bad video and sounds all of a sudden.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by clovis8, Jan 19, 2006.

1. clovis8

clovis8 New Member

Nov 23, 2005

Advertisements

I have been using my Tivo for about a month but lately I am getting some artifacting of the video and some garbelled sound. Some shows are fine, but I recorded the OC today and it was unwatchable with very bad video and sound. Does this mean my hard drive is shot already? Given that it is only on some shows is it maybe a bad sector of the drive?

2. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    Do the obvious first if you haven't already. Reboot the TiVo. Check the cables and the incoming signal.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    If Hunter Green's suggestion doesn't help, post back with ....

* brand/model Tivo
    * how is the Tivo connected to the rest of your system (inputs/outputs, cables, connectors)?
    * what's your video source (cable, cable box, satellite receiver)?

4. clovis8

clovis8 New Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Tivo brand Series 2 with software 7.2
    Model TCD540040
    connected using coax
    source is Motorola DCT 2524

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...

Advertisements

I gather the reboot didn't help?

Using the RF coax connection between your Tivo and TV is the poorest connection. Does your TV have composite (RCA) or SVideo inputs? Try those instead of the RF connection.

Also, how is the cable box connected to your Tivo? Try to use the RCA or SVideo connections instead of RF coax cable.

Finally, does the problem happen on all channels or just a few? Which ones? Does it also happen if you remove the Tivo and connect the cable box directly to the TV?

6. lmarazzi

lmarazzi New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    I tried that today, video quality is so much better. Now I am trying to get the sound to work via an amplifier and surround sound. It's not happening yet.
    The amp has svideo for each of the peripherals, syill can't seem to get sound out. any help would be appreciated.