Basic Noob Question...sorry in advance!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by randymac88, Aug 14, 2007.

1. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004

Advertisements

So, I'm not really a noob in that I had an old series 1 box years ago, but just re-entered the TiVo world with the TiVoHD after abut 3 years on the crappy TWC DVR. Anyway, my first time with two tuners.

So, I'm watching the Mets game (live, but on a buffer). I get a notice that Tivo has to change the channels to record something on a Season Pass. My only options are 1) change the channel or 2) cancel the recording.

Well, quite frankly, I don't want to do either! What's going on with Tuner 2? It's recording a TiVo recommendation.

So I reluctantly push "change channel", it changes, I go to tuner 2, turn it back to the Mets, and the buffer is now gone, along with about 3 innings.

Am I missing something? Wouldn't this be a fairly easy software solution to be able to cancel a recording on either tuner in favor of the channel that I have selected to watch?

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, or if its been asked many times before. This community's input has been invaluable!

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Unfortunately the poor TiVo does not know that you are watching Live TV, others on this form may have a work around like starting your watching on tuner 2 or push the record button on Live TV when you see the message.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What do you mean "turn it back to the mets"? You have to CHANGE TUNERS BACK.

i.e. hit live TV again.

Plus, if you try to manually change channels, it will switch to the other tuner usually.. i.e. this sounds almost contradictory to your experience.. But if for example you have channel 5 on tuner #1, and you switch to tuner #2 and go to channel 2.. then channel up a few times, when you get to channel 5, it will switch you to tuner #1.

The rule applies -- why watch something in the buffer and not just hit record?
    (About the only time I watch something in the buffer is if it's something like CNN and I don't really care if it's lost.. or if I'm REALLY low on disk space and recording ANYTHING will cause something to be deleted.)

4. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Actually, no, it's not just switching back to the other tuner. Because the tuner I was watching the Mets on (tuner 1) switched to record another season pass program. So, I had to switch to the other tuner (tuner 2), and then change that tuner to the Mets game.

Because I had been watching live, hit pause to run downstairs to the convenience store, and then had a buffer. I didn't expect to be forced to change channels by the TiVo, essentially because it decided I would like to watch Bobby Flay's Kitchen someday (which I don't want to watch). I think that the fact is, these things happen, and it doesn't seem like a very difficult or complex capability to be able to cancel the recording on either Tuner 1 or Tuner 2 in order to keep watching what you're watching. The SA 8300HD I have in the bedroom has been doing it since day 1...just surprising, that's all.

5. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.

Advertisements

If you would hit the info key while watching the mets game then hit the down arrow on the remote highlighting the switch turner icon I believe there is an option to stop the recording. Or pause the mets game hit the TiVo button go to Find programs then To Do list and cancel the unwanted recording. When you return to live tv it will still be paused.

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Your SA 8300 didn't have suggestions, so there was no problem unless you had scheduled another recording.

Your only safe solution is to either (1) turn off suggestions, or (2) hit the record button when you are watching "live" TV with an accumulated buffer.

Actually I don't see any downside to just hitting the Record button, especially if you are running out to 7-11. Otherwise, you may get that channel change message while you're gone and it will automatically change channels if you don't respond.

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The tuner you were watching changed channels to record something, so that channel change removed your buffer of the game. You switched to the other tuner and changed channels to the Mets game. The buffer starts all over again when you change the channel so you can't expect the buffer on the first tuner that has already been deleted to magically appear on the other tuner.

A similar situation came up on my DT last week and here's what I did because understand how tivo works - I chose cancel the recording on tuner 1, pressed pause and then rescheduled the recording on another tivo and retuned to the DT and pressed play to continue watching whatever I had been watching.

If I didn't have another tivo I would have pressed pause, changed tuners, canceled the current tuner 2 recording (Mythbusters) because I knew I could probably just record it later if I really wanted it, scheduled the recording that I just canceled on tuner 1 to record on tuner 2, changed back to tuner 1 and pressed play.

Tivo can only do what it's told to do, so I had to give it new instructions rather than (wrongly) assume it will automagically do what I want.

8. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    I hear you Mick. I understand how the buffer works...I guess maybe I should have posted this in the Tivo Suggestions thread and not here. All I'm really saying is, rather than go through all of the steps you list above to stop a recording (in this case it was a Suggestion, to make matters worse), wouldn't it be nice if TiVo had the following options?

-------
    At 9pm, the TiVo recorder will need to change the channel to record "Bobby Flay's Kitchen".

*) (Change the channel and record the previously scheduled recording)
    *) (Stay on this channel and cancel "Bobby Flay's Kitchen" on Tuner 1)
    *) (Stay on this channel and cancel "Big Brother 8" on Tuner 2)

Or something like that...I'm sure TiVo could word it much better than me. Doesn't seem that complicated (although what do I know). As i mentioned above, this is one of the more useful and surprisingly good features on the SA8300. You just never know when you're going to come across something that you want to watch. Particularly helpful for live sporting events that run over.

9. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    TiVo does seem to be surprisingly reluctant to offer three choice prompts. This would be a good place for them (I've wanted this option before).

And there's a thread over in suggestions asking for a third choice when you cancel a recording, so you could choose to cancel and delete in a single step.

There are probably a few other places where three way choices would be useful.

10. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Yes, Randy, it's a great idea!

I still have my 8300HD working with my DT and, at this point, I simply don't look at anything on the SA8300. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with TiVo this time, but am weighing my choices carefully.

I've been on the 8300 for a few years, and have found it quite tolerable. But its limitations drove me back to TiVo!

Nevertheless, there are many things I am accustomed to and now wish TiVo would do (like play the show I'm watching while I'm scheduling or editing shows, and cancel and save or delete) among other things).

But the search, seasons pass, and wish list is incomparable, and I think I weigh them high in value.

Regards and great suggestion.

11. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    This still wouldn't help if you were at the convience store at 8:58 p.m. Tivo wouldn't get a response and wuld just change channels to start the new recording. Only safe thing is to hit the Record button before leaving.

12. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I echo the previous responses about watching Live TV--one could only wish that the TiVo could read our minds and know that we're watching Live TV and to use the other tuner for scheduled recordings, but occassionally this happens. I always hit "record" on shows I want to watch live (such as sporting events) to avoid this complication.