Bad news for Xfinity Tivo customers

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by comet48, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Apr 9, 2019 #1 of 45
    comet48

comet48 New Member

Apr 17, 2004

Advertisements

Called in to Xfinity today, and was told that they are moving to MPEG4 from MPEG2, and once that happens, I won't be able to use a cable card - so my Tivo and HDHomerun Prime will be paperweights.

Xfinity suggested that I use their box, Direct TV which they own, or their new streaming service for $10 a month. The streaming service will allow you to record 20 hours a month to their cloud. As a Plex user, a real bummer.

Spoke to Tivo support, and they confirmed the above. Suggested I change cable providers - not an option here.

2. Apr 9, 2019 #2 of 45
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Which model TiVo do you own? All TiVos made in the last several years can decode MPEG-4 and work fine with Comcast cable. Same is true of the HDHomeRun Prime. CableCARDs do not require the cable signal to be in MPEG-2 either. They work fine with MPEG-4. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

3. Apr 9, 2019 #3 of 45
    unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    so many wrong things in this post
    -AT&T owns Directv...not Comcast
    -Dont talk to Tivo "support"...my 14 year old niece can give better advice. Ask here for info/advie
    -You CAN use a cable card with MPEG4 on a Tivo. My TivoHD and Roamio worked fine with Comcast MPEG4 in Minneapolis a couple years ago. I think the Series 3 (the OLED model) will NOT work with MPEG4

cwerdna, Rey and Bigg like this.
  4. Apr 9, 2019 #4 of 45
    unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    an old topic on tivo support

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Comcast-Transitioning-to-MPEG4-in-Select-Markets

TiVo devices in these areas will be affected in the following ways:
    BOLT Series UESs, Roamio Series DVRs, Premiere Series DVRs: Compatible with MPEG4. No change is required.

TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL: DVRs with a TSN prefix of 652 or 658 are now compatible with Comcast's MPEG-4 format.

TiVo Series3 HD: IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED! These DVRs will lose all HD cable channels.

You will need to upgrade to a BOLT Series UES or Roamio Series DVR to continue to receive Comcast HD channels via TiVo. To ease this transition, TiVo has special Roamio upgrade offers for affected customers. Contact TiVo Support to upgrade today.

5. Apr 9, 2019 #5 of 45
    comet48

comet48 New Member

Apr 17, 2004

Advertisements

You are right - AT&T own directTV-my bad. The advice I got regarding Tivo came from Xfinity AND Tivo. I didnt trust comcast, that's why I called Tivo. Agent put me on hold, talked to "engineering", and confirmed mpeg4 was a problem. I have a Roamio, which she knew.
    Tivo needs to do a better job informing its people.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  6. Apr 9, 2019 #6 of 45
    unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    so yeah you're good with the Roamio. No issues there
    I see nashguy said the homerun will work with MPEG4 too

7. Apr 9, 2019 #7 of 45
    comet48

comet48 New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Thanks everyone. I'm glad I posted here. Good news on the HDHomerun too. Called Comcrap because during what seems to be popular shows like last nights NCAA basketball, my service is dropping out on both cable cards. Is cable TV traffic limited? Or is it a broadcast signal?

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  8. Apr 9, 2019 #8 of 45
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I thought Comcast would have moved everyone to MPEG-4 by now. Started here at least three years ago.

cwerdna, Bigg and jrtroo like this.
  9. Apr 9, 2019 #9 of 45
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    There have been reported video issues with the NCAA across every provider I would say if you are not having drop out issues overall, then it is probably broadcast related in which it is the feed Comcast is getting and there is nothing you can do

10. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Maybe an issue with the strength of Comcast's signal on your line? You might need a Comcast technician to come out and have a look. If the problem persists on multiple channels, I'd call up Comcast support again and tell them that your service is dropping out and ask them if there's a charge to have a tech come out and check your wiring/signal strength.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  11. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    That sounds like a weak or too strong signal strength. The TiVo, on its Diagnostics screen, will tell you the signal strength for each tuner.

I pre-load all six tuners with the channels we watch most and then use Diagnostics to check the signal strength for each tuner. The tuners are numbered zero through 5.

Look for signal strength to be 80% to 95% and SNR to be around 34 to 36 dB.

Numbers that are too low, or too high...are bad. Even a reading of 100% is bad, because it might mean 100, 105, 110, 115...who knows.

If the signal is weak, you need Comcast to come out and fix it. If the signal is too strong you can add some attenuation and fix the problem yourself.

12. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    (starts chanting) cut the cord. Cut the cord. Cut The Cord! CUT THE CORD!
    :)

Bigg likes this.
  13. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Comcast is notorious for being a series of fiefdoms, and for things that get 85% done and then not finished until years later.

14. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Maybe the title of this thread should be updated or the thread merged to an older thread.

(I clicked thinking it was new and valid information.)

Kaphka, cwerdna, Bigg and 1 other person like this.
  15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Signal issue. It's highly unlikely both devices would have an issue with the CableCARD that would cause dropouts at the same time.

16. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I have a Roamio and have been on MPEG 4 for a few years. You don't need to do anything.

17. southerndoc

southerndoc TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    For some reason, I think Comcast has already switched to MPEG-4 here. How can I find out?

18. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    The link I posted above is old but Atlanta was on the list (Minneapolis wasn't but they are MPEG4 now)

Markets with HD Enhanced Programs
    These areas have already started the transition and have HD Enhanced Programs readily available:
    Georgia
    • Augusta
    • Atlanta

19. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Simple, go to a cable channel like USA or HBO and select info, it will say 720p instead of 1080i. CBS, ABC and NBC will still be 1080i.

You may also notice more storage space.

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As has been stated, MPEG4 shouldn’t be a problem for you. Of course, if the rep was confused and should have been instructing you on an impending transition to IPTV, that’d be different.

Rumor: Comcast may go all-IP for new subs by year-end