Bad News for Roku may also be Bad News for Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dadrepus, Sep 20, 2019.

1. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
  2. mntvjunkie

mntvjunkie Active Member

May 12, 2009
    Tivo doesn't even compete in this space. Their app offering, compared to a Roku, Apple TV, or even Comcast, is abysmal. They have nothing to worry about from Comcast, but Roku, Apple TV, and to a larger extent Amazon, are already leaps and bounds ahead of Tivo. Tivo's only value at this point is the ability to time-shift programs broadcast via cable or OTA TV. Once that goes, Tivo is gone. They no longer have the foresight to stay relevant in a post-cable world. (If they did, they would be a lot further along in introducing OTT apps to their platform and it wouldn't cost so much)

Smart move from Comcast though, linear cable will continue to decline as streaming services continue to provide a superior experience at a lower cost to most.

aaronwt likes this.
  3. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I would never use a cable companies streaming box. But there are people that would. The apps will be limited and the selection will be limited.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  4. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I guess you have to define "cable"... Xfinity Flex appears to be tied to their Internet service not cable TV service.

The Xfinity Flex TV Box is owned by Comcast and leased to you month-to-month. The first Xfinity Flex TV Box is included with your Internet service. Each additional box is currently $5 per month.

As such by default it's not limited and has a better than typical list of services at launch.

5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

The interesting thing regarding the FLEX is that it's a 'walk in' available at nearly all Xfinity Stores except those in the 'NO DATA CAP' area of the country. It needs to be done 'on-line' for those service areas. One has to wonder why! I've a friend who has DISH but Xfinity Internet BUT I'm sure he has no interest in even asking. See the 2d note in the FAq section.

A + would be an exchange for issues. Does require their 'gateway' so there's much info sacrificed I'm sure. I'd think most/many would go out of their way to see that Comcast has most current app etc. Ain't for me but for some I'd think it will do well.

Xfinity Flex Frequently Asked Questions – Xfinity

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  6. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    My guess is it's based on various (state) regulations, agreements when they purchased other providers and whatnot. A bad example is in Indiana retailers can't pay the Sales Tax for you... Fry's would often run such a promotion and it excluded Indiana and perhaps a few other states. Always wondered why they didn't simply offer a bigger discount here but no... :)

I think a free box via your (Internet) service provider has a great chance of success. By default it will win and unless given good reason hardly anyone would look elsewhere. Much like if they provided a free modem/router few would purchase their own. Heck even with their way over priced monthly fee modem/router I wonder what percentage replaces them.

7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Will the ability to record an IPTV signal be the savior of Tivo? The user interface is the best in the business of Tivo could record streams like it does qam it could save them. I don't know if that is even possible but it is a nice thought. ( I am aware I just complemented myself). Actually it is possible because there are a lot of systems out there recording streams every day. Uverse, FiOS and others do it. I don't know if trick play can be as snappy on IPTV as qam.

8. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Another perspective: https://www.multichannel.com/news/roku-says-it-controls-45-percent-of-us-cord-cutters

FWIW: I would generally prefer not to have my delivery experience dictated by a cable or Internet company. That would be contrary to the whole point of streaming, which is to help free me from the shackles of someone else deciding what I can and cannot watch based on which ridiculously expensive content package I happen to subscribe to.

EWiser and Charles R like this.
  9. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    In this case you wouldn't be subscribing to/paying for any (Internet provider) content package. At free if it serves the same services as Roku or whatnot why not. Of course if you can't install a (desired) missing app you'll more than likely have to spend a few bucks. Or will eventually Roku (and whatnot) be forced to be free as well...

10. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    If it is free from Comcast (or Charter or AT&T or Verizon for that matter), I expect it will only have the Apps they decide are allowable, plus they are totally going to track my viewing habits and use that information against me. If the Internet has taught me anything it is that Free==you are the product, not the customer.

11. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    NOthing bad happened to Roku the company. SAme company as last week.

Just the stock. The stock was overpriced big time. Somehow Roku was a $16 billion company despite only $750 million in sales and a loss of $32 million last year.

12. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Per the link above at launch it offers all of the apps I use. I have a Shield TV (Android TV) and there are plenty of Android TV apps that aren't supported at all or are crimped (missing features). Now being them (a big player) I tend to think providers will pay attention.

Not sure anyone doesn't track online activity and if one is concerned your choice of streamer will probably be the least of your concerns. A tracking blocking app such as pi-hole would come in handy. In the last 24 hours it has blocked 35.1% of my Internet destination requests... ads, tracking, etc.

13. BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Brilliant marketing by Comcast. This is nothing special and not even a good deal. A free box to use.. That puts you in their ecosystem (ad revenue), but more importantly, almost nobody has a single tv anymore. So a cord cutter would want the box on other TVs, $5/mo, each. They'll sell more ripoff boxes. Smart. And with their data cap, the more internet people use, the more money Comcast makes. Data is highly profitable.

There is almost nothing of value here, and it's not even a good deal. Good job selling it though.

14. BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I'm not convinced of this. Streaming sticks are so cheap, they are almost free. So the value in a free box is minimal. And you only get the Comcast box for one TV. Have to rent for the others. Who has one TV anymore?

15. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Free is only free if it's of value. Per launch it appears to offer all of the typical streaming apps and you can even add more... now if they lock out content providers like YouTube TV it may lose its value to some.

It boils down to how unattached it is from their own content provider services. Android TV is somewhat unique per device however if they don't actively block apps (and it has the right hardware specs) I could see it replacing my Shield TV... I would have never purchased.

If it does a nice job (not even counting any possible integration/benefits with the service itself) I can see mainstream users tacking on a few to their account for their TVs. Bottom line if it meets their needs I think it will win by default. If it doesn't it won't. I'm just guessing Comcast will "ensure" it does for most mainstream users. More so down the line as streaming matures.

Me. A 65" OLED for last few years. Oh there is another in the exercise area (unplugged) and a 125" screen/projector in the dedicated room. As far as TV viewing... one. :)[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  16. WhenenRome

WhenenRome Member

Nov 13, 2010
    This.

Here's another article from The Verge (owned by the same parent company as Comcast!) calling out the BS and real motives behind their "free box" offer: Comcast will give a free streaming box to its internet-only subscribers

compuguy and ncted like this.
  17. BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    [/QUOTE]

You are the exception! My dad, same. They have one TV. My point is that streaming devices are so cheap that even making this one free is meaningless. People want to be within their preferred ecosystem. Whether it's Apple, Amazon, Google, Roku, etc. Dropping $29 won't make a difference for people.

18. BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Good article. This box won't be the transformative move that some think. It'll be all of nothing. I have an internet only account at my second home, and I wouldn't even want the free box.

19. Charles R

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    My thinking is the preferred ecosystem is yet to be defined. We are faraway from the streaming platform being settled especially in regards to (future) mainstream users.

I'd love to pay $29 for the various Shield TV and Apple TV 4K devices I have purchased over the years... sadly I paid well over $150. Heck even the Roku was over a hundred (around $100 now). I did get a Fire TV 4K for free and have never even hooked it up. Now admittedly I'm not mainstream as it didn't meet my audio specs.

20. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    With regards to pi-hole, do you have problems viewing websites that prompt you to disable ad blockers, either on mobile or computers? Some sites no longer allow ad blockers at all.