Bad Tuner(s) ??

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by prenger745, Nov 29, 2011.

1. prenger745

prenger745 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    I have 2 DSR708s. I will call them UPSTAIRS and DOWNSTAIRS. A few months ago UPSTAIRS tivo started having pixelation and skipping so I put in a new HD. It did not fix the issues so I started digging a little more. I noticed that it only happened on 1 of the 2 tuners and it was more prevalent as I went up in channels. For example, the "bad tuner" would work ok on Channel 4 but on Channel 236 it was unbearable. After some reading, I (wrongly or correctly) decided it was a bad tuner. The DOWNSTAIRS tivo had only ever used one tuner and it was fine. So I decided to swap TiVOs. UPSTAIRS tivo was moved to the downstairs, and one tuner was disabled and has no issues now. DOWNSTAIRS tivo was moved to the upstairs, the 2nd tuner activated and I have the same issue. 1 tuner works fine, the other skips and pixelates.

Could this be something other than bad tuners? Could it be a bad LNB? Bad Multiswitch?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Try swapping SAT IN cables on the back of the "bad" Tivo. Does the problem always stay on the same tuner, or move to the other one? Sounds like you might have a defective dish/multiswitch, or a problem with one satellite cable/connector.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    1 tuner good, 1 tuner bad on DirecTiVos, or any other strange symptoms on any TiVo, is often a sign of a flaky power supply.

Go read the wikipedia page on "capacitor plague" to learn how to spot the problem visually.

You can also further your education at badcaps.net

It's not a difficult or expensive fix, you just need to make sure you use low ESR, high temp (105C) capacitors of the correct microFarad (uF) rating and the same Working Voltage (or the next step up, like subbing a 10V for a 6.3V).

Also have a look at

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Repair-a-Hughes-HDVR2-Tivo-Power-Supply/

If there's a decent repair shop in your area, you might be able to get them to fix it fairly cheaply.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    But it's not a capacitor problem if the symptom follows one specific SAT IN cable.