Are you sure about this? The Directv units (Non Tivo) need a phoneline for intial setup. After that they do not.

Of course any Home Phone line in the City also works :D

5. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I'm 98% sure. I know that my HR20 doesn't. There is no nag screen.

6. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    If you use Instantcake from DVRupgrade along with PTVnet you do not need the phoneline and you can use the internet these are setup options. You do need a USB to Ethernet adaptor. Details are on the WEBsite WWW. DVRupgrade.com. Excellent people with a good product. I am in no way affiliated with DVRupgrade, Just a happy user.

7. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    With the DirecTV TiVo you cannot use the Internet for setup, even if you have enabled an ethernet adapter.

8. clevereuphemism

clevereuphemism New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    So do I understand correctly that if I get the freebie DVR from Directv I don't need to connect to a landline at all -- even to intially set it up?

9. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    That is correct.

10. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    No incorrect. The freebie from Directv is the R15 DVR unit, which does have the nag screen.

Now if you are getting the Freebie HD Unit, the HR20 and according to Stevel then no you do not need a phoneline for intial setup.

Now the Directv/Tivo unit should not need setting up, as it has been done before. I know mine does not need a phoneline.

But you get the nag message also on that. Also, you will need to hack that unit to use the Internet with it, or any Home Network for that matter.

11. gilliane

gilliane New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    If you don't need a land line connected, would that mean, for example, if I go to visit my daugher, who has Directivo in another city, that I could take one of my Tivos with me, hook it up to her system and watch my locals instead of hers while I'm there?

12. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Most of the locals are on spotbeams and do not cover the whole country. Only New York and Los Angeles locals are broadcast nationally. With a spotbeam they can reuse the same transponder frequencies in different parts of the country. If you go to your daughter place and she is in the same spotbeam then you could get your locals. Locals are not tied to the phone line anyway.

13. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Would depend if your locals are on a spot beam or not, and, if you are within that beam to get them at your daughters.

14. gilliane

gilliane New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    I get the NYC locals, so it sounds like it should be OK. Maybe I'll give it a try next time I visit. Thanks.

15. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    An example could be:

Channel 19 in Indiana and Channel 19 in NY.

Both use the same Channel (19) but broadcast entirely different Programs.

The only way you could still watch your Program and your Shows from your Daughters would be if She received the same Local Channel with the same programming.

16. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The locals are authorized by access card. Even if you can receive locals from another market from a spot beam, if you are not authorized to receive them, you won't.

17. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Not quite. You are assuming that channel 19 in Indiana is mapped to the same transponder in NY which it would most likely not. The transponder mapping depends on the "service address" of the TiVo and is downloaded from the 101 satellite when you boot.

18. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Where does this mis-information come from? I have DTiVos and an R15 with no phone line. I get nag screens on the DTiVos but the R15 is nag free.

DTV even says, if you ask, that the phone line is not required and during setup/activation for the R15 I was never asked about the phone line. But I was asked when I added a DTiVo.

Also s temporary connection through a computer using PPP over serial works for all DTiVo setups in place of the phone line.

19. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    None of the DirecTV software boxes require a phone line for setup nor do any of them have nag screens for the phone line. Only the TiVo boxes do that.

20. t-readyroc

t-readyroc New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    MD, USA
    Will this method work for a S2.5 R10 as well, then?