Bag of Bones

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Watched part one last night. Jeez, what a snoozer. Poorly written, indifferently directed, and, except for Brosnan and George, atrociously acted. (I kept expecting the actor playing the EVIL guardian ad litem to snarl.) I know there was a story there but I swear it felt like nothing happened in part one.

It's a shame, I thought this was one of King's better, later books. Not sure if I'll even watch part two.

2. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I watched it when it first ran having never read or seen any of King's work. Don't think I will in the future, either.

3. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I had held off on watching this until just a few days ago. I couldn't get through part 1. I think I bailed about 2/3's in, if that.

I had read a couple good things on it, so I had hope for it but I found it pretty dull, and the "ghost" aspects about as spooky as Scooby Do. I think finishing up American Horror Story just a few days prior definitely had an effect on my expectations.

4. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    The book was excellent. I read it many years ago and forgot what it was about.

This would not be the first time a good King novel bombed on the screen. In fact, the only decent one that comes to mind is "The Shawshank Redemption".

5. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    There have been several successes, both commercial, and/or critical. Although, yeah, I agree the majority efforts have been sub par.

Coming to mind...

Carrie
    The Green Mile
    Misery
    The Dead Zone
    Salem's Lot
    Apt Pupil
    The Shining - the classic movie, although good, did admittedly veer a bit far from the novel; The miniseries of a couple years ago stuck much closer to the novel and was pretty good, too.

6. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    The original Carrie is a classic horror movie. Spacek and Laurie are amazing.

7. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Yeah, you are right, that there were a few successes. Cujo was also pretty good.

8. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I liked Stand by Me and Dreamcatcher as well.

9. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I powered through both parts a few weeks ago. I had to delete it immediately afterwards. Brosnan was not believable as a North American. Matt Frewer was his brother? As in sibling?? Nuh-uh.

The mini-series was so forgettable that I forget everything except that he was a writer who went to his cabin by the lake to write.

10. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    I can imagine the development meeting when someone excitedly announces "we can get PIERCE BROSNAN for the lead!!!"....and the movie was lost. Heck, Paulie Shore might have been a better fit. Kings books are hard to bring to film/video anyway. King spends so much time building the character in detail so we'll care for them when bad things inevitably happen. Films generally don't have that kind of time.

11. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Love the Tivo skip button. It wasn't as terrible as I expected from this thread but definitely not as good as the novel.
    Brosnan is typecasted as the grieving widower largely due to his own personal experience, IMO. I feel for him but I'm a little tired of seeing him in those roles.