Bad Hd or Power Supply?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by uablami, Jan 8, 2006.

1. uablami

uablami New Member

Jul 28, 2002

Advertisements

I have a 4 1/2 year old Series 2 TIVO (60 Hour) that starts the normal boot up process - grey screen to orange/black with the "Almost there. Just a few more minutes" and then the green light shuts off and the TV goes black. Is this a hard drive or power supply problem? Any recommendations on whether I should try to fix and if so, how?

If I cannot fix it, I have a lifetime subscription so would need to pay TiVo $149 for a refurbished replacement that may go bad in a year. Or, I would need to buy a new one (with a 4-year warranty from Best Buy) AND a new lifetime subscription! HELP!!

Mike

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It sounds more to me as if the TiVo was put into Standby mode. What happens if you press the TiVo button on the remote after it goes into this state?

3. uablami

uablami New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    Steve.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! How did you know that was the problem? You saved me a lot of frustration, time and money!!

Mike

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    "Been there, done that" most likely.:)

This is one of those things that a reboot doesn't fix.
    Why, because the TiVo stores its last state.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

Yes, definitely been there. But you are also not the first to ask such a question here, and your description of the symptom is exactly what happens with a TiVo in standby mode. The only aspect that puzzled me was that you must not have been watching the screen closely, because all the TiVos I have used (admittedly, not standalones recently) put up a message about pressing Live TV or the TiVo (DirecTV) button before the screen blanks.