Baking Shows?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Jan 18, 2019.

1. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Can someone give me a list of their favorite baking shows over the years? I tried watching Just Desserts because I really like Zumbo but I honestly just had to stop after episode 5 because I couldn't take another second of his "assistant". I did watch "Sugar Rush" because of him and I watched Season 1 of the Great British Baking Show and it was okay, may watch more of that.

I didn't see much else on Netflix and not sure where else to even look. I know over the years there have been a ton of them. I'm more interested in baking/dessert type shows but will consider all. Just need some mindless TV to watch here and there in between other more serious shows. :)

2. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    It's not really baking, but there are some desserts thrown in here and there on Top Chef. The current one is set in Kentucky, so expect a bourbon flair.

3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    A reality competition show or an actual instructional baking show?

4. dcrowell77

dcrowell77 Member

Dec 27, 2007
    The best 'learn to cook' show ever is Good Eats. They are replaying a bunch of them now because a new version is coming soon (yay!). Our favorite competition show is Great British Baking Show (GBBO). I think Chopped is okay too.

5. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    A reality show. Nobody wants me trying to learn to bake, trust me on that! :p

jsmeeker likes this.
  6. jeetkunedo

jeetkunedo Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Definitely check out the Great British Baking Show if you haven't yet.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I did watch season 1 of this. I'm not sure what the public opinion is but I kind of like that Paul Hollywood is a bit of a dick. I'm sure I'll go back and watch more of this.

8. oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I don't have a favorite baking show, but I did just watch this which I enjoyed

9. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I'll just second/third/fourth 'Great British Baking Show'. It's really the best food competition show I have ever seen. Paul is sorta prickly. But he's just the "tough guy" Marry Barry is supposed to be the grandmother everyone loves. But if you like just silly stuff and b.s. made up drama between the contestants, it's not for you.

I am not sure what this "Just Desserts" is you refer to, but I guess it's not Top Chef:Just Desserts? Because they actually had a few seasons of that a while back. But just like two or three. It's all it lasted. It's Top Chef with pastry chefs instead of cooks.

10. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Its hard to find stuff on Netflix and Amazon among all the clutter. Zumbo was actually finished and out of production for a year in Australia before Netflix renewed it for another season after it took off here

Great British Menu might interest you.
    I think there are a couple of seasons on Netflix now. Each day 3 different chefs make a different course for the menu from each region of the UK. Mondays (Starters), Tuesdays (Fish), Wednesday (Main), Thursday (Dessert), Friday the Final 2 redo their entire menu for the judges to decide which one moves to the Final Week. The winners for each course then have the honor of making the final menu at a big British banquet celebrating some big event each year. I think season 13 is this year in Britain.

Not really a competition type show, but I personally like to watch Jamie and Jimmy's Friday Night Feast, which is renamed Jamie and Jimmy's Food Fight Club on Netflix

Amazon Prime has several of Mary Berry's single season shows from the last few years. (mary berry cooks, merry berry country house secrets)
    PBS should have some, plus Create has cooking shows on all day if you happen to get that channel.
    Cooking Channel will have some including Masterchef Canada and Chopped Canada
    FoodNetwork has all the US competition type reality shows, Holiday Baking Championship, Christmas Cookie Challenge, Kids Baking Championship, Halloween Baking Championship, Spring Baking Championship, Clash of the Grandma's, Best Baker in America etc... There should be some free episodes on the food network webplayer and then entire seasons are on there if you have a pay tv login. Cutthroat Kitchen was one of my favorites. It may be on Netflix and most of the episodes are on the foodnetwork player now.

If you're not opposed to finding shows via download sites on the internet from other countries that haven't been made available in US
    There are celebrity specials of Great British Bake Off that I don't think have been made available to Netflix called Great Comic Relief Bake Off, Great Sport Relief Bake Off and Great Celebrity Bake Off Stand Up for Cancer.

There are Canadian, Irish, Australian, New Zealand and South African versions of the Great British Bake Off franchise, in addition to the US version on ABC.

The UK has a Professional version of Bake Off. It was called Bake Off Creme de la Creme for the first 2 seasons on BBC and renamed to Bake Off The Professionals with the change in UK Networks this past year.

Britains Best Bakery 3 seasons
    Britains Best Dish 3 Seasons
    Britains Best Dish The Chefs 1 season
    Celebrity Britains Best Dish 1 season
    Celebrity Masterchef UK (10), Irish (2), Australia (1) Seasons
    Masterchef UK (14), Irish (3) , Australian (10) , New Zealand (6)
    Masterchef The Professionals UK (12) Australia (1)
    New Zealands Best Home Baker 1 season
    Iron Chef UK (1), Australia (1) and Canada just finished their first season.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  11. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    No I'm definitely not looking for drama between anyone. I just want to marvel over all the talents of people making things I want to eat and have most times never even heard of! :)

No it's called "Zumbo's Just Desserts" and I was looking forward to it so much because like I said I really love him but that Gigi chick on there grates my nerves so hard I can't watch it. I tried to just block the sound of her annoying voice out but it's too powerful. She's worthless other than adding eye candy.

WOW that's quite a list you put together, thank you! :):)

12. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Just got done watching The Great Kiwi Bake Off but wouldn't recommend it because the hosts ruined the show. They would get up in the baker's face and do corny comedy bits while they are trying to do the most stressful part of the bake or when hurrying to get something on a plate before time runs out. Plus they were just not funny. But that bakers and judges were alright.

But I do recommend all the other country Bake Off shows.

osu1991 likes this.
  13. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I'm just on episode 2 of that one. The Hosts did seem annoying in the first episode. Kind of why I've not been in a hurry to continue it yet.
    Plenty of other things to watch at the moment with lots of UK/CA shows returning since the first of the year. Aussies are kind of in a lull since its summer there. Australian Bake Off should be returning soon. It ran Jan-March last year and they finished filming 6 months ago. Lifestyle AU has coming soon on their website, so I would expect it to start in the next couple of weeks

14. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I'm wondering if Cooking still has Masterchef Canada. As far as I know, they never aired the most recent season of it, normally they did in the fall. I had to obtain it via other means. For some reason I vastly prefer the canadian one to the US one (far prefer the hosts).

15. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I like Nailed It on Netflix to watch the disasters people make. It's funny! Even the onscreen graphics have a bit of snark to them. It's just fun watching average people try to make these complicated works of art in far too little time. :D It doesn't take itself seriously at all.

photoshopgrl and Regina like this.