Bad Caps! What to do?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Khaos13, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Khaos13

Khaos13 New Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Hello community! I am needing some help! I have a Tivo series 3 THX that is stuck in the "loop" as is discussed on lots of threads on this forum. I popped open my box and replaced the obviously bulging 2200uf25v located at C701. I put everything back together and really thought that I had fixed the problem but there was no change when I hooked back up the TIVO it continued in the "loop" as it had before. No other Capacitors are visibly bulging but many are obviously the known bad CapXon capacitors. Should I just replace all of the CapXon capacitors? Something else? or just replace the entire power supply? Obviously I would rather replace pieces rather than the entire thing but am stuck! Please help! Thanks in advance!

2. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    have you/how have you ruled out its not a bad hard drive?

3. Khaos13

Khaos13 New Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Honestly, I haven't. Not actually sure how to do that. It sounds like a power issue though when considering what I have read online. When I saw the bulging cap I thought that it was a slam dunk! Not so much..............

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Check out postings for kickstart codes to test the hard drive. I think that the Weaknees site has the applicable methods and codes for each Tivo box.

5. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I like DVR_Dude drives, i use 2 but defects happen. Let us know what you get with the KS codes. KS54 has a funny way of fixing things, if only temporary.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Pull the drive and hook it to a computer and run the manufacturer's diagnostics long test.

Is it the original drive or a replacement/upgrade?

If there's another cap in parallel with the one you replaced (you got the polarity right, right?), it should be replaced as well.

Apparently there are 2 different model S3 HD power supplies, one of which is visually very similar to the supply used in the original S3, and the other of which is the one in my HD.

In mine, there are two 2200uF caps in parallel, I think on the +5V rail, and another on the +12V rail.

Looping indicates some sort of failure to communicate properly with the hard drive, or something wrong with the stuff on the hard drive, so the +5 and +12V rails are the first ones to suspect.