Bandwidth usage when tv is off

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Alfalfa4381, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Alfalfa4381

Alfalfa4381 New Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I am new to tivo. I have a tivo ota. When I cut my tv off at the end of the day, is tivo using bandwidth? I cut off suggestions, as I noticed that often it was recording two or more shows at a time. I want to know if tivo is affecting my network performance unnescssarily when I am not watching tv.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Recording TV makes no difference on your network bandwidth.
    That being said, a Tivo will be using bandwidth most of the time, that's it checking with the mothership, it's just part of the deal with Roamio units, it doesn't care if you're watching TV or not, it behaves the same.

3. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    That is, until the Bolt is released and offers IP TV OTT linear recordings from Comcast Wholesale! ;)

4. Peter G

Peter G Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Any bandwidth usage will be minimal. The programming content is coming OTA; only the guide info and TiVo communication (between your Roamio and TiVo) goes over the internet. This is not data intensive information.

Any communication between the Roamio and other TiVo units in your home (i.e. Mini's) is internal to your network and does not consume internet data.

Peter G

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Recording suggestions has nothing to do with the network usage.

If you turn off suggestions AND have the power usage settings to put the tivo in standby, you MIGHT save a tiny bit of power (some have measured it and disagreed).