Barry - Season 2 - *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ScubaCat, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Apr 7, 2019 #1 of 20
    ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Season 2 is underway and I'm still enjoying this show very much (except for the gory parts). Will Barry ever be able to extricate himself from his life as a hitman?

2. Apr 7, 2019 #2 of 20
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Barry’s probably going to be even more in than he was before. Noho Hank essentially made him his b**ch, threatening his acting world and friends.

I think Noho Hank is still my favorite character even though he got real dark at the end. “Everyone is laughing and there is a knife in her hand.”

3. Apr 7, 2019 #3 of 20
    sfenton

sfenton Active Member TCF Club

Feb 8, 2004
    Acworth Ga
    HBO is screwed up tonight in my guide. It says the "The Nun" ends at 10:31 instead of at 10 as HBO's schedule says. So Barry , Veep and Last Week Tonight are all off. My Guide also says Last Week Tonight will be and hour and a half.

4. Apr 8, 2019 #4 of 20
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think everything went off without a hitch for me. At least Last Week Tonight did. I haven't gotten to Barry yet. After the first episode, I still feel as I did last year. I like the show, but I "want" to like it more. It's not really "funny" as much as it is amusing. I want it to be funny. It's just not "all that".

5. Apr 8, 2019 #5 of 20
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think it's really supposed to be funny. Sure, it will have jokes and moments that will make you laugh, but I certainly wouldn't consider the show to be a comedy.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  6. Apr 8, 2019 #6 of 20
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Then what is it? It's not a serious show. Is it a drama? HBO calls it a comedy, so did the Emmys. It's two writers are comedy writers, and Bill Hader does comedy.

7. Apr 8, 2019 #7 of 20
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think it falls more into the Arrested Development mode of not outright comedy, but rather ironic observation. In both cases, there aren't jokes per se. Comedy played straight? Deadpan sitcom?

The difference being Barry drifts even further from the sitcom mainstream than AD ever did.

8. Apr 8, 2019 #8 of 20
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Oh, and AD was funnier :)

I agree with your description. Ironic observation fits this perfectly. A lot of modern comedies fit this. Maybe it's just what's popular these days. I just finished Russian Doll on Netflix and it also falls into this same category. i also think it fits into the whole "dark" aspect that a lot of TV and movies fall into, that everyone seems to like. I tend to like my comedies to be funny though. But it's interesting enough to keep me watching.

9. Apr 8, 2019 #9 of 20
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm the opposite...I'm not a big fan of traditional sitcoms (that's ironic understatement, by the way). I only watched Big Bang Theory as long as I did out of geek solidarity, and frankly lost a lost of respect for myself because I didn't bail much sooner. And that's probably the only traditional sitcom I've watched in my increasingly lengthy adulthood (nothing else comes to mind, anyway).

Non-sitcom-y shows like AD, Better Off Ted, and Barry are much more my thing.

10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I really like AD and Better of Ted, I think they were still funny without trying so hard to be ironic. AD especially had some laugh out loud moments and sight gags that were more traditional. Better of Ted, had some seriously goofy characters (and if you liked BOT, give Corporate a watch on Comedy Central. It's in a similar vein. Barry, I'm really not sure what they are trying to be. As you said upstream, is it trying to be a drama with comedic elements? Is it trying to be a comedy? I'm not sure it succeeds that well at either. And it has one of my pet peeves, especially for a comedy. it's pretentious, filled with typical into themselves Hollywood types. I watched S2E2 last night, and I think I might have smirked once during the whole episode. I'm not really sure why I keep watching. I think it's because the last couple of episodes last season were pretty good, so I'm still hopeful.

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The Emmys classified it as a comedy because of its run time. And as you said, it's written by people who are traditionally involved in comedies. I think when they came up with the idea for the show, the intent was for it to be a dark comedy. But I think as they've produced the show, the reality has been that it's basically a dark drama with the occasional comedic element. In the first two episodes of this new season, there has been very little that was traditionally funny. NoHo Hank wearing a wig and thinking he had to tell Barry who he was, and the unintentionally insensitive comments from the female cop about her partner's divorce are about the only things I can think of. A few of the things done by the actors in the class, acting out the trauma in the class members' lives, were absurd and probably intended to be somewhat funny, but I found it mostly just a comment on the ridiculous earnestness of some artistic people. Overall, the show is dealing with some very dark and serious dramatic themes and not livening it up with much comedy at all.

12. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    Watched S2E1 and they definitely seem to be going for a different vibe. Hader‘s flatness throughout season 1 really bored me.

13. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Oakland, CA
    This is the best show on TV hands down.
    Loved last night's episode.

DevdogAZ likes this.
  14. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Have you checked out 'Better Things' on FX. It is soooo good.

billboard_NE likes this.
  15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I haven't.

Maybe this summer, when there's not much on...

16. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I still enjoy this. I caught up on Season 1 before the new one started and didn't realize Hader had that kind of acting in him. I thought it would be much more comedic than it is. It reminds me of Nurse Jackie in the way that they call it a comedy but it's really not.

17. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    There is comedy that is funny "ha-ha" and comedy that is funny "huh?".
    "Barry", like "Nurse Jackie", is an absurdist comedy without doubt (IMO).

18. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    NoHo Hank is hilarious though.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  19. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    That's North Hollywood Henry -- smarter person.

Regina, mlsnyc, getbak and 1 other person like this.
  20. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I didn’t like season one at all.

I’m really liking season two so far.