Baffled with Comcast Philadelphia + Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by j_mosk, Aug 7, 2007.

1. j_mosk

j_mosk New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Here's the setup:

I've got a series 2 Tivo and a Comcast HD cable box.

The same cable is coming out of the wall, and split to both boxes.

Channel 14 on the Comcast box is VH1.
    Channel 14 on the Tivo is .. well, not VH1. It's like CSPAN or something.
    I cannot locate VH1 on my TIVO guide.

Channel 80 on the Comcast box is BRAVO.
    Channel 80 on the Tivo is.. well.. nothing.
    So, no Bravo on Tivo.

Grr.

So, I've got the TIVO set up correctly... or, correctly enough. I mean the channels as I flip by 5, 6, 7, 8, etc etc all line up correctly to the program guide.

But some of my faves are just.. MISSING.

So, I'm baffled. Is the TIVO set up correctly?
    Why are Channels 14 and 80 not the same?

Thoughts on getting TIVO to recognize all channels would be welcome.. especially if anyone is from Philly here with the same / similar setups. Thanks in advance, team.

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    In many markets comcast has switched to a full digital cable lineup through the box meaning it is completely different from the analog broadcasts. They are often a similar line up but there is no reason they have to be.

If you want to record shows from VH1 you will have to configure the Tivo to capture video from the cable box.

This is a major pain in the ass because Tivo doesn't normally allow you to say you have "Cable over RF plus Cable over composite"

I did this by setting the Tivo for "Cable over RF plus satellite over composite" and then removing all the satelite channels but one. I connected the video out from the cable box to the tivo and whenever I tune to this last remaining satellite channel I get the cable output. The guide data is completely wrong but as long as I set the cable box for the right channel and use manual record by time it works just fine even for recording downconverted HD content.

BTW the comcast firmware on the Motorola boxes suck ass. You will not get an on screen display when viewing HD content over composite out.

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Dual tuner or single tuner S2?

4. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    What is your zip code???

5. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    What does it matter if he has a dual tuner or not? Either way he is stuck.

6. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Interesting. This must be a Dual Tuner causing the problem where the analog channels bypass the cable box.

When we lived in Philadelphia and had cable, I had one TV hooked up directly to the outlet, and the other two had cable boxes.

The boxes assigned the stations correctly, but the one TV that was connected straight to the outlet had completely different stations, unrelated to the posted lineup. I had to make a list of what stations were actually on which channel.

7. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
  8. j_mosk

j_mosk New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Ack ack.. Sorry for the non-reply gang. I wasn't getting notified about the posts for some reason.

I'm in 19147.

Will read those lost "megory" links and let you know.

Thanks for the help thus far..